Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

They have the Red Bulls right there in Harrison. Oh wait, you mean that football. :evil:

Any word on whether Port 44 is open yet?

I was talking to soemeon that is friendly with the owners the other day and he was saying the city engineering department was holding them up with their CO. I havent' spoken witht the owners or bin inside but from what I saw yesterday through the window it looked like Scullys with their own beer.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone whose been in the area seen if they've done more work on the two buildings on Edison Place since the playoffs ended? Looked like they were starting work on them around a month or two ago.

Posted this over in Hell but it applies here as well.

newjerseydevils.com

Here is a very good and detailed article on Vanderbeek and some things that are on the plate for the Devils in the upcoming weeks, months and years. And it has a sick picture of Shaq and Dano as well (have to scroll down)

- Currently he's going over Nets "artwork" for the arena

-Transitioning the arena for getting the Nets in

-Disappointed by the first round exit- "missed opportunity"

-“I believe in New Jersey. I believe it’s a great place to live. I believe that there are very prideful people here that can get behind the only team that has an ‘NJ’ on its chest; that is committed from A to Z in the state. I believe in the economic engine of the state.”

-Prudential Center has helped to fuel that engine, generating nearly $15 million in economic activity and creating 708 jobs, according to a story last month in The New York Times. The arena staffs 1,400 employees on event nights.

- On Kovy..

“I think it is [early], for a lot of reasons,” Vanderbeek says. “He’s playing in the World Championship; we’re going through our post-mortem, if you will, for the season. We don’t even know where the salary cap’s going to end up for next year. For all of those reasons, it is premature. We’re certainly going to do what we can to sign Kovalchuk for next year, but there’s a lot of pieces to that puzzle.”

-Home sellouts nearly doubled, improving to 18 from the previous season’s 10. Then there were moments like March 17, when the team wore its original red and green colors for the first time since 1992 and completed a series sweep of Pittsburgh. Current plans are to have the team go retro once a season.

-NHL knows NJ wants the Winter Classic

-Work is underway on a “burger and brew” eatery next to the Brick City Coffee Co., which opened last season. Two sports bars are planned for Edison Place across from the arena box office, and are expected to open during the upcoming season. Designs have been submitted for Triangle Park, which will be located across from the front of the arena on Mulberry Street. The park’s groundbreaking could happen as early as this fall.

Construction will begin on a Courtyard by Marriott on the corner of Broad and Lafayette streets following a groundbreaking targeted for Sept. 1.

-Very excited for Nets coming as it gives the arena more exposure

-“We’re just starting to hit our stride with that 25-year-old that grew up with the Devils and are hitting that age where they can actually afford to buy Devils tickets. Our future is bright in that regard. Certainly, being New Jersey’s team is a special thing for us.”

-“We made the playoffs for 19 of 20 seasons, we set a record for the longest number of years over .500 of any active team in the four leagues, so it’s 132 teams,” Vanderbeek says. “That doesn’t come by accident. We’re going to continue to do whatever it takes to make this team the best it can be with the goal to win the Stanley Cup. If you come see us, that’s what you’re going to see.

-“And if you haven’t seen what I think is the most beautiful arena in the world, you need to come see it.

Edited by The Rock 07

Glad to hear that there will be more bars and burger places within sight of the arena. This is the only thing that is kind of lacking in the immediate area. I stumbled onto Brice City Bar and Grill at the game I went to and it was great. Hopefully there will be more bars nearby soon.

People unfamiliar with the area do not like to venture too far away from the arena.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see the spur of new items, I had feared the thread had died....In other news I saw the steal beams rising from the new building next door to the new restuarant on Ferry (one block after Iberia and Mompou) so I am excited about that.

Oh cool! Any activity on Edison Place?

Oh cool! Any activity on Edison Place?

Haven't gone by Edison because traffic is crazy recently with the red bulls and all the sewer work. I haven't seen block on here recently but he posted about NJIT working on it's athletic facility and they have all the steel wall gurders up so they are moving rather quickly.

• 1 month later...

Thierry Henry signed with the Red Bulls. That should boost their attendance a lot. Theres also rumor that they are going after Mexican captain Rafa Marquez. That would guarantee sellouts every match.

Ugh - marquez is a tool... he was said to be waiting for the miami franchise ..

Are there any parking lots under $15 within a half mile of the arena? I park in 6,7 or 8 usually and pay $15 and that is about a half mile. Believe me I dont mind the walk I'm just trying to save a buck.

On game nights I don't know, I woudl just park on Halsey or Ferry or in that vacinity of the Ironbound. The parking lots are pretty much all rip offs and I have heard theft stories from them, so IMO there isn't a benifit.

Entirely seperate question: Did anyone going to the Kovy event yesterday see how the building Edison is moving along, maybe snap a picture?

I feel terrible that I haven't gotten a pic but I might get some for the Adamek fight on the 21rst, assuming I am sober enough to opperate a camera. I drove down Mullberry the other day and it seems they scrapped the concept of having windows or any entrance facing the plaza.

I feel terrible that I haven't gotten a pic but I might get some for the Adamek fight on the 21rst, assuming I am sober enough to opperate a camera. I drove down Mullberry the other day and it seems they scrapped the concept of having windows or any entrance facing the plaza.

Oh thats too bad. Is it still that fake brick facing the plaza? I'm still hoping they'll put the windows in though.

Yup, as of this week it's just the fake brick and it looks like the moved the entrace to the other side of the building(where the garage used to be).

Anything on the middle building between there and Brick City or anywhere else?

I drove by today and they were just doing work on both buildings but it looked like the were still in the process of gutting the buildings. On a side note I checked one of the links on this site refferencing Vanderbeek's tour and there was soom good input on the development:

When I read this and noticed the specific references midway down to the bars opening on Edison.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/7/27/1591478/jeff-vanderbeek-new-jersey-devils