Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

So I'm not sure if this was already posted but apparently the location of the new restaurant next to championship plaza across from the box office on Edison will be 2 restaurants.. I passed by it today and saw that to the left will be "Loft 47" and to the right will be "Edison Ale House".. Not sure what the deal is but it definitely looks like it will be 2 different places..

I saw inside the Edison Ale House and it looks like it's coming along nicely inside

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Loft47's website, a work in progress obviously. Good luck wearing your jersey in the place though.

I think you will find most places start with this (aka Hells Kitchen, Arena Lounge) and quickly drop that policy once they realize how much game day business they are loosing. Are you really going to deny a family of 4 who's child is wearing a Devils jersey?

I think you will find most places start with this (aka Hells Kitchen, Arena Lounge) and quickly drop that policy once they realize how much game day business they are loosing. Are you really going to deny a family of 4 who's child is wearing a Devils jersey?

It's a wine bar; this isn't some ordinary restaurant. It's more upscale and more than likely will cater to the "non-fanatic" types.

It's a wine bar; this isn't some ordinary restaurant. It's more upscale and more than likely will cater to the "non-fanatic" types.

I just checked the website and maybe I missed it, but where does it say you will not be admitted if you are wearing a Devils jersey?

I just checked the website and maybe I missed it, but where does it say you will not be admitted if you are wearing a Devils jersey?

No, I'm just saying "good luck" wearing one, since it's a wine bar, I honestly don't believe they will allow people in with them especially when there are two bars on the same block. Maybe I'm wrong and they won't care.

No, I'm just saying "good luck" wearing one, since it's a wine bar, I honestly don't believe they will allow people in with them especially when there are two bars on the same block. Maybe I'm wrong and they won't care.

If they wanted to open something fancy, they should have opened it in NYC or Hoboken then. This is still Newark and if they give me attitude if I wear my jersey in there, then I am going next door.

If they wanted to open something fancy, they should have opened it in NYC or Hoboken then. This is still Newark and if they give me attitude if I wear my jersey in there, then I am going next door.

Just because it's "Newark" that means it shouldn't have anything "fancy"? Heard of gentrification? Besides there are others like it in the city, including downtown: http://www.martini494bistro.com/

Edited by Marv4Life

Just because it's "Newark" that means it shouldn't have anything "fancy"? Heard of gentrification? Besides there are others like it in the city, including downtown: http://www.martini494bistro.com/

Just a few flowers in a garden full of weeds. How far is this next door to the bodega and the conway around the corner?

Yes I have heard of gentrification but I highly doubt it will reach the levels like Hoboken or DUMBO.

Edited by DevsMan84

A fancy store cant open in Newark?

Typical clueless suburbanite statement. It's within the CBD across from the Rutgers business school, light rail, museum, Bears Stadium and office buildings. Map's right there. The nearest bodega is well north of 280 in a different section, and Conway's further down south on Market. BTW there are bodgeas in Hoboken and that part of Brooklyn too.

Edited by Marv4Life

Typical clueless suburbanite statement. It's within the CBD across from the Rutgers business school, light rail, museum, Bears Stadium and office buildings. Map's right there. The nearest bodega is well north of 280 in a different section, and Conway's further down south on Market. BTW there are bodgeas in Hoboken and that part of Brooklyn too.

There was crime in the CBD as long as Rutgers Newark Campus and office buildings have been there, so those have done nothing. As well as the Newark Bears (who were last year on the verge of folding before moving from the more lucrative Atlantic League to the much smaller Cam-Am League) and a museum that no one really cares about. The conway and the bodegas were literally right around the corner from the Devils arena as well as a lot of these new restaurants that are being opened.

When I am going to a Devils game, and I am not going to walk up to the Rutgers area for a meal when I have just as many options near the arena.

I walked through DUMBO just about a month ago and the only bodegas I saw was when I left the DUMBO area.

Also for gentrification to truely take place, you need the local residents to change too. DUMBO changed because hipsters moved in. For this you also need more upscale residents and apartments to be built as well. Hotels do not count as that is only temporary and I do not see this being built in downtown Newark. You can open a Saks Fifth Avenue store and a Bently dealership right around the corner from the area but the fact of the matter is, in all directions for many blocks there still going to be the same people living there.

Typical inner-city resident who thinks a couple of stores and restaurants will change an entire city center.

DevsMan, what is your point? An upscale spot opened in Newark. I dont see what youre trying to say at all. You might not get in with your Devils sweater. Full stop. Dont know how this has to do with DUMBO or Hoboken...

There was crime in the CBD as long as Rutgers Newark Campus and office buildings have been there, so those have done nothing.

Don't know what crime has to do with it but I'll play. There's been crime in DUMBO and Hoboken(not just west on Washington St.)and still is.

a museum that no one really cares about

Yep. One of the most attended in the state and well-known for its world-renowned Tibetan galleries. Obviously no one cares about it.

and I do not see this being built in downtown Newark.

See what? Upscale apartments(Eleven80, Clinton Lofts, etc.)?

Typical inner-city resident who thinks a couple of stores and restaurants will change an entire city center.

Uh. You need these type of stores and restaurants to price out the low-class leftovers already there so a new breed can come in and can add demand for housing. It's slowly but surely about to happen on Market Street. The bars and shops in DUMBO and Hoboken were there before the yuppie invasion. They also have something that Newark doesn't: Manhattan in their backyard. This isn't about being an inner city resident; it's common sense.

Edited by Marv4Life

DevsMan, what is your point? An upscale spot opened in Newark. I dont see what youre trying to say at all. You might not get in with your Devils sweater. Full stop. Dont know how this has to do with DUMBO or Hoboken...

That this area doesn't need a wine bar and I was replying to Marv4Life's comment about gentrification. Will not happen in Newark by just opening wine bars and other shops and restaurants. It's the crime.

That this area doesn't need a wine bar and I was replying to Marv4Life's comment about gentrification. Will not happen in Newark by just opening wine bars and other shops and restaurants. It's the crime.

How do you know there won't be a demand or a wine bar?

Where did Marv say gentrification will take place by just opening up a wine bar?

Don't know what crime has to do with it but I'll play. There's been crime in DUMBO and Hoboken(not just west on Washington St.)and still is.

Yep. One of the most attended in the state and well-known for its world-renowned Tibetan galleries. Obviously no one cares about it.

See what? Upscale apartments(Eleven80, Clinton Lofts, etc.)?

Uh. You need these type of stores and restaurants to price out the low-class leftovers already there so a new breed can come in and can add demand for housing. It's slowly but surely about to happen on Market Street. The bars and shops in DUMBO and Hoboken were there before the yuppie invasion. They also have something that Newark doesn't: Manhattan in their backyard. This isn't about being an inner city resident; it's common sense.

Umm not sure where you got that from but the hipsters moved in there before the stores opened and that brought in restaurants and businesses catering to them.

Those are just a couple of decent looking apartments, but no where near what Hoboken and other gentrified locations have.

A Tibetan museum can have 500 visitors a year and I can bet it will still be amongst the move visited Tibetan museums in the world. Very Niche. Also not huge accomplishment since NJ doesn't really have many world-class art galleries. NJ has some nice ones, but considering any of them to be world-class is stretching it.

Fact of the matter is crime really determines where you want to live as well as schools, quality of life, etc. Do you really think people who are already scared of the Newark Abbot District school system, high crime rate are willing to move in cause a few wine bars and art galleries?

First improve the infrastructure, tackle crime, and then the people will come, and then the shops and restaurants follow. Newark is doing it ass-backwards.

With the exception of the Broad/Market corridor(which can be fixed believe it or not, there's a 24/7 police unit there)the bulk of the crime isn't located downtown. As far as Abbot schools, that's what private schools are for, but families aren't the ones who start up the gentrification process nor are the bulk of it.

With things like a Marriott and Indigo-branded hotels, wine bars and other upscale/middle class establishments you can price out the lower-class places which lure in the ghetto element that can generate crime like 99 cent stores, hair/nail salons, counterfeit clothing stores, fried chicken joints, pawn shops, etc. The ghetto types won't screw around in areas where they will be reported and constantly watched; why do you think Ferry Street(which just got new market-rate housing built, wonder why, has nothing to do with the restaurants there right?)is almost completely free from their crap?

What's the point of an abundance of new housing if there's nothing decent for these new residents to eat out, drink or shop within walking distance? Eleven80 had this problem but with Better Bites next door, Port 44 nearby and the opening of Dinosaur BBQ the problem's being addressed.

Edited by Marv4Life

wow, that just jumped the shark...listen I have talked with the owner of Loft and right now her place is in a less than desirable spot (if I remember correctly is was central ave). She wants something a bit more upscale and trending but no one is going to turn away arena traffic. Ultimately all four restaurant owners want the same thing, a dynamic block that becomes a destination spot...I don't think you are going to call a block Hoboken which is just an entirely different animal. The spot will be alright but I think I am still holding out for Dino BBQ.

With the exception of the Broad/Market corridor(which can be fixed believe it or not, there's a 24/7 police unit there)the bulk of the crime isn't located downtown. As far as Abbot schools, that's what private schools are for, but families aren't the ones who start up the gentrification process nor are the bulk of it.

With things like a Marriott and Indigo-branded hotels, wine bars and other upscale/middle class establishments you can price out the lower-class places which lure in the ghetto element that can generate crime like 99 cent stores, hair/nail salons, counterfeit clothing stores, fried chicken joints, pawn shops, etc. The ghetto types won't screw around in areas where they will be reported and constantly watched; why do you think Ferry Street(which just got new market-rate housing built, wonder why, has nothing to do with the restaurants there right?)is almost completely free from their crap?

What's the point of an abundance of new housing if there's nothing decent for these new residents to eat out, drink or shop within walking distance? Eleven80 had this problem but with Better Bites next door, Port 44 nearby and the opening of Dinosaur BBQ the problem's being addressed.

Actually to this point it is quit interesting. There is a sort of vacume between he colleges and the Ironbond that is slowly getting a bit of an infill. It may take 10-20 years to get to there but it's interesting to watch parts year over year come into place.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this got missed, but I think it's significant:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/_Prudential_No_3_in_continental_US_for_earnings_publication_says.html

Prudential No. 3 in continental U.S. for earnings, publication says

Saturday, June 25, 2011 Last updated: Saturday June 25, 2011, 4:56 PM

BY JOHN BRENNAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

The Prudential Center in Newark has climbed to No. 3 in the continental U.S. and to No. 8 in the world in gross earnings for concerts and family shows for the most recent six-month period, according to a leading industry publication that will announce these results next week.

Only New York’s Madison Square Garden and the Staples Center in Los Angeles — the East and West Coast’s iconic venues — ranked ahead of the four-year-old Prudential Center among continental U.S. arenas, according to an advance copy of the Venues Today obtained by The Record. The rankings are based on earnings during the period from mid-October until mid-May, and don’t include sports tenants, such as Devils, Nets and Seton Hall University. But such events as mixed martial arts and the NCAA East Regional men’s basketball semifinals and final in March are included.

The Izod Center was not among the 20 top arenas on the list.

Better Bites? LOL I was just there today for lunch from 12:10 to 1:15 and there only 3 of us there. They even pulled out chairs and tables to create a CAFE style atmosphere and still little to no bites.

Bars will not gentrify an area do you think the middle class are just a bunch of drunks?? First you need low cost areas for the artists, just out of college and hipsters to be able to move in, crime goes down. Then other amenities will open up like grocery stores, coffee shops, book stores . When Hoboken was turning around "LOFTS" were dirty, grimey CHEAP places for artists to move in which was the trigger for gentrification. In Newark the rent is sky high and is much cheaper out in the burbs hence the cost opportunities are not there for gentrification to occur the same way the waterfront in Jersey city or the Hoboken occurred. Today "LOFTS" mean a 200k condo with 300-500 dollar monthly community fee or rent (1180) for 1500 for a Studio.

With the out of control crime:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/third_person_is_dead_following.html

9765918-large.jpg

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/newark_men_arrested_in_stabbin.html

Things won't change for a long LONG time, even under Booker its the same old game: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/after_5_years_12m_spent_newark.html .. actually its worse. I've never heard of a teenager making 8,000 for a report on Newark parks... so much for change.