MARTY HITS 30 AGAIN

SC Devs Fan

Gionta, the Devils' record goal-scorer, says the trade rumors involving his underperforming name are news to him. "I haven't heard it," he said of the rumbles that are would include him in a deal for Chicago's Martin Havlat or Florida's Olli Jokinen. "But here, no one hears much of anything," Gionta said. "You can only go out and play. You can't worry about it. It's part of the game that you can't control and can't worry about."

The shootout has kind of made the 30 win season less meaningful but this record is amazing none the less. When you include the shootout, 35 wins a season is pretty much the standard for a strong season.

But even when you consider the shootout, it is still hard to get wins for a goalie. Last year Marty got the 48 wins and even though this total was aided by shootouts, it's going to be very hard to reach that # for any goalie in this league. Marty has pretty much continued his stellar play from last season and he will be lucky if he gets to within 5 of last years record. So many things have to go right to reach that many wins.

If his health holds up, I think Marty is going to continue to play even after his current contract is up. He plays a style that isn't that taxing on the body and 700 wins isn't out of the question for him, as long as the Devils stay good of course. As competitive as he is, something tells me he is going to set the bar so high for # of wins that nobody is going to be able to touch it. He always says wins are the most important thing to him so I cant see him wanting to let go of his record once he obtains it. And it will be a very long time before there is a goalie that comes around like him again to even challenge the record.

Edited by SickMan