Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

The Devils Alley Pub was open during last night's game. Good idea but they need to to enhance it somewhat.

First off, a larger bar concession area to build up the atmosphere. Also, how about some flat screens showing Devils highlights and some play of our retired legends? Let's see some highlights of Stevens, MacLean, Daneyko, Richer, Muller, etc., with some nice Emrick audio! A segment on huge body checks (led by Stevens, of course)! A segment on huge goalie saves (led by Marty, of course)! Embrace the Devils history and its championship play!

A work in progress will always be marketing and atmosphere granted, time to continue to roll up the sleeves and really push this organization to the top in fan appreciation!

Does anyone have any idea where this Penalty Box will be? I seem to remember word early on that the Devils wanted to have something like this as a part of the arena on street level, like the coffee shop that just opened. Is this gonna be it? Or is it gonna be inside the barn? Upstairs? Downstairs? Maybe this will be what goes into the mysterious open space way up top behind 225?

Maybe this will be what goes into the mysterious open space way up top behind 225?

Can't see how anyone would have access to it without walking up the stairs in between 226/5 and that's a no-no.. It is quite a weird space.. I thought they could put glass up, furnish it, and make it a larger suite.. Even if you charge like $500 for the night for it, that's still more than you're making leaving it open (and lit, for some reason)

I have spoken with people that work in the arena management and the restructure is viewed as a good thing. Basically it puts AEG back in the booking role and the management team under one role that is in synch with the devils org. The guy that is running the new entity is pretty well respected in the buiz so the soon to be former AEG people seemed happy about it. As for the pubs, I am surprised at the pace in which places have taken to fill in the arena but I guess its just a sign of the recession and people unwilling to invest in new ventures. Does anyone have pics of the new bar?

Can't see how anyone would have access to it without walking up the stairs in between 226/5 and that's a no-no.. It is quite a weird space.. I thought they could put glass up, furnish it, and make it a larger suite.. Even if you charge like $500 for the night for it, that's still more than you're making leaving it open (and lit, for some reason)

We snuck around up there during the season ticket holder's open house the week before the first game...it's accessible via elevator as well. It would make for an interesting party suite, but they'd have to have something special up there to make it worth it - you'd essentially be behind the cheapest seats in the house. They'd have to put up some large TVs and advertise the hell out of it to make you feel like it's something special when it isn't.

With the Devils Alley Pub up now, it's one of the more tantalizing empty areas left, though. Would love to see something unique happen up there.

We snuck around up there during the season ticket holder's open house the week before the first game...it's accessible via elevator as well. It would make for an interesting party suite, but they'd have to have something special up there to make it worth it - you'd essentially be behind the cheapest seats in the house. They'd have to put up some large TVs and advertise the hell out of it to make you feel like it's something special when it isn't.

That's why I'm thinking you charge something very small ( $500 would definitely sell ) and then make it a nice area with maybe a private bar, couches, huge TVs, private bathroom.. An extra $20.5 grand a year plus playoffs has to be worth it.. I mean if they can sell meeting rooms in the Platinum Lounge I'm sure they can sell this space.. How big is it?

That's why I'm thinking you charge something very small ( $500 would definitely sell ) and then make it a nice area with maybe a private bar, couches, huge TVs, private bathroom.. An extra $20.5 grand a year plus playoffs has to be worth it.. I mean if they can sell meeting rooms in the Platinum Lounge I'm sure they can sell this space.. How big is it?

I gotta be honest, I don't really remember - I was more concerned with not getting caught once we got off the elevator and wound up in the bowels of the arena where we obviously were NOT supposed to be, haha.

If I recall, it's a decent size - enough to make a nice game night lounge out of it. If they put in some nice amenities I could see them doing it.

On the other hand, though, with it being so out of the way, maybe a suite-type thing isn't the best way to go, either. A bar would be difficult because it seems inaccessible except for by elevator...I feel like there should some kind of unique idea out there for the space, but I can't come up with one.

I think the extra space is both inside and outside the arena will develop depending on what the market calls for. Right now without an NBA team and fewer dates they may just be waiting to see what the market calls for. I think that if Tucker moves at a decent pace with the hotel that you will see a larger push for the retail in that area and finally a restaurant in the front area.

Personally I am just waiting to see what happens with the state's budget because the city uses 40 mil from the state to plug the budget and it's rather hard to do projects like triangle park when there is no money.

Grand Downtown redevelopment is stalled indefinately now:

Cogswell Realty sues developer over Newark venture gone sour

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/cogswell_realty_sues_developer.html

this is the CORE area of downtown newark and the plans for it fell apart in 2007 which was 3 years ago and we are only NOW finding out about it. Nothing is going to happen downtown except for one off buildings that will have mediocore business. The curse of the mulberry promenade strikes again!

Broad St & Market St, Newark, NJ 07102: http://tinyurl.com/ybudpgs

Edited by block921

Newark really needs to get the Cordish Company involved to redevelope Broad, Market, Raymond and the surrounding area. Look at what they accomplished in downtown Atlantic City with The Walk:

http://www.acoutlets.com

as well as Baltimore's Inner Harbor. In AC they just didn't hit a homerun, they nailed a moon shot grand slam. Now the corridor from the boardwalk to the Convention Center/Train Station is full of retail shops, restaurants, nightclubs, etc., with a third phase of expansion already in progress. Newark needs to bring onboard firms with proven track records and some national chains to replace all the $hitty thrift shops downtown.

Hello? Cory Booker? Hello?

Newark really needs to get the Cordish Company involved to redevelope Broad, Market, Raymond and the surrounding area. Look at what they accomplished in downtown Atlantic City with The Walk:

http://www.acoutlets.com

as well as Baltimore's Inner Harbor. In AC they just didn't hit a homerun, they nailed a moon shot grand slam. Now the corridor from the boardwalk to the Convention Center/Train Station is full of retail shops, restaurants, nightclubs, etc., with a third phase of expansion already in progress. Newark needs to bring onboard firms with proven track records and some national chains to replace all the $hitty thrift shops downtown.

Hello? Cory Booker? Hello?

Definitely. They've done good things and are still working on developments even in this economy. I think Newark could be a big thing for them.

I already jumped in on quade's list but block is being bitter about the whole Cogswell thing. The article is a bit misleading in the buildings in question. I had to read it 5 times but if I'm correct this merely a dispute in regard to an advance taken to complete an acquisition of parcels (either the theater building between beaver and broad on market or the first two buildings on market when walking from mulberry to broad. As I posed in the WiredNewYork forum, this is the result of developers grabbing everything they could and now having to reduce inventory during a recession. Ultimately either lots will be sold or developed as long as the numbers make sense. Right now, the asking price for the retail is two high and that is causing pause for people to come in and pay for a whole build out. That being said, every day that Brick City does well justifies someone will capital to invest in a project either on Edison or on Market.

I already jumped in on quade's list but block is being bitter about the whole Cogswell thing. The article is a bit misleading in the buildings in question. I had to read it 5 times but if I'm correct this merely a dispute in regard to an advance taken to complete an acquisition of parcels (either the theater building between beaver and broad on market or the first two buildings on market when walking from mulberry to broad. As I posed in the WiredNewYork forum, this is the result of developers grabbing everything they could and now having to reduce inventory during a recession. Ultimately either lots will be sold or developed as long as the numbers make sense. Right now, the asking price for the retail is two high and that is causing pause for people to come in and pay for a whole build out. That being said, every day that Brick City does well justifies someone will capital to invest in a project either on Edison or on Market.

You're more in the know about things like this than I am, but I feel like, more than anything, there's just this logjam/stalemate/game of chicken being played in regard to selling property in the downtown area. Are the current owners just too stubborn to be the first to sell, risking the loss of a lot more money down the line as land is redeveloped and property values climb (similar to the renaissance in Hoboken and areas of Brooklyn, etc), or is that a gross oversimplification of things? (In addition to the Cogswell mess...)

Commercial Real Estate is a tricky game and typically gets treated like an asset class in ones 401k portfolio. Newark was unique in that alot of key properties were owned by a few individuals even prior to Cogswell coming in (he bought the Chambers portfolio- I think it was called the new newark foundation). Right now it's going to take owners that actualy are willing to take the risk in the properties (like a Stern or Hanini) and a bank or Investor willing to back them. Once that is paired up you would need the subsidies to do a high profile project (ie Large project almost immediately require union workers which in tern requires tax credits, infastructure pledges ect to make it work). I would be surprised to see anything start in 2010 but 2011 should see the start of Dranoffs project, The hotel and even Seton Hall. Right now the large banks that can actually finance these projects and turn them into securities are building up war chest in their loan loss reserves. In the near future they will be forced to put that back into income and therefore reinvest it. As for the pace of everything else, It's going to take micro retailers that make the area trenady first. Once that retail is self sustaining you will see the ability of a big box store to come in and make it work.

Commercial Real Estate is a tricky game and typically gets treated like an asset class in ones 401k portfolio. Newark was unique in that alot of key properties were owned by a few individuals even prior to Cogswell coming in (he bought the Chambers portfolio- I think it was called the new newark foundation). Right now it's going to take owners that actualy are willing to take the risk in the properties (like a Stern or Hanini) and a bank or Investor willing to back them. Once that is paired up you would need the subsidies to do a high profile project (ie Large project almost immediately require union workers which in tern requires tax credits, infastructure pledges ect to make it work). I would be surprised to see anything start in 2010 but 2011 should see the start of Dranoffs project, The hotel and even Seton Hall. Right now the large banks that can actually finance these projects and turn them into securities are building up war chest in their loan loss reserves. In the near future they will be forced to put that back into income and therefore reinvest it. As for the pace of everything else, It's going to take micro retailers that make the area trenady first. Once that retail is self sustaining you will see the ability of a big box store to come in and make it work.

Phew... Heady stuff. I will stick to stuffing my fat face.

Look at the bright side, Newark is great for stuffing our faces. I got to bring distance relatives as well as a guy from brazil out to Fernandez on Friday and that worked out terrific. Even the Brazilian guy couldn't believe it.

Fernandes is great. And there's so many other places that warrant mention. I can't wait to take a day off from work and spend it on gluttony around town.

You're more in the know about things like this than I am, but I feel like, more than anything, there's just this logjam/stalemate/game of chicken being played in regard to selling property in the downtown area. Are the current owners just too stubborn to be the first to sell, risking the loss of a lot more money down the line as land is redeveloped and property values climb (similar to the renaissance in Hoboken and areas of Brooklyn, etc), or is that a gross oversimplification of things? (In addition to the Cogswell mess...)

Its 2 fold, one the current tenants/owners say they have been there for decades so why should they move and lose their land that was handed from previous generations. Two owners know what a huge deal rebuilding the arena would mean for the city so they want top dollar which there isn't a budget for and current redevelopment plans can't afford to pay out without cutting corners or raising the costs of the new properties to be on par with New York or even higher. Thus we are stuck in a stalemate till the economy implodes and there is no interest in the lands and then they can bought for cheap. OR one by one owners slowly fold and take the money but that could take YEARS if not decades and you will end up with patchwork developments that don't fit together

At anyrate it looks like Ratner got his bonds which is one more nail in the coffin of nets to newark: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/2009/12/3940_nets_arena_bond.html

Edited by block921

Its 2 fold, one the current tenants/owners say they have been there for decades so why should they move and lose their land that was handed from previous generations. Two owners know what a huge deal rebuilding the arena would mean for the city so they want top dollar which there isn't a budget for and current redevelopment plans can't afford to pay out without cutting corners or raising the costs of the new properties to be on par with New York or even higher. Thus we are stuck in a stalemate till the economy implodes and there is no interest in the lands and then they can bought for cheap. OR one by one owners slowly fold and take the money but that could take YEARS if not decades and you will end up with patchwork developments that don't fit together

At anyrate it looks like Ratner got his bonds which is one more nail in the coffin of nets to newark: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/2009/12/3940_nets_arena_bond.html

On the positive side to the gloom and doom the various different foreclosures and property swaps are driving down prices for a lot of things including bars. I noticed that Guitar bar was put up for sale (that puts it at about 10 different bars I know of in the Ironbound or Downtown for sale). This drop in price should open up to new enthusiastic owners so I am looking forward to that. This is a sort of natural cycle so Im fine with it, it allows for places like Hells Kitchen to exist.

• 2 weeks later...