Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Meh, oh well. It's difficult to get worked up over this season. These would be a lot, lot more frustrating if the team was actually in the playoff race.

They might be better off just losing. Get another high draft pick to continue the rebuild.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, oh well. It's difficult to get worked up over this season. These would be a lot, lot more frustrating if the team was actually in the playoff race.

They might be better off just losing. Get another high draft pick to continue the rebuild.

If they lost this game 9-1...fine anybody can stomach that. But this sh!t again to Atlanta?

How much longer can Harris stay around after that final at bat? Good lord that pitch was rolled to home plate and he swung at it. And why PH Harris for Tejada? I understand it's right/righty but Harris is not an MLB quality hitter and Tejada is at least hot right now. Basically you needed somebody to get on and pray for a Pridie 3 run hr. Tejada had the better chance to get on base. Not that it would've made a trmendous difference...but strange managing

and Jason Bay. My god is there anywhere we can dump this guy. Maybe trade him for another mistake contract that another team wants to jettison

Edited by '7'

Harris is just brutal. I at least figured he'd play solid defense and be useful pinch-hitter who has a little pop and isn't afraid to walk; hes been the polar opposite. Why the hell was he even in the game... how could Collins really justify pinch hitting him for Tejada? Silly. I mean how can anyone NOT have predicted him striking out? Anyway, yeah, I hope hes out soon. Duda is tearing up AAA and certainly belongs on this roster over Harris.

Edit: Also, in fairness to Izzy, hes had a pretty heavy workload as of late and walking Uggla isn't some cardinal sin, even with how bad hes struggled. Also, that wild pitch is more on Thole's poor defense than Izzy, and then obviously Jose's error was the killer.

Edited by nmigliore

Harris is just brutal. I at least figured he'd play solid defense and be useful pinch-hitter who has a little pop and isn't afraid to walk; hes been the polar opposite. Why the hell was he even in the game... how could Collins really justify pinch hitting him for Tejada? Silly. I mean how can anyone NOT have predicted him striking out? Anyway, yeah, I hope hes out soon. Duda is tearing up AAA and certainly belongs on this roster over Harris.

Edit: Also, in fairness to Izzy, hes had a pretty heavy workload as of late and walking Uggla isn't some cardinal sin, even with how bad hes struggled. Also, that wild pitch is more on Thole's poor defense than Izzy.

true...but thole did stop all of the curves that niese bounced today. His only passed ball was the costliest one though. Izzy did technically get out of it.

I thought Collins might go to Acosta today...seems like he usually pitches well for us against atlanta

and Jason Bay. My god is there anywhere we can dump this guy. Maybe trade him for another mistake contract that another team wants to jettison

If you're feeling lucky, John Lackey...in theory it could make a lot of sense for both teams since Bay did well there and Lackey might be rejuvanated by going to the NL and Citi. Problem is Lackey's extra year on his deal, doubt the Mets would want to take on all that money. Plus it's not like we're crawling with outfielders anyway - especially with Beltran having one foot out the door.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Nice win tonight for sure. Cannot picture the Mets without Reyes.

I think you're going to have to.

Evan from the WFAN had a good take on it...while he doesn't necessarily want to see Reyes off the team, he doesn't think he should kept at an absurd price...and Evan thinks some team will likely cough up a price the Mets probably shouldn't match.

I think nmig has a tendency to overrate him, to make him sound like this all-time great SS when I think he's a good-to-very good player who's capable of maddening brain farts. I also don't think he's the smartest ballplayer in the world. But the one thing I will say definitively is that he's not showing any signs of decline...he may not be a .335 hitter, but it looks like he has a reasonable chance to reach his 2006-08 level of performance over the next few seasons. If the Mets can sign him for 4 or 5 years at about $14-15 million I could deal with it, but I gotta think he's getting more than that somewhere else.

I'm not trying to make him into some Godly player, but he clearly is one of the best SS in baseball, regardless of what stats you want to look at. I've said that 5 guaranteed years, something north of $90M, is pretty much my tipping point. Maybe throw in a 6th year option based on PA, but I'm not taking him at a Crawford contract; 7 guaranteed years at over $20M per is way too rich for me, as much I love Jose.

Edited by nmigliore

I would've gone another batter with Acosta but whatever...I was actually laughing after the Diory Hernandez HR. Seemed like a "here we go again" moment but I was actually glad a. K-rod didn't walk him b. it was bases empty 1 out...i was almost certain he'd finish it then. And he did.

Nice series win against the hated Braves after a brutal game 1 loss.

Have to give Collins and the Mets credit for one thing...just when it seems like they're about to go on that big slide that will take them to 10 games under .500 before we can blink, they find a way to stay within striking distance of .500 and respectability. That's even more of a remarkable achievement considering all of the bodies that are out of the lineup.

Just like that, the Mets face the Brewers tomorrow (first in the WC standings), 5 games back in the WC. Do I expected the Mets to contend for the WC? Of course not. But at least there's a little juice going into this series, which is more than I could've expected for a team with a losing record and a slew of injuries to key players.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets take Brandon Nimmo 13th overall in the draft. Its a reach to me, but this isn't some chump, cheap pick. The Mets really believe in the bat and are drafting for high ceiling, and they know a hell of a lot more than me, so I'll give them that. I'm excited to see this front office willing to gamble on high upside. Very refreshing.

Keith Law says this on Nimmo:

Nimmo's high school in Cheyenne, Wyo., doesn't have a baseball team, so he spent the spring playing with his American Legion club after opening eyes all last summer on the showcase circuit.

He has strong hands and good hand-eye coordination, with a frame that looks built for some future power if he can get a little more rotational. He has the arm to play right field and has shown good speed in the past, although he's been bothered this spring by tendinitis in his right knee, which is the same knee he had ACL surgery on in 2009.

The biggest problem for scouts, however, is the fact that Nimmo won't see high-quality pitching this spring. His swing looks good, but evaluating his plate discipline or ability to catch up to better velocity will be tough.

Edited by nmigliore

2-run triple for Jose puts Mets ahead.

So no clutch. :lol:

One unbelievable month or so doesn't erase everything else. But the guy is clearly playing on another level right now, no question.

A .421 OB% for May and a .435 OB% for June...that's pretty friggin' incredible.

Braun and Fielder are just terrifying to face. I ust can't believe how this inning has unraveled. This would be another gut punch loss if we can't pull it out somehow.

I'm afraid Izzy is just getting overused at this point. He's been great for us this year.

Edited by '7'

God, I really screwed the pen for life telling my non-Met fan friend the first game of the Philly series that Izzy and K-Rod were the best back of the pen this year outside of the Yankees with Rivera. Ever since then it's been one unmitigated disaster after another :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978