Shero and Bylsma apparently fired

SterioDesign

Nobody works harder than Pierre. He never takes a day off and gives us more input on what's going on than anyone else. Sure. He's annoying. But find me a better sideline reporter in any sport. He's universally hated because it's the in thing to do.

I disagree. He is universally hated because he is annoying and shows off useless facts that add nothing to the broadcast. He's also a little creepy.

You are right that no one works harder than him. He is by far the most connected man in hockey, and GMs and coaches bounce ideas off of him all the time, but it doesn't mean he'd make a great GM.  It depends how much he has grown since he first got into the league and thought he was the smartest man in the world.

He still probably does.

Quick story. After he didn't get the Wild GM job, he was asked in an interview what his plan was for the Wild. He answered that he told the owners that he wanted to target Martin Havlat and name John MacLean the next head coach. Well someone listened about the Havlat idea...

Edited by devilsrule33

Nobody works harder than Pierre. He never takes a day off and gives us more input on what's going on than anyone else. Sure. He's annoying. But find me a better sideline reporter in any sport. He's universally hated because it's the in thing to do.

No, Pierre's know-it-allism turns him from a good but agitating presence in broadcasts to a net negative.  I understand why he is trying to do by pointing out where all these guys come from - he's trying to point out that a hockey player doesn't just appear in the NHL, he spends time elsewhere, and that 'elsewhere' also has a proud hockey tradition and is usually far away from any place that Americans have ever heard of, and he's trying to let people know about that.  The problem is that he does it in the context of analyzing a play that just happened on the ice, often, and his hosannahs for minor coaches or what-have-you detract from the analysis.  Pierre's recall is out of this world, and his love of the game is really something. but he's got to put a sock in it sometimes.

Edited by Triumph

No, Pierre's know-it-allism turns him from a good but agitating presence in broadcasts to a net negative.  I understand why he is trying to do by pointing out where all these guys come from - he's trying to point out that a hockey player doesn't just appear in the NHL, he spends time elsewhere, and that 'elsewhere' also has a proud hockey tradition and is usually far away from any place that Americans have ever heard of, and he's trying to let people know about that.  The problem is that he does it in the context of analyzing a play that just happened on the ice, often, and his hosannahs for minor coaches or what-have-you detract from the analysis.  Pierre's recall is out of this world, and his love of the game is really something. but he's got to put a sock in it sometimes.

I get the context of what you and dr are saying. NBC lets him do what he wants. At times, he goes overboard. His in game analysis and insight are excellent. He loves the game and that's great. I appreciate his enthusiasm. I doubt he's going anywhere. Pierre hasn't worked upstairs in two decades. lol dr on the creepy reference. Especially his love for AV.

I'm not sure what the Pens should do. They fired a good GM. Shero made some good moves. The Neal/Niskanen trade for Goligoski. The Kunitz move which put them over the top. I liked the Morrow trade too even though it didn't work. Iginla was a gamble that didn't get the desired result. Similar to Slat's roll of the dice on MSL. There also was the signing of Scuderi which wasn't for the best due to age and contract. The Fleury contract obviously even though he's good regular season goalie. Just fragile. The trade of Staal for Sutter has been positive. Also brought in Jokinen, who'll probably leave. A good addition for someone who has around $4 million to spend. Dupuis injury hurt. Contract not the best.

A weakness the Rangers exposed was the lack of scoring depth. Bylsma basically loaded up with Crosby/Malkin/Kunitz. The Pens had good centers in terms of faceoffs. Sutter and Goc cleaned up. But you can't have Gibbons playing on the 2nd line. Bennett will be a player. I didn't get why Bylsma scratched him for Glass in Game 7. It was a relief. Pittsburgh must improve their forward depth and overturn their blueline. Maatta is a stud. Martin is only signed thru next year. They have Letang taking up too much space. A gifted player but potential trade candidate if you find a taker. Orpik will leave.

Pierre in his Hartford days was a bad version of Keenan.  Maybe he's grown up a little since then but I really don't get the fascination with making him a GM.  If  he was hired as head of a scouting department that'd probably be fine, especially with his connections in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...