Playoff Matchup Possibilities

Derek21

You could have all the talent in the world but in the end it comes down to two things -- chemistry and the hunger to win those big games.

Agreed

RD... I think that's something everyone can agree on. If you have the heart, you win.

Jerry, let me give you a good example of a no-name D that's winning because they don't allow many shots. The Calgary Flames. Their best defenseman is 2nd year player Jordan Leopold. They have some grit on that D too.

Last year's example of this was the Minnesota Wild. They still could make the playoffs. San Jose this year could be another example of that.

It just takes commitment.

No name D? Derek, the guys on Calgary, most of them were highly regarded prospects before they reached the Flames.

Sure, Mironov and Malakhov were All-Stars, but DeVries and Kasparaitis are 3rd D men at best, Mironov and Malakhov 3rd or 4th, Leetch a #1 and Poti a #5. So there's no 6th D on the Rangers, but their talent is still not overwhelming. Plus, not one of those defenseman are great positional defensemen.

If you are judging simply based on "talent" the Rangers are up there. Nedved, a rather avg forward (he's scored his 20 goals for several years, and will probably do so again this year), is ultra talented, however like I said, he we all know he isn't that good. I think you can make an excellent case (based on talent) that both Frizen and Nedved are far superior to Langenbrunner, but I ask you, who is better?

I agree with you on the D Jerry, no true #6, but aside from Leetch no real high end guys either. Poti has regressed tremendously. On the plus side DeVries has been very good. The only gripe anyone can have with him is his $$$ (3-3.5 million per), but if he puts up 5-20-25 with a +25 he earned his pay.

I also think people are a little rough on Dunham. Early in the season he was amazing, lately he has been below average, i think the truth is still somewhere in the middle. He's not as good as he was early, but not as bad as he has been lately. A better than avg, but not elite goalie. Dunham has won games by himself, that is why I say he is better than average.

People...January is a big month for the Rangers, 17 games I believe including many with teams they will be battling for a playoff birth. Before putting them in, or making mid-April golf reservations we need to get through January.

I saw the January schedule for the NYR, bg. You're right. Lotsa games against good teams.

By the way, I caught a lot of the Ranger game last night, and Dunham bounced back. He made some outstanding saves. Rangers really took advantage of that late penalty, too, pulling the goalie and scoring 6-on-4. Killing off that major penalty was huge, too.