Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

His team is 9 games out of first and it's May...the stakes for Reyes aren't exactly high in that regard.

But I'll be fair and say that he's at least doing very well in a walk year...that is pressure in itself. It could be that Reyes is simply enjoying a career year...his fielding has been highlight worthy, and he's hitting the way (especially from an average standpoint) I think all Met fans thought he would when he teased us all with that .300-on-the-nose season.

I can't/won't ignore the negatives though...the boneheadedness that still persists even now, the injuries, the September fizzles...I know he's been impressive and he's scalding hot right now, but I have a long memory...if someone's going to cough up huge money for him, I don't think the Mets should be the team to risk that.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Turner has really been an awesome surprise. Its too early to go too crazy, but his skillset reminds me of the Braves' Martin Prado; he won't walk much but hes great at making contact and has a little pop. He also has some solid versatility, being able to play 2B, 3B, and SS. Hopefully the Mets finally caught a break and found their solid, scrap heap-pickup position player.

Edited by nmigliore

What nmig is talking about is that different defensive positions come with different offensive expectations. For example, if a guy is really good at hitting but crummy with a mitt on his hand, then he must play first base (which I can say is not always easy in its own right) or DH in the AL. All poor defensive players end up at these positions, thus they must be great hitters to rise above their competition. CF, 2B, C and especially SS are positions where good defense is crucial. Since fewer players can play these spots, there are fewer good hitters. So Reyes' offense coming from a player that plays SS, and plays it pretty darn well, is higher value than identical offense coming from a LF or 1B.

Sorry for taking so long to say thanks but thank you very much for the info. Makes alot more sense now! So I suppose that means Reyes being third in BA in the NL is even doubly impressive being a shotstop. Was in the elevator today and saw that flash on the news screen they have in there. Not bad if that's still the case!

Yeah, Reyes has been incredible. Not only is his batting average among the best in the NL, but he leads the Majors in hits too. Coming from a SS who can pick it at his position AND be a threat on the bases makes him really special. Hes definitely going to slow down some, but the elite SS the Mets had from 2006-2008 appears to be back. If I could only keep one, I'm taking him over Wright (who is still very good, but clearly not elite anymore), but I really hate saying that. I want to keep both.

Edited by nmigliore

Right out of the Mets classic gag job script

Starter rolling along, Mets get early lead unable to tack on (though I can't blame the offense, they have nobody left at this point) Collins stays with Dickey way too long (he was FINISHED after he hit that batter) throws an 0-2 meatball that gets smacked up the middle for the game winning hit. Where was Izzy, Beato, or even K-Rod there with 2 outs in the 9th? stupid stupid stupid.

And Parnell needs to be sent down again, batters see that no movement fastball and just feast on it.

Felt for Dickey last night...it was like Pelfrey against the Yanks all over again...Terry sure seems to love wrecking potentially terrific games for his starting pitchers. But then I remember that Terry is what he is...a stopgap measure. So stuff like this will happen.

I can see why some will want to keep Reyes, especially right now (batting about 50 points over his career batting avg)...but with the money he's going to be asking for, and the fact that he's injury-prone and will start to lose his speed at some point (who can say for sure when?), I still think it's too risky. Wright I think is already on the downside...sad and surprising, given his age, but early declines do happen.

Reyes really isn't injury prone. Hes had one season in the last six where hes finished with less than 600 PA and ranks in the top-25 in PA from 2005 to 2011.

I'd try to keep him to only 5 guaranteed years for around $90M.

Edited by nmigliore

What a joke. 3 infield joke hits by the Pirates and the bases are loaded with nobody out.

Horrible luck for the Mets and Capuano, jeez.

Edit: WOW, another one, mostly due to Harris' inexperience at 3B.

Edited by nmigliore

That top of the 7th sums up the Mets luck 2006 game 7 until now. Another stomach punch loss.

I mean you will never see this happen to any team other than us.

What a joke. 3 infield joke hits by the Pirates and the bases are loaded with nobody out.

Horrible luck for the Mets and Capuano, jeez.

Edit: WOW, another one, mostly due to Harris' inexperience at 3B.

true...but his toe was still on the bag with the ball in his glove. He was out.

Edited by '7'

Harris really has brought nothing to the table; hes striking out even more than last year and showing no power, good for a .215/.305/.301 slash line entering tonight. Hes also been more of a liability in the field rather than an asset. There really isn't much use for him here.

I'm also not even sure why hes starting. Hes pretty inexperienced at 3B and uh, yeah, I already went over how terrible hes been at the plate. Why not start Murphy at 3B with Evans at 1B? Ugh.

Edited by nmigliore

Turner looks like a keeper, we might have a good "problem" down the line at 2nd when Ike and Wright get back. Both Murph and Turner have done a nice job of late.

Bay I can't stand to look at at this point. He's reached Alomar/Mo Vaughn levels of ineptitude. Maybe worse.

Edited by '7'

Yeah I gotta give Murphy some credit too - he looks like an average ML hitter, maybe even a little better, which could work at 2B as long as he can handle 2B fairly well.

Bay I can't stand to look at at this point. He's reached Alomar/Mo Vaughn levels of ineptitude. Maybe worse.

Or this guy.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah I gotta give Murphy some credit too - he looks like an average ML hitter, maybe even a little better, which could work at 2B as long as he can handle 2B fairly well.

Or this guy.

god he was terrible for the Mets...those almost look like Francoeur #'s for Foster.

Though I'd pretty much take George Foster circa 1985 over Bay right now.

Oh sweet jesus, I was gonna ask about the seventh inning cause I heard Howie and Wayne complaining how 'weird' it was on the radio driving home but the posts here described it well. Five infield hits is just :rofl:

And yea, I don't see how Willie Harris survives this. Hu was cut loose after disgracing himself during that ugly loss to Florida and this should be the last straw for Willie.

What did he do? He shouldn't be at third anyway, that's like when we put Jeremy Reed at first a couple years ago and he threw away a ball to end that stupid game in LA - or Murphy in the outfield :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know they're banged up again...but it happens every fvcking year with these freak injuries. The Mets are just flat out garbage again, and this season is going to rapidly disintegrate into 2009 once the Braves sweep us and but us 9 under .500

If there was a series that ever screamed 'man, both teams suck' it's this one :lol:

But yeah great comeback, capped off by an odd eighth inning. Funny thing is I didn't even turn on the radio until it was 6-0 :rolleyes: Then I only had it on sporadically until it was 7-3 in the middle innings, but after that I pretty much heard the rest of the game.

another typical gag job loss to the braves. Of course that ball goes under Reyes glove to open up the floodgates

we had 1 brief moment of clutch glory yesterday. And back to the usual disgusting collapses. Again to the braves, again nauseating

I mean how many times have we seen this in the past 15 years

years go by. Players change, stadiums change, managers change...but one thing always remains constant. The mets will choke against the braves, everything will go wrong. and today is another example

How do you explain what happened to Reyes with 2 outs in the 8th and the Mets up? Will you ever see this happen to a Brave against the Mets?

NEVER

Edited by '7'