Groin Still Bothers Stevenson

Rock

GROIN STILL BOTHERS STEVENSON

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/6456.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

September 26, 2003 -- Confirming last week's Post report, Stanley Cup hero Turner Stevenson is almost certain to miss the Devils' Oct. 8 season opener with a mysterious groin injury that has become increasingly worrisome.

"They're trying to find out if it's coming from the testicles or groin," Stevenson told The Post yesterday, his 10th straight day off skates. "I've seen the doctors a few times, and I'm supposed to see them again [Tuesday].

"They've told me to stay home and rest and relax."

Stevenson came back from his groin injury to play in pain in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals, inspiring his teammates who had just lost two straight in Anaheim. He spent the summer resting and rehabilitating the injury and arrived at camp hopeful that he would remain healthy. It was not to be.

"I thought I was going fine, skating for three days. But on the fourth day, it was almost back to the way it was in the playoffs: excruciating pain," Stevenson said. "It's uncomfortable when I'm just sitting around. It'd be OK if I was a desk jockey, but I'm trying to be a professional athlete here.

"Nothing ever goes easy with me. I'll be OK, though, once they figure it out."

The Devils said last week that Stevenson had strained a muscle in compensation for strengthening his injured muscle, but it appears it could be more serious than that.

* Scott Stevens is no fan of this exhibition slate that features four games against the Flyers, including tonight's visit to Philly, followed by six regular-season meetings and a possible playoff matchup.

"I think we play them enough in the regular season. Six times is enough," Stevens said. "It's a lot of games against the same team. It'd be nice to see different teams in exhibition games, but I guess the busing distances determine that.

"I think we play too many exhibition games [nine] to start with."

Regarding Stevens' complaint about pre-season games against the Flyers, and it being determined by "busing distances" - this just in:

Other NHL teams actually FLY long distances to play a variety of teams!

did you really read what he said there Nieuwy?

Go back, re-read.

It wasnt the bus ride he was bitching about :P

"It's a lot of games against the same team. It'd be nice to see different teams in exhibition games, but I guess the busing distances determine that.

He was complaining about playing Philly so many times. That's the sentence I was referring to.

She loves those darned things and the dog keeps bringing them to her! I swear he's doing it on purpose!

Dogs and kids are great together, arent' they? :lol: