The Daily Show

oofrostonoo

The rest of the episode was good. He interviews Newt Gingrich and spoke about how they highlighted the fact that her daughter was courageous to make the decision to keep the baby. They kept using the phrase "decision to keep the baby" when talking about it. He then makes a good point about how her policy, even if rape was involved would not allow her daughter to make the decision, it would be the governments.

Not looking for a huge argument but didn't we have a discussion a few months ago that the Daily Show could play looser with the facts, even to the point of almost ignoring them, specifically because they're a comedy show and not a news show? It was either them, SNL, or both...or I had that discussion with someone else who really loved the news from one of those shows.

Not looking for a huge argument but didn't we have a discussion a few months ago that the Daily Show could play looser with the facts, even to the point of almost ignoring them, specifically because they're a comedy show and not a news show? It was either them, SNL, or both...or I had that discussion with someone else who really loved the news from one of those shows.

that is true. they are a comedy show which will spin things to make a point... but man, take a look at the clip here and tell me what facts they are playing loose with or ignoring.

that is true. they are a comedy show which will spin things to make a point... but man, take a look at the clip here and tell me what facts they are playing loose with or ignoring.

I wasn't talking about this instance in particular. Just that this was the problem for the show because people less informed can't tell the difference between the black and white facts and the parts done for comedy anywhere near as well as someone informed. So the show wants to have it's cake and eat it because Stewart wants to make serious points at times and be serious but then doesn't want to be treated as if he is doing a comedy show, but still wants the protection of the show being "comedy" if he wants to be loose with things.

Watching the clip, Stewart did that reporting but did he do a Joe Biden comparison with saying that Obama wasn't experienced enough for president? Probably not. But he is not getting the, oh we can't bring him up or listen to him because he is biased. If I put up a National Review article it would probably be ignored and ridiculed because of it's "bias" regardless of if it was factual or not.

I wasn't talking about this instance in particular. Just that this was the problem for the show because people less informed can't tell the difference between the black and white facts and the parts done for comedy anywhere near as well as someone informed. So the show wants to have it's cake and eat it because Stewart wants to make serious points at times and be serious but then doesn't want to be treated as if he is doing a comedy show, but still wants the protection of the show being "comedy" if he wants to be loose with things.

Watching the clip, Stewart did that reporting but did he do a Joe Biden comparison with saying that Obama wasn't experienced enough for president? Probably not. But he is not getting the, oh we can't bring him up or listen to him because he is biased. If I put up a National Review article it would probably be ignored and ridiculed because of it's "bias" regardless of if it was factual or not.

when did he ever say that he "doesn't want to be treated as if he is doing a comedy show"?

and sure its biased... heck, the first part describes all republicans as homosexuals in a not that funny sketch.

when did he ever say that he "doesn't want to be treated as if he is doing a comedy show"?

and sure its biased... heck, the first part describes all republicans as homosexuals in a not that funny sketch.

Didn't he go on hardball or something and get all pissed off because the guy didn't treat him as a serious news man?

Edit: Found it

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/bl...rtcrossfire.htm

This is just picking out some of the transcript:

TUCKER CARLSON: Well, he's been called the most trusted name in fake news. Next, we're joined by Jon Stewart for his one-of-a-kind take on politics, the press and America.

PAUL BEGALA: Welcome back to CROSSFIRE.

STEWART: Thank you very much. That was very kind of you to say. Can I say something very quickly? Why do we have to fight?

Stewart was not happy there it was implied he runs a fake news show....even though it's true, because he wants it to be taken seriously.

STEWART: If you want to compare your show to a comedy show, you're more than welcome to.

(LAUGHTER)

CARLSON: No, no, no, here's the point.

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: If that's your goal.

CARLSON: It's not.

STEWART: I wouldn't aim for us. I'd aim for "Seinfeld." That's a very good show.

So he wasn't happy being a fake news show at the start of the episode but wanted the protection of being a comedy show later on when he was being asked why he doesn't ask tougher questions of his guests. Some people may not see it that way but I think he wants to be taken seriously when he makes points but also wants to be allowed to be ridiculous as well, but doesn't want to have to say when he is playing which role so he can always fall back on it just being comedy.

Edited by Devils731

Not looking for a huge argument but didn't we have a discussion a few months ago that the Daily Show could play looser with the facts, even to the point of almost ignoring them, specifically because they're a comedy show and not a news show?

No one plays looser or make things up as much as Fox "News".

HAHAHAHA.

Love the loony libs gettin' their panties in a bunch 'cause no one watches the liberal networks.

what? are you for real, panties? loony? (ok, the guy is not correct in what he's saying but come on)

leeds seriously, you are going to have to pay me 1c for each time you use loony between now and the election... i'll be back with the bill in a few months

The clip didn't have the change, the transcript I posted does a better job at showing it, I think.

link?

No one plays looser or make things up as much as Fox "News".

But the AP article you just posted was straight down the middle?

I think it' s a joke that things liberal slanted can get posted because the "facts" are true but a conservative slanted piece can't get a serious discussion because it's "facts" supposedly aren't true. I mean really, it's hard to slant more than the Daily Show but this is fine to take as fact but something from Fox News would get torn apart here.

link?

I posted it up above.

The clip didn't have the change, the transcript I posted does a better job at showing it, I think.

But it's out of context, if you watch the clip you can clearly see his intent is exactly the opposite of your quote and I think that really shows the power misquoting can have (not that you did this intentionally). Stewart is saying he is a comedy show and that's where his responsibilities end. I had the privileged to go to a taping of the Daily Show, and I encourage anyone in the NYC area to do so, it's free and a great evening. They bring out a 15-20min stand up comic to sort of warm you up and the point I want to get at is for about 20min before the show Jon actually comes out and talks and fields questions from you.

Someone asked him from our group (and this was around the time of the 2004 elections) when he was going to run for president and he came back with (and I'm paraphrasing this was a while ago) "I'm flattered but I am no where near qualified enough to be president, what I do here is just comedy because this is what I enjoy doing. On the show we aren't trying to make political points, just to have a laugh"

I think it' s a joke that things liberal slanted can get posted because the "facts" are true but a conservative slanted piece can't get a serious discussion because it's "facts" supposedly aren't true. I mean really, it's hard to slant more than the Daily Show but this is fine to take as fact but something from Fox News would get torn apart here.

I posted it up above.

And you aren't trying to "tear apart" the Daily Show in your comments?

Idk, yea the DS has leans left, especially in recent years but I think it's hard to argue with that montage they put together. If Fox or any news agency came up with one ofr the Democrats I would like to see it because the hypocrisy is so prevalent and obvious that it bears viewing. They should show that clip on every station.

But it's out of context, if you watch the clip you can clearly see his intent is exactly the opposite of your quote and I think that really shows the power misquoting can have (not that you did this intentionally). Stewart is saying he is a comedy show and that's where his responsibilities end. I had the privileged to go to a taping of the Daily Show, and I encourage anyone in the NYC area to do so, it's free and a great evening. They bring out a 15-20min stand up comic to sort of warm you up and the point I want to get at is for about 20min before the show Jon actually comes out and talks and fields questions from you.

Someone asked him from our group (and this was around the time of the 2004 elections) when he was going to run for president and he came back with (and I'm paraphrasing this was a while ago) "I'm flattered but I am no where near qualified enough to be president, what I do here is just comedy because this is what I enjoy doing. On the show we aren't trying to make political points, just to have a laugh"

But listening to the clips originally I believe he was upset that he got called a fake newsman, which is exactly what he is. Stewart being upset is what led the discourse down the contentiouis path it went. I don't believe what I posted is out of context, it shows him being upset at being fake news and then shows him being upset for being too soft with his interview.

I don't believe he can shift gears without saying what he is doing and still be taken as serious as he wants. If he wants to do a comedy show then it's a comedy show and not to be taken seriously, if it's a news show then it needs to be clear when news is not being presented.

look, i do not agree with your conclussions to what he says. are you really reading that into what is being said or are you just out to prove a point?

You asked me for a link and I presented one, should I not have pointed out that I posted it?

So he wasn't happy being a fake news show at the start of the episode but wanted the protection of being a comedy show later on when he was being asked why he doesn't ask tougher questions of his guests. Some people may not see it that way but I think he wants to be taken seriously when he makes points but also wants to be allowed to be ridiculous as well, but doesn't want to have to say when he is playing which role so he can always fall back on it just being comedy.

no, what he is saying is that crossfire cannot claim that they are better than the daily show to prove a point... of course they should be better... but that they need to aim higher than comparing themselves with his comedy program.

steward again and again says that he is on comedy central, that the show before his are puppets making crank phone calls. does that sound like a man that want to be taken like a serious news guy?

And you aren't trying to "tear apart" the Daily Show in your comments?

Not really. I'm saying it's either ok to look at everything, which is probably closest to where I stand, or it's not ok to look at anything with a slant. It isn't reasonable to say this slanted piece is ok to take the facts out of but this other slanted piece is not to do the same because it's slanted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.