Super Bowl!!

CRASHER

Agreed. It was a poor choice and an easy pick six. Interesting that Porter noted that he saw it coming and jumped the route. Wayne had a miserable game but come on ESPN. They are so pathetic. Think Montana doesn't tie that up? Steve Young? Peyton had a Tinman moment.

Super Bowl XLIV

Colts trailing the Saints 24-17 early in the fourth quarter. Then this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdedow0mqls

Super Bowl XXIII

49ers trailing the Bengals 13-6 early in the fourth quarter. Then this happens.

Yep. Put Montana in that situation and he'd NEVER make the same mistake. :puke:

Yeah you can't bring up an almost INT from Montana when the game was still in the third quarter and Montana had 11 TD's to 0 INT's in Super Bowls. If Billups gets that one it's 11-1, what's the difference really? The Niners probably still win that game or at least get to OT, it was obvious from that last drive the Bengals' prevent wasn't going to stop them, but there's no way to really tell how the game would have turned out if the INT's made.

I do think it's safe to say Montana, Brady, etc would never have wasted a timeout like Peyton did on that last drive and that's where the big game comparisons of Peyton are fair. To me that was a hundred times worse than the INT, that was a mental mistake that could have been costly if the Colts had actually you know, scored on that drive.

Edited by Hasan4978

Again, it's the difference in the LEGEND qb's of the game and Manning...

Montana has his signature drives (That John Taylor catch against the Bengals being the main one)

Elway's are notorious enough (though not in a Super Bowl, he did get them to two Super Bowls they had no business being in before he won two)

Even Brett Fraud in his prime had his defining moments before he stayed in the game too long....

Staubach had 'em

Bradshaw had them (and I'm still annoyed at them :rant: )

Where's Manning's???

Oh wait... ELI has one :blahblah:

Peyton's signature drive is right now Porter running back a pick-6

(this is also why I don't put Aikman on this list... he NEVER had THAT DRIVE, that one sequence you go back and go... damn he pulled it out and got it done)

My favorite quote:

"Losers whine about their best.... winners go out and fvck the prom queen"

I wonder which Prom Drew Brees is picking from this week :lol:

Not for nothing but comparing the two is ridiculous. One won 4 Super Bowls. That also was a little tougher int than the one last night.

Why is it ridiculous? Put in the same situation, down by about a touchdown early in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, both quarterbacks put the ball in the hands of a defender.

Not taking anything away from Montana here. Just trying to seperate the actual man from the mythological god he's turned into.

And Hasan, that 11 TDs, 0 INTs is including everything that Joe did after the pick-that-should-have-been, including that blowout against the Broncos where he threw 5 of those 11 TDs. That isn't fair considering that it's impossible to include all Manning will do from here on out. Here are Manning's career Super Bowl numbers compared to what Joe Montana's would have been immediately following that interception, had Billups held on:

Totals:

Manning (2 games) - 56-for-83, 580 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Montana (3 games) - 53-for-82, 758 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT

Averages (all numbers rounded):

Manning - 28-for-42, 290 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Montana - 18-for-27, 253 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

I know this is all hypothetical :blahblah: , but it really is amazing what a difference one play makes. We all know how the rest of Montana's career played out and the guy just kept getting better. It'll be interesting to see what Manning does from here.

I think everyone is forgetting that this IS a team game. Montana gets all the glory, but he played with a great defense the years he won, Fred Dean, Ronnie Lott, Matt Millen, etc.

Brady had it thoughout his career and the only reason the Packers won their Superbowls it was because of Reggie White.

Colts D just couldn't match up well with the Saints O. End of story.

I think everyone is forgetting that this IS a team game. Montana gets all the glory, but he played with a great defense the years he won, Fred Dean, Ronnie Lott, Matt Millen, etc.

Brady had it thoughout his career and the only reason the Packers won their Superbowls it was because of Reggie White.

Colts D just couldn't match up well with the Saints O. End of story.

+1

Too much emphasis is being put on what the QB's do or don't do. Not a single QB has won the game by himself. They don't play on D, they don't catch the ball and they sure don't protect themselves. But don't get me wrong there are definitely times that a QB can be a part of, and even lead, the team to pull out the one that they should've lost or help orchestrate THAT drive...

Play calling (the 3 runs and punt before the first half comes to mind as well as the run with 1 timeout and the clock winding down in the fourth is another) as well as a bad defensive matchup attributed to the Colts losing just as much as that pick 6 did...

Colts had over 300 yards in the air its not like the Saints D was lights out either. Manning doesnt throw the biggest pick of his career and there threatening to tie. I mean come on there on the Saints what 30 yard line, its not like he was backed up on his own 10 looking to go down field and just threw it up. The "greatest qb ever" giftwrapped an essentially game winning INT.

Furthermore coaching staffs can only do so much and the team was in the position to tie it up until that blunder. Eventually you gotta go out there lean on your big guns and say win this one for us. A great QB can HELP carry his team through those moments. The lesser ones.. well... watch a replay of the superbowl

But either way I'm pretty biased lol I just hate the guy

Edited by njdevils783

Can anyone please blame Reggie Wayne for his route...anyone? Bueller?

:lol:

you do watch too much ESPN sir :P

Why is it the WORLD wanted to proclaim him the BEST OF ALL TIME before the game, and now that he got exposed for it... it's everyone else's fault??

(why do my Manning and mb30 comments always sound the same?? it's why I compare the Devils and Colts in a lot of ways, people get mad at me for it... but it's damn true)

the best of all time doesn't telegraph the route.... ask the DB who made the play... he saw the route from the formation, read it and JUMPED it..... remember how Peyton gets all the praise because "his football mind is so great he goes to the line with 4 suggestions from the OC and picks the right one at the line"... how come THAT gets forgotten and the "OC and Caldwell got too conservative"???

Isn't Peyton the SAME GUY who said on 4th and short vs the Colts... GO AWAY KICKER we're going for it??

So... all the glory... none of the blame... it must be nice B )

:lol:

you do watch too much ESPN sir :P

Why is it the WORLD wanted to proclaim him the BEST OF ALL TIME before the game, and now that he got exposed for it... it's everyone else's fault??

(why do my Manning and mb30 comments always sound the same?? it's why I compare the Devils and Colts in a lot of ways, people get mad at me for it... but it's damn true)

the best of all time doesn't telegraph the route.... ask the DB who made the play... he saw the route from the formation, read it and JUMPED it..... remember how Peyton gets all the praise because "his football mind is so great he goes to the line with 4 suggestions from the OC and picks the right one at the line"... how come THAT gets forgotten and the "OC and Caldwell got too conservative"???

Isn't Peyton the SAME GUY who said on 4th and short vs the Colts... GO AWAY KICKER we're going for it??

So... all the glory... none of the blame... it must be nice B )

Watch too much E$PN? Heck no!

CMON...look at the way Wayne ran that route...pathetic....and ok Peyton's throw was not good and yes, is part to blame...I have a better question for the Colts fan: Addai is ripping off yards....how come all of the sudden they stopped going to him? THAT was a fail.

The Colts are a 7 win team without Manning. I don't really like him, but I do respect what he does mean to that team.

Edited by LOTCB

Come on dude. That was an awful read. Blaming Wayne is the "in thing" to do. Peyton never should've thrown it. He had the team in position to tie but made a poor choice. Can he ever receive criticism? Even worse, the whole drive down 14 was awful. So disorganized. Not what you'd come to expect from one of the greats.

Come on dude. That was an awful read. Blaming Wayne is the "in thing" to do. Peyton never should've thrown it. He had the team in position to tie but made a poor choice. Can he ever receive criticism? Even worse, the whole drive down 14 was awful. So disorganized. Not what you'd come to expect from one of the greats.

Peyton is taking plenty of heat....the in thing..what are you listening to?

I love those that say well, this loss really hurts Peyton's legacy...did the same people say that about Favre after he lost a Super Bowl as a 13 pt favorite?

Im done posting here....pushing buttons isn't my goal in life

CMON...look at the way Wayne ran that route...pathetic....and ok Peyton's throw was not good and yes, is part to blame...I have a better question for the Colts fan: Addai is ripping off yards....how come all of the sudden they stopped going to him? THAT was a fail.

The Colts are a 7 win team without Manning. I don't really like him, but I do respect what he does mean to that team.

No the colts are a two win team without manning, but riddle me this, how is mister 13 wins a season 9-9 in the playoffs then???

Its more observation then knock but when the pressure turns up manning cries in the corner, and THAT is why he is NEVER an all-time great, well until he gets past it....if he does...

Which is why I don't like him, thank you much!!

Jeez, I'd hate to see what some of you guys were saying about John Elway after he got his sh!t pushed in in his first three Super Bowls. Manning is 1-1 and the loss was very closely-contested, and he gets talked about like he's a fraud.

Elway took inferior teams and got them to a Super Bowl

Manning takes teams with equal or GREATER talent and under-achieves in the big spot year after year after year......

Elway took inferior teams and got them to a Super Bowl

Manning takes teams with equal or GREATER talent and under-achieves in the big spot year after year after year......

Oh yeah, I forgot about all those great defenses and running games Manning has been complimented with throughout his career. :rolleyes:

Elway lost Super Bowls with defenses that ranked in the top ten in the league in points- and yards-allowed twice. Manning won with a defense ranked in the bottom third of the league.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Oh yeah, I forgot about all those great defenses and running games Manning has been complimented with throughout his career. :rolleyes:

Elway lost Super Bowls with defenses that ranked in the top ten in the league in points- and yards-allowed twice. Manning won with a defense ranked in the bottom third of the league.

the quality of the "good team" back in the 80s and 90s was MUCH greater then the quality of the "good team" now... why?

No player movement... you got a good player he STAYED there... teams back then were more complete (hell you saw the same teams pretty much for most of a decade....it was all 49ers, Giants, Redskins, then Cowboys, with the Bears popping their head in there once)

84: 49ers, 85: Bears, 86: Giants, 87: Redskins, 88: 49ers, 89: 49ers, 90: Giants, 91: Redskins, 92: Dallas, 93: Dallas, 94: 49ers, 95: Dallas

12 years....5 teams, only one non-repeat winner.... and just about all those teams have mutliple hall of famers...compare that to the interchangeable talent now and the playoff turnover EVERY year

Elway's two teams that got destroyed.... KILLED... were WAY lesser to the hall of fame stacked 49ers and Giants teams they played against, even Marino's Dolphins were the same.... Manning's two teams were BETTER

and I said this last year when Dungy retired that with the talent they have there (2 Hall of Fame WR's, good backs in Adaai, James, game breakers like Freeney and Sanders)... the Colts should have won MORE already

it's not saying the guy's garbage... or that he's not a HOF player... he's just not in the conversation of "best of all time"... and the other guys are.... so???