Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

I think Reyes is fine. People get too worked up over his excitement for the game and they take it the wrong way. If you try and take away Reyes' way he plays the game it might not work out too well.

Though if you are strictly talking about the little things like trying to take the extra base when its not needed, routine groundballs booted, etc, I can somewhat understand, although those type of things always happen in baseball, no player is going to be perfect.

Looks like the Mets are granting CR's wish to make Citi Field more Mets-like. Dave Howard actually hinted about these changes during the interview with Francesca a month ago.

The New York Mets today announced plans to expand the presence of club history at Citi Field next season in a variety of ways including renaming areas of the ballpark after Casey Stengel, Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver and William A. Shea.

The Mets also have re-formed the Mets Hall of Fame Committee, and will increase the number of visuals commemorating great players and moments both inside and outside the ballpark. The Mets previously announced a 2010 opening of the Mets Hall of Fame & Museum at Citi Field.

Full Article: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/#ixzz0XXQ6GZRC

Anyway, that's really great news. The Mets' HoF and Museum sounds like its going to be really cool.

Edited by nmigliore

Looks like the Mets are granting CR's wish to make Citi Field more Mets-like. Dave Howard actually hinted about these changes during the interview with Francesca a month ago.

Full Article: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/#ixzz0XXQ6GZRC

Anyway, that's really great news. The Mets' HoF and Museum sounds like its going to be really cool.

Good news, in that this absolutely needed to be done.

Frustrating, in that the Wilpons aren't capable of figuring this stuff out for themselves. It takes them falling flat on their clueless faces first. It shouldn't have taken a full season for them to realize that, yeah, Met fans want to see a ballpark that prominently displays and honors Met history. This was obvious to everyone except the Wilpons and whoever advises them.

But what matters most is that they're actually SOLVING THE PROBLEM. In Wilponland that's a massive step forward.

The team set their 40-man roster for the Rule V draft and they have 4 spots open. Unfortunately they decided to keep the useless Arturo Lopez on the 40-man yet they let Adam Bostick (LH reliever), who had a nice year in AAA, walk since he was a minor league free agent. I just don't understand that logic. Lopez is NOT better than Bostick, and I still wonder why they never even gave Bostick a look in September. I know he was never on the 40-man but they could have easily removed Lopez or some other useless body.

Bostick can't seem to stay healthy, he's 26 and he was bad 2 of the last 3 seasons and he was only marginally good this past season in very limited time.

Bostick and Lopez are both pretty mediocre, I don't think you win with either of them. If I had to guess I would say Lopez probably is better suited as a reliever while the Mets were seeing if Bostick could convert to a reliever. Both of them walk guys too often and don't pitch enough, they're 6 and 1 half dozen.

Bostick can't seem to stay healthy, he's 26 and he was bad 2 of the last 3 seasons and he was only marginally good this past season in very limited time.

He was used as a starter prior to this year. They made him strictly a reliever this year (he made 1 spot start), and according to Toby Hyde they changed his arm slot even.

Bostick and Lopez are both pretty mediocre, I don't think you win with either of them. If I had to guess I would say Lopez probably is better suited as a reliever while the Mets were seeing if Bostick could convert to a reliever. Both of them walk guys too often and don't pitch enough, they're 6 and 1 half dozen.

I'm just saying it was disappointing to see them keep Lopez over Bostick, because I believe Bostick is better, regardless of how mediocre either of them are. And giving him (or either of them for that matter) a look in September wouldn't have hurt, particularly Bostick who at least deserved a look after having a solid year. Lopez was pretty 'meh' as a Bison while at least Bostick had a solid K-rate and hit rate (the 4.2 BB/9 was not pretty though).

Bostick is getting lit in winterball though, so that might have also been a deciding factor in letting him walk and keeping Lopez, and I also remember Mike Harrington (he covers the Bisons) reporting Bostick wasn't throwing as hard late in the season compared to how hard he threw in the summer.

Its certainly nothing to lose sleep over, its hardly a move of any significance, and a guy like Bostick is replaceable as you note, but it would have been nice to see them keep Bostick around and give him another year as a reliever in AAA to try and improve considering that was only his 1st season as a full-time reliever, opposed to Arturo Lopez who was clearly even more mediocre.

Edited by nmigliore

New Mets' pinstripe jerseys (cream colored), which will replace the old ones:

comparison.png

I really like them the more that I look at them, actually. Not a huge fan of the black drop shadow on a retro jersey but it doesn't look too bad.

Edited by nmigliore

I've reached the point where I'd like to see the Mets cut back to two jerseys...three at most. Make this new off-white pinstripe the new home uniform ALL of the time.

Dump the following:

home white sans pinstripes (I want to see pinstripes at home as much as possible)

away gray (boring)

The away blacks are fine. I guess the home blacks are too (as an alternate), though I want to see the new off-whites worn for most of the home games. But it's time the Mets downsized, as far as jerseys go...5 different jerseys is absurd. Simplify the caps too.

please feel free to quote me on July 12 or thereabouts when we are out of contention...

You know the Yankees won the World Series, so you can always go jump on the Yankee bandwagon if the team upsets you that much.

I do find it funny you police people in the Chat for being negative during Devils games yet you're openly a negative nancy here. Yeah lets just dismiss the 2010 season for no apparent reason, and during November no less. Thats the spirit.

Edited by nmigliore

You know the Yankees won the World Series, so you can always go jump on the Yankee bandwagon if the team upsets you that much.

I do find it funny you police people in the Chat for being negative during Devils games yet you're openly a negative nancy here. Yeah lets just dismiss the 2010 season for no apparent reason, and during November no less. Thats the spirit.

dude -this org is a train wreck from the top down .. major changes need to be done in order for them to get back into the correct direction ..

having said that, I threw that out as a joke and I thought you were joking too .. but I am not changing my opinion in the unis

and by the way I in no matter whatsover police for negativity in chat - I rather try to seek out the harbinger of bad luck (which on most nights is someone named mike or moustic) - so if you are so inclined to come into chat and the other team scores shortly thereafter.... you will be kicked... no questions asked

dude -this org is a train wreck from the top down .. major changes need to be done in order for them to get back into the correct direction ..

and by the way I in no matter whatsover police for negativity in chat - I rather try to seek out the harbinger of bad luck (which on most nights is someone named mike or moustic) - so if you are so inclined to come into chat and the other team scores shortly thereafter.... you will be kicked... no questions asked

Look I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, I just can't stand reading all the negativity about next season before anything has even happened (I see it a ton on a Mets' board I'm on, not so much here). I honestly couldn't tell if you were kidding or not -- you rarely post in this thread and you seemed pretty serious that you were dismissing the 2010 season before the offseason truly even began.

Regarding the organization - I won't disagree with you. I don't like Jerry and I'm no Omar or Wilpon fan either. I'm willing to give Omar another offseason to save his job though.

Again if you were kidding, then I apologize, I did not know it.

Edited by nmigliore

No worries.. I think our owner has his head up his ass and the gm lost all clue to what the job entails and is willing to throw people under the bus to come out clean - Jerry is doing the best he can but he is not the right manager for the team either. With all that in disarray.. its hard to build a winning club, it just trickles down.

No worries.. I think our owner has his head up his ass and the gm lost all clue to what the job entails and is willing to throw people under the bus to come out clean - Jerry is doing the best he can but he is not the right manager for the team either. With all that in disarray.. its hard to build a winning club, it just trickles down.

No doubt...the Wilpons come off as amateur buffoons more often than not. And there's nothing harder than trying to overcome bad/dumb ownership. The silver lining is that the Wilpons will at least spend money. There's times where they can come off as cheap, but apart from the Yankees, who spend in a league all their own, the Mets are right up there in payroll.

Yeah, Omar is a POS used car salesman who should have been fired. I agree that he'll throw anyone under the bus when it comes to his job. He has weasel written all over him. When he loses this job (and he WILL), I don't see another team hiring him.

This is a very hard franchise to root for...from the mindless ownership to the non-hustling players, it seems like this franchise does everything possible to try to alienate their fanbase. But like nmig says...might as well try to be somewhat optimistic. I won't lie though...I may be hoping for the best, but I'm expecting the worst too, and I know I'm in the vast majority on that one. It's the Mets' job to find some way to purge that feeling from the fanbase. WE didn't wake up magically feeling this way; THEY instilled that losing feeling in us.

Pinstripes is soooooo YANKEES!!! :puke:

Dude what are you talking about, the Mets have always had pinstripe jerseys. This is nothing new; its not like they suddenly stopped and copied the Yankees. They actually went away from the pure-white pinstripe jersey (which is the only thing that looked anything like the Yankee pinstripes) and went back to the cream colored/retro style. I like it.

Edited by nmigliore

Dude what are you talking about, the Mets have always had pinstripe jerseys. This is nothing new; its not like they suddenly stopped and copied the Yankees. They actually went away from the pure-white pinstripe jersey (which is the only thing that looked anything like the Yankee pinstripes) and went back to the cream colored/retro style. I like it.

Yeah, I don't associate the Mets' pinstripes with the Yankees at all.

nmig, what do you think about the Mets bringing back the mid-80s blue and orange stripes? Joe and Evan were talking about that.

I really like the home mid-80s with the stripes, the Gooden '86 one I have is just awesome, but I'm iffy on the road greys they used. Though I still think it beats the current road greys:

away.png

I dislike the "New York" lettering on the current roads while the lettering on the mid-80's one looks pretty sweet.

Edited by nmigliore

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2009/11/30/cora-close-to-deal-with-mets/

According to source familiar with the negotiations, former Red Sox infielder Alex Cora is close to a one-year deal with a vesting option for second with the New York Mets. The deal, which would guarantee the 34-year-old the same $2 million he made in ‘09 during at least the initial year of the contract, is expected to be finalized upon Cora passing a physical.

Eck.. I really like Cora as a player-coach, but I don't like this deal. Why must he get a vesting option for 2011? And why $2M? You can find utility infielders as good as Cora for league minimum.

Lets just hope we don't have to come back and complain about Cora getting $2M and how it could have been used better elsewhere, like we did last year with him and Redding.

Edited by nmigliore