Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Well when the owner says his own team stinks I don't think there's any spin that can be put on that one :P

The lack of offense was going to catch up with this team eventually but judging by the 11-1 score and three errors it sure looks like a Devils first-half type performance. I can't believe I have to go to Citi Friday with my friend, I couldn't have picked a worse game to drag her to if I'd tried. Our fans are gonna be ornery and there'll probably be a Phillie fan invasion to boot, but hey she's a Yankee fan anyway so c'est la vie.

If they're on WFAN tomorrow Joe and Evan's opening is going to be pure comic gold (they went to Chicago for the series) :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when the owner says his own team stinks I don't think there's any spin that can be put on that one :P

The lack of offense was going to catch up with this team eventually but judging by the 11-1 score and three errors it sure looks like a Devils first-half type performance. I can't believe I have to go to Citi Friday with my friend, I couldn't have picked a worse game to drag her to if I'd tried. Our fans are gonna be ornery and there'll probably be a Phillie fan invasion to boot, but hey she's a Yankee fan anyway so c'est la vie.

If they're on WFAN tomorrow Joe and Evan's opening is going to be pure comic gold (they went to Chicago for the series) :lol:

Can't say this one surprised me...the Mets aren't exactly known for toughness and/or dealing with adversity well. But who knows, Wilpon's comments and a god-awful game don't necessarily have to correlate...maybe last night was nothing more than a sh!tty game.

Deep down there's a part of me that always felt/hoped that as long as the Mets were able to find the right baseball people to run the show, evne the Wilpons couldn't find a way to fvck things up. I no longer believe that.

Wilpon's comments will not affect the team as much as people make it out to be, if at all. They were just really, really stupid comments. But yeah, I'm not blaming him for the team's poor play last night. The reality is they just aren't that great in general; a .500ish team, at best. Oh, and that's counting Davis and Wright, 2 key cogs who aren't on the roster right now. Just look at the lineup last night and it shouldn't surprise you that they played so awfully.

Edited by nmigliore

Ugh, Dickey goes down and leaves the game. Its hard to figure out what happened but he was definitely hurting going off the field. I'd guess an ankle or hamstring related injury...

Not good. DJ Carrasco is in line to start tonight for AAA-Buffalo, and hes already on the 40-man roster, so theres a decent chance he replaces Dickey. That would really, really suck.

He hurt his right heel.

Just my speculation, but its probably an Achilles' injury. Bleeeeh.

jeez and it looked so innocent too. I remember Dan Marino has an achilles injury back in 1993 or so when he was just backpeddling after throwing a pass and pop it went.

Gary Cohen did make a funny, half joking suggestion during the game though. How about Pedro Martinez...hasn't officially retired yet? He's pretty much doing nothing right now. Sitting under a coconut tree and strumming a guitar.

If it were last year sure but after a year plus off...not realistic. First off he'd likely have to take a couple months to get in shape by which time we'll be out of it anyway, plus I'm sure he'd want a pretty penny. He doesn't strike me as someone who'd come back for league minimum otherwise I think we'd have seen him last year.

Yeah he'd take awhile to get ready, and by the time he is, the team would be well out of it (if they aren't already). Who knows if he has anything left anyway; he pitched alright with the Phillies in 2009 but that was 2 years ago, and even then he would get gassed as the game went on. And hes too prideful to sign for chump change.

For sh!ts and giggles, it would be pretty cool though. His Met tenure was rather a disappointment, but I really enjoyed some of the games he threw for us in 2005 and early 2006, and he always had that personality that made you gravitate towards him. Its just too bad he didn't do a heck of a lot after that.

Edited by nmigliore

ugh...really don't like this idea of taking out capuano for a PH in the bottom of the 6th after only 77 pitches. Plus we have Paulino at 2nd...well struck single to the outfield and he probably doesn't score anyway.

It never ends against the Phillies. Same sh!t different day. They get all the calls, they get the clutch hits...they don't make stupid plays in the field (we do...always) and of course Beltran makes a bad throw home and of course Polanco gets a 30 hopper up the middle into no mans land that Tejada can't do anything with

Mets will get swept

Edited by '7'

It never ends against the Phillies. Same sh!t different day. They get all the calls, they get the clutch hits...they don't make stupid plays in the field (we do...always)

The Phillies weren't exactly crisp tonight though...that botched pop-up between Rollins and Utley (?) led to one run and the pickoff throw to nowhere behind second base helped us get another.

When you're up 3-2 with Izzy/K-Rod you take your chances, figures one of the few times they didn't come through was agaisnt the Phillies, Rollins did it to us again and Murphy - well I can't believe they didn't give him an error. Maybe it was a bad hop but at the very least you gotta sell out to try and keep that ball in the infield.

UGH. Another 8th inning meltdown. That 2 straight games where we had them on the ropes.

I'm pretty sure they had us the entire way. Phillies have the psychological edge and are the most clutch team in baseball.

You have to go with proven guys out of the pen there. Maybe even go to K-Rod for a 4 out save

Mike O'Connor is a journeyman nobody.

Edited by '7'

2-out hits, anyone?

The Mets established a new franchise-record with 13 two-out hits, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The club's previous record was 12 two-out hits, last accomplished on Aug. 2, 2007 in Milwaukee against the Brewers.
Edited by nmigliore