Maple Leafs acquire Berehowsky

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Maple Leafs acquire Berehowsky

TSN.ca Staff

2/11/2004

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs traded seldom-used defenceman Ric Jackman to the Pittsburgh Penguins Wednesday for former Leafs blueliner Drake Berehowsky.

Berehowsky, 32, has played in 47 games for the Penguins this season and recorded five goals and 16 assists with 50 penalty minutes. The Toronto native signed as a free agent with Pittsburgh on Aug. 26, 2003. Berehowsky was picked by Toronto in the first round, 10th overall in the 1990 entry draft then dealt to Pittsburgh on April 7, 1995 for defenceman Grant Jennings.

He's played in 540 career NHL games for the Leafs, Penguins, Edmonton Oilers, Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks and Phoenix Coyotes. His most productive season came in 1999-00, when he recorded 12 goals and 20 assists in 79 games with Nashville.

Jackman, 25, appeared in 29 games for the Leafs this season, recording two goals and four assists with 13 penalty minutes.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=71792&hubName=nhl

Okay, someone who knows something about Berehowsky, tell me - is he any better than Jackman? Or is this just a trade to get rid of Jackman, who was complaining about lack of ice time?

He's got more experience than Jackman. He's had playoff experience, and Quinn will feel comfortable using him. Plus I think he is willing to take PIMs which we know Pat appreciates.

Thanks, Sue. Is he good enough to be a #5 or 6 D-man regularly (IOW - replace Marchment :P )?

He's not as good as Marchment (although probably less dangerous to knees than Bryan).

He's a #6 at best, ideally a #7 on a team like the Leafs.

Well I guess we should all bown down now to Toronto, thats the missing piece they needed...cancel the season and book the parade for Yongue Street in Toronto, let the Stanley Cup celebration commence!! (SARCASM)

1967 MUST LIVE ON FOREVER!!

What a horrible horrible horrible trade, Quinn is pulling his damn antics again trading away youth instead of developing it. This is going to backfire right up his ass just Like Dempsey, Smith and Sullivan. I know you are all going to say Quinn isn't the GM anymore but I know he controles who he wants to keep in town.

Jackman is ten times the dmen Berehowsky is experience or no experince. When you try and cheer for a Canadian team to do well it is hard with this non winning ass in the organization.

Jackman has been minus a million this year and has been part of three franchises already.

He didn't screw up with Dempsey, Dempsey was never that good. Yannick Tremblay Part 2. And Sullivan's not much better either, though it would have been nice to get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

For the playoffs, you get veteran defensemen. Does Jackman have the experience of Berehowsky? No.

And Ferguson is calling the shots in Toronto.

Edited by Triumph

What a horrible horrible horrible trade, Quinn is pulling his damn antics again trading away youth instead of developing it. This is going to backfire right up his ass just Like Dempsey, Smith and Sullivan. I know you are all going to say Quinn isn't the GM anymore but I know he controles who he wants to keep in town.

Jackman is ten times the dmen Berehowsky is experience or no experince. When you try and cheer for a Canadian team to do well it is hard with this non winning ass in the organization.

Have you watched Jackman this year? He was playing regularly at the start of the year, and I can't tell you how many times he made bad decisions. He's got an offensive upside, but defensively, he makes bad decisions under pressure. And he's not exactly a kid - I remember when he came up with the Stars organization. He's had his problems off-ice and I was really hoping he'd do well, but I don't blame FERGUSON for trading him. He was whining about lack of ice time, and he wasn't going to get any more.

Yes I watch him, I see about 40 leafs games this season and Jackman is still oly young in terms of NHL play, you have to be patient towards him. Berehowsky is no improvment over Jackman no matter how bad Jaackman is.

Sullivan and Dempsey were good and were never given a chance, Quinn stuck with his Euro possy.

Right so that's why when Dempsey was a Rule VI Free Agent, he signed with Chicago. All the conteders were falling all over him, but the Windy City captured his eye. He's a decent defenseman, but I'd like to see him on a good team before I said anything more about him. Steve Sullivan, too.

Jackman is already 24 or 25 years old. He has had plenty of time to develop. He's been with three franchises and has not shown he can be a consistent NHL player. When that happens, you should move that player. Lou never moved Zyuzin and ended up having to waive him. Same thing woulda happened with Jackman.

It shouldn't have happened, Jackman should have been playing over Aki Berg and Belak.

Dempsey would be a good #4 or #5 in NJ right now and I would welcome him with open arms right about now.

How many times would you have to watch sullivan to realize the kid has talent. He is much like St Louis just not to his extent, mainly because of injuries.

It shouldn't have happened, Jackman should have been playing over Aki Berg and Belak.

I completely disagree with that, Jason. The Leafs defense has been better with Jackman on the bench. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on him. ;)