Video Game Thread

NJDevils1214

Get this, I have my thin ps2 on ebay along with 8 games (all games that I tried to bring to the local play and trade and they said they didnt want them for various reasons). The store wanted to give me 18 dollars for the console but the controller is missing the rubber piece on the right analog so they said no thanks. Put all of this in the description on ebay. Started it at 20 dollars. Its got 2 hours left and 2 people are having a bidding war on it. Its currently at $38 dollars.

Why would you want a ps2 let alone pay almost 40 dollars for it?

I also have NHL10 on there and its at 5 dollars. :rolleyes:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this, I have my thin ps2 on ebay along with 8 games (all games that I tried to bring to the local play and trade and they said they didnt want them for various reasons). The store wanted to give me 18 dollars for the console but the controller is missing the rubber piece on the right analog so they said no thanks. Put all of this in the description on ebay. Started it at 20 dollars. Its got 2 hours left and 2 people are having a bidding war on it. Its currently at $38 dollars.

Why would you want a ps2 let alone pay almost 40 dollars for it?

I also have NHL10 on there and its at 5 dollars. :rolleyes:

Well, because a slim PS2 with 8 games is a great deal for $40. The PS3's aren't backwards compatible and if you want to play your library of PS2 games, that's your only option. Also, Gamestop sells refurbished PS2's for $60, so $40 for a slim with 8 games is a great deal. As for why people still want to play PS2, the system has an amazing library of games. Last year I picked up a PS2 just so I could play though some of the classics I missed when I was out of gaming...Silent Hill, Devil May Cry, Shadow, etc, etc. So, long story short, you're offering a great deal!

Trading-in to Gamestop is always the worst option possible, really. You can purchase a brand new game and trade in for $30 max the following day and they'll put it back on the shelves for $50-$60.

Thats true. I traded in several PS3 games and Several PS2 games and was given the option of instore credit or money back but the money was going to be 40% less. So I got $36 instore. Ill just use it towards a new game anyway.

Have any of you seen the new game that is being called the COD of the sky? Its all fighter jets and machine gunners? It looks AWESOME!

*Ace Combat Assault Horizon is the game I was talking about above. It came out today actually.

Edited by Quinn01

i am still really into Gears of War 3... trying to finish Hoard on Insane is seriously impossible... gotta get mutators...

looking forward to Halo CE: Anniversary Edition... new maps + coop campaign= fun

i still have to play Mass Effect 2 before 3 comes out next year... if i get the time haha

i am still really into Gears of War 3... trying to finish Hoard on Insane is seriously impossible... gotta get mutators...

looking forward to Halo CE: Anniversary Edition... new maps + coop campaign= fun

i still have to play Mass Effect 2 before 3 comes out next year... if i get the time haha

Question on Mass Effect. Is it really important to play the first one to enjoy the second. Reason I ask is because you can get 2 on PS3 but not 1. As far as I know, Mass 1 was a 360 only game but they ended up porting the Mass 2 to PS3. Just curious as I like to play from the beginning when starting a new series!

Question on Mass Effect. Is it really important to play the first one to enjoy the second. Reason I ask is because you can get 2 on PS3 but not 1. As far as I know, Mass 1 was a 360 only game but they ended up porting the Mass 2 to PS3. Just curious as I like to play from the beginning when starting a new series!

i havent played 2 yet, but the story spans all 3 games... also, what you do in the first one can affect what happens in the 2nd one (people you kill/meet/whatever) but you need to have a 360 to get that whole feature... i think?

i really liked 1 and its worth playing even without the sequels, but i havent played 2 yet, so im not sure... and im not sure when ill get the time. if you can play it, do it

With regards to plot and character development, yes definitely. The first one plays a pretty big role in the second one.

However if it's unavailable on the PS3, I'd say go ahead and play 2 anyway, it's just a fantastic game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working towards the Combat Engineer mutator for infinite ammo. Its a royal pain in the ass.

Played through the campaign in Arcade on Hardcore and that was surprisingly fun. Started insane last weekend but haven't gotten back to it yet, been focusing on horde/beast before the DLC comes out November 1st.

Battlefeild 3 vs MW3. Thoughts?

I am leaning towards getting BF3 because I am bored of the MW games. I have had them all and they are starting to bore me. They are all the same.

Still debating NHL12 or BF3 now that its coming out tomorrow. I can only afford 1 game and idk which one I will play more. Probly NHL12.

Damn it why must life be so hard!

Just saw this thread.

I have an Xbox 360 and play it when I can...but prolonged gaming sessions are hard to come by. Being 41, working 50+ hours a week and being a father to a three-year-old cuts into my gaming time pretty significantly.

I'm guessing I'm probably the oldest one to post on this thread...though I was too young to remember "Pong" back in the early 70s, I've seen pretty much the entire evolution of video games (the home market almost never recovered from the Crash of '83...Nintendo and Super Mario Bros. brought it back). The complete list of video game systems I've owned at one point or another: Atari 2600, Atari 800 computer, ColecoVision, Nintendo, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance, and the Xbox 360.

The games today are obviously far more beautiful and striking than anything I played in my youth...I can only imagine the looks me and my friends would've had on our faces if someone had jumped into a time machine and showed us the games of today back in the early 80s. It is truly amazing how far the medium has come in a realtively short period of time.

What I really miss are the "simple to play, difficult to master" games that dominated my youth. So many of today's titles require some serious time put in to really get anywhere. The games of my youth revolved around a simple concept that you could get into in minutes, then skills and reflexes took over from there. It was truly the "pick up and play" generation.

And it seems like there are just way too many post-apocalyptic shooters out there. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them, but I watch the commercials and I think, "How does anyone tell these apart?" They all just look so derivative.

Anyway, more than any other style of game, I tend to drift toward arcade-style racers. I've tried racing sims, but just can't get into them...I want to have fun, not be a mechanic. Last 1st-person shooter I played through to the end was Bioshock...thought it was great.

I'm working towards the Combat Engineer mutator for infinite ammo. Its a royal pain in the ass.

Played through the campaign in Arcade on Hardcore and that was surprisingly fun. Started insane last weekend but haven't gotten back to it yet, been focusing on horde/beast before the DLC comes out November 1st.

yeah im working on combat engineer and my friend got ultra reload (or something), i have a while to go to get that one haha

ive played 3/4ths of the Campaign Arcade on hardcore, and the first 2 on insane with friends... gotta find more time to play. and get a new TV (Mine died) so ive been using my computer as a TV for now haha

cant wait for the DLC, should be some cool stuff

Just saw this thread.

I have an Xbox 360 and play it when I can...but prolonged gaming sessions are hard to come by. Being 41, working 50+ hours a week and being a father to a three-year-old cuts into my gaming time pretty significantly.

I'm guessing I'm probably the oldest one to post on this thread...though I was too young to remember "Pong" back in the early 70s, I've seen pretty much the entire evolution of video games (the home market almost never recovered from the Crash of '83...Nintendo and Super Mario Bros. brought it back). The complete list of video game systems I've owned at one point or another: Atari 2600, Atari 800 computer, ColecoVision, Nintendo, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance, and the Xbox 360.

The games today are obviously far more beautiful and striking than anything I played in my youth...I can only imagine the looks me and my friends would've had on our faces if someone had jumped into a time machine and showed us the games of today back in the early 80s. It is truly amazing how far the medium has come in a realtively short period of time.

What I really miss are the "simple to play, difficult to master" games that dominated my youth. So many of today's titles require some serious time put in to really get anywhere. The games of my youth revolved around a simple concept that you could get into in minutes, then skills and reflexes took over from there. It was truly the "pick up and play" generation.

And it seems like there are just way too many post-apocalyptic shooters out there. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them, but I watch the commercials and I think, "How does anyone tell these apart?" They all just look so derivative.

Anyway, more than any other style of game, I tend to drift toward arcade-style racers. I've tried racing sims, but just can't get into them...I want to have fun, not be a mechanic. Last 1st-person shooter I played through to the end was Bioshock...thought it was great.

Fine post, CR. If you're the oldest poster on this thread, then I'm probably the runner up. My gaming history started with the NES back in '86 and I was a Nintendo fan through and through, all the way through the Bit Wars. My brother had a PS2 and I now have a PS3 but up until then, I was all Nintendo. As for "easy to learn, hard to master", I would recommend the downloadable title Limbo. Creepy, atmospheric and exactly fits the type of gameplay you were talking about. Here's a quick trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vexQzA9Vk

And agreed on Bioshock. Too many WTF moments in that game that are just jaw dropping! If you enjoyed Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite is coming out soon and could be a Game of the Year contender. Here's a 10 minute demo:

Would be nice to get an old school gaming conversation going in here along with the new games coming out! What were some of your classic from the 8 bit era?

Battlefeild 3 vs MW3. Thoughts?

I am leaning towards getting BF3 because I am bored of the MW games. I have had them all and they are starting to bore me. They are all the same.

Still debating NHL12 or BF3 now that its coming out tomorrow. I can only afford 1 game and idk which one I will play more. Probly NHL12.

Damn it why must life be so hard!

I'm probably picking up BF3 for 360 today, I bought NHL 12 for PS3 back in September right before I bought Gears. [Had a lot of old stuff I was able to get rid of for decent returns]

yeah im working on combat engineer and my friend got ultra reload (or something), i have a while to go to get that one haha

ive played 3/4ths of the Campaign Arcade on hardcore, and the first 2 on insane with friends... gotta find more time to play. and get a new TV (Mine died) so ive been using my computer as a TV for now haha

cant wait for the DLC, should be some cool stuff

I finished it on Insane last night. In all honesty, play Myrah by yourself on Insane and do the 4 person co-op on an easier, more fun setting [like casual or normal]. When I tried for 2-3 hours on Sunday night to get past the final battle with 3 other people, it was impossible. But when you run solo, the AI teammates are damn good at keeping Locust and Lambent off you while you take out Myrah. It took only about 45 minutes solo. After that, to beat her on normal or casual takes about 8-10 minutes if you use the super-reload.

I'm really psyhced about the Raam's Shadow expansion coming out 12/13. 3+ hours of extra game play.

The new achievements for the Horde Commando pack hit my account last night so I went from being 90% done to 83%

I'll probably get BF3 for the PS3 since my brother-in-law has been dying for me to get it. But I don't think there will be any doubt that I will prefer MW3 by a significant margin. I just never liked BF's gameplay 'feel' all that much. The problem with COD though is they get dry pretty quickly; once you prestige a couple times you find yourself counting the days to the next game release.

Would be nice to get an old school gaming conversation going in here along with the new games coming out! What were some of your classic from the 8 bit era?

Top Gun for NES. I sh-t you not, I had the game since I was what, 4 years old, and it literally took me until last summer, while playing on a freaking emulator on my laptop, to figure out that while landing you can speed up and slow down using B or A.

20+ freaking years later.

I also absolutely loved Super Mario World for SNES.

I ended up buying BF3 today for PS3... I've actually been pleasantly surprised by it (in a good way). The choppy/awkward frame rate still bothers me, but the more you play it, the less you notice it as much. Some of the maps are absolutely huge too and the game does seem to have a lot of realism to it.

Edited by nmigliore

I ended up buying BF3 today for PS3... I've actually been pleasantly surprised by it (in a good way). The choppy/awkward frame rate still bothers me, but the more you play it, the less you notice it as much. Some of the maps are absolutely huge too and the game does seem to have a lot of realism to it.

The massive size of ii [That's what she said] can be outrageous, especially when your squad is all dead and you go to the initial spawn point and have to run for 3 minutes to get to the battle.

Overall I love the realism feel of it. I like how you do not immediately start to regenerate health until you're in cover and are not under fire.

I hate how I absolutely SUCK at it right now. I've been so used to gears over the past month that I'm still getting used to the controls and whatnot.

I'm off from work today, am stuck in my TV room due to some remodeling being done and after I make some phone calls following up on a few applications as well as some other things, I'm firing up the campaign.

Top Gun for NES. I sh-t you not, I had the game since I was what, 4 years old, and it literally took me until last summer, while playing on a freaking emulator on my laptop, to figure out that while landing you can speed up and slow down using B or A.

20+ freaking years later.

I also absolutely loved Super Mario World for SNES.

Top Gun for the NES is indeed maddening, especially given how weird it is to land the bloody plane! I think the trick is to watch the numbers and make sure you keep the actual speed and altitude in line with the readout. Or something like that. And yes, I'll reference AVGN one more time. Obviously NSFW:

I still remember the first time I played Super Mario World. It was Christmas of some year and after all my presents were opened and scattered about, my parents dropped the big one on me. The Super Nintendo with two controllers and a copy of Super Mario World. Naturally, I freaked out, ran downstairs and begged my dad to hook it up. No breakfast, no stocking stuffers, no nothing. Once my dad had it all connected up, I popped in SMW, turned on the machine and was immediately taken by the brilliance of it all. I distinctly remember it feeling hyper real, like there was no way games would ever be able to surpass this level of quality. The game, quite literally, blew my mind. One of those Christmas's where your parents are screaming at you to get ready to go to Grandma's for dinner and you're still in your PJ's, clacking away at the controller. An enduring memory of childhood!

I distinctly remember it feeling hyper real, like there was no way games would ever be able to surpass this level of quality. The game, quite literally, blew my mind. One of those Christmas's where your parents are screaming at you to get ready to go to Grandma's for dinner and you're still in your PJ's, clacking away at the controller. An enduring memory of childhood!

I miss those kind of games and just being a kid in general haha. I am loving Battlefield 3, it is pretty much everything I hoped for and 1000000x better than the beta was just like I said it would be. The only downside is there is still an issue of joining games with friends and having someone end up on the other team which actually really pisses me off XD. Hopefully its worked out or whatever, everything else is immaculate. I also love how the co-op stuff goes towards Multiplayer rewards.

I miss those kind of games and just being a kid in general haha. I am loving Battlefield 3, it is pretty much everything I hoped for and 1000000x better than the beta was just like I said it would be. The only downside is there is still an issue of joining games with friends and having someone end up on the other team which actually really pisses me off XD. Hopefully its worked out or whatever, everything else is immaculate. I also love how the co-op stuff goes towards Multiplayer rewards.

I was having a tough time deciding between which game to get, NHL or BF, but I just read this and Im giong to go with BF. I am going to trade in my MW2 and UFC10 so hopefully thatll put me even closer to not having to spend much on a game. I have 35 credit from trading other stuff in a few weeks ago and held off to buy anything with it. I cant wait to bring this home and play it. I havent had a new game in atleast a year if not more. MW2 I think was the last game I purchased.

Fine post, CR. If you're the oldest poster on this thread, then I'm probably the runner up. My gaming history started with the NES back in '86 and I was a Nintendo fan through and through, all the way through the Bit Wars. My brother had a PS2 and I now have a PS3 but up until then, I was all Nintendo. As for "easy to learn, hard to master", I would recommend the downloadable title Limbo. Creepy, atmospheric and exactly fits the type of gameplay you were talking about. Here's a quick trailer:

Hey dude...sorry it took a little long to get back to you. Played through about 2/3rds of Limbo...fun platforming...puzzles can get a little hairy. Not sure why I never finished it. I just downloaded Daytona USA for my 360...one of my all-time faves...I had it for the Saturn, PC, and Dreamcast...I still play the DC version from time to time.

Since I actually pre-date the 8-bit era, my first arcade favorite was Space Invaders...and I still play it on my Xbox (the original one), on Taito Legends. Brings back memories. I had Space Invaders on my Atari 2600, and I liked it, but the gap between arcade games and home conversions was soooooooooo wide back then. ColecoVision (1983) was the first system to really have games that came anywhere near the arcade experience, but the gap was still pretty vast. What is funny is that there's nerds out there who still do homebrew development for the old Atari systems, ColecoVision, etc., and come up with results that would surprise you...their conversions of arcade classics are often much to closer to the originals than the ports that were available at the time.

Don't know if you realize how close video games were to dying out in 1983. At the time, there were far too many companies trying to get in on the video game craze...and that led to a lot of sh!tty product making its way to shelves...and home computers were being seen as viable video game machines for the first time (Atari 400/800 and Commodore 64 could equal or surpass what the dedicated video game consoles could do, but were also more versatile in that they could be programmed and used for other tasks). It led to a saturated market and a big-time crash. 1984 and 85 were dead, as far as home gaming was concerned, and arcades were starting to struggle...everything thought the whole thing had run its course. Nintendo and Super Mario Bros really saved the market, big time.

For me, in the 8-bit days, I dug Lifeforce (a pretty good shooter), Blades of Steel and Mike Tyson's Punch Out, among others. I played the crap out of my Genesis when I had that...lots of great games for that system...the first NHL hockey was like "Holy Crap, this is friggin' amazing!" I still have that one somewhere. I started a thread some time back that listed the games that blew my mind at the time they were released...not sure if it can be dug up.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not overly thrilled with BF3 so far. Played about an hour or so worth of campain and now I am sitting online waiting for people to come to play. Kicking myself, should have just gone with NHL knowing it was a good and fun game.

Edited by Quinn01