Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abreu is 6 for his last 49...I couldn't agree more, he had a nice run early on, but it's over. 

I know Tejada's done a good job getting on base (helped by 11 intentional walks), but I hope we start seeing guys like Reynolds get a look at SS very soon.  Good for Tejada that he played just well enough to hang on to the job (helped greatly by AAAA-player-in-the-making Wilmer Flores not really forcing the issue), but the guy has a slugging% of .285.  Maybe you can squeak by with the Tejada that actually hit in the .280s in 2011 and 2012 and had an OB+SLG approaching .700, but the 2013-14 Tejada is an impossible sell, especially in a lineup where the Mets' only relatively consistent hitter is Daniel Murphy. 

Just waiting for the inevitable giants bs infield single...followed by mets infield idiocy where they kick the ball around which leads to a run.

Everybody knew Peavy would dominate us tonight. But a perfect game?

Hell of a job to explode for four runs.

And Amateur Terry doing his best to fvck it up.  How many unnecessary runs have Mets starting pitchers allowed because this idiot still hasn't figured out when to take them out?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Familia...damn.  Bullpen has really made some serious strides. 

Maybe a real manager with a real coaching staff will teach these pitchers how to throw the ball to second base.  Jesus H Christ.

At Citi tonight. Pretty great atmosphere with the double no-nos going, glad we pulled it out... deGrom is deBomb!

Keith brought up the atmosphere a lot last night and how happy he was to see the enthusiasm...made it a point to say how much he's starting to like this team, and how Met fans should embrace it too (by coming to the ballpark).  And I have to admit, I like this 80s-style of baseball much more than steroid-induced slugfests.  So much better when pitchers aren't nibbling and are willing to challenge hitters.  The pitching has been pretty fun to watch for sure (watching shell-of-himself David Wright and many of the Met hitters, not so much).   

Sounds crazy to fix what doesn't seem to be broken, but Familia has been more dominant than Mejia, especially from a hits-allowed standpoint.  I wonder if there's any thought to giving Familia a shot to close next season.  

deGrom's numbers since 6/21:

8 starts, 53.1 IP, 41 H, 9 ER, 0 HR, 14 BB, 56 K, 1.52 ERA, 6-1 record.  Damn.  Getting really hard not to get excited about 2015.  Just hope Passive doesn't louse it up.

Brandon Nimmo went 0-for-3 last night, but had an 8-game hitting streak where he went 12-for-32.  His numbers have been steadily improving at AA since a slow start.  Plawecki is 5-for-18 since coming back from vertigo. 

Argh, Fat fvck with a terrible outing, Mets' bats non-existent...kinda sucks that the Mets follow up a charged game like last night with a dud like this.

4th time in his last seven starts that Colon has given up 4+ ER...26 ER allowed in 47.2 IP in those games.  The rest of his numbers are pretty Colon-like, but the results are what they are...a 4.90 ERA over seven starts is pretty fugly these days.  Getting hard to make a case for why a team looking for a starting pitcher is going to have much interest. 

I'm actually going to the game tomorrow. Hopefully I'll bring the Mets some luck.

No more games for you, lol.

Duda usually sits against lefties...they're still a major weakness for him. 

DNPs are very rare for Murph. 

It's funny, with Colon I'm always waiting for him to just fall apart...but then he'll have some decent-to-good starts.  One or two more poor starts, and the Mets will be stuck with him for the remainder of this season. 

Yeah I'm glad I decided to attend the game where Murphy, Duda and d'Arnaud are all on the bench. Awesome. Fat Bart didn't help today either.

Kind of weird timing for them to do it, they were going to have to win at least 3 of 4 in this series to stay close enough to continue indulging the fantasy of being 'in it'.

Kind of weird timing for them to do it, they were going to have to win at least 3 of 4 in this series to stay close enough to continue indulging the fantasy of being 'in it'.

That's exactly what I thought. I could see giving one of them a day off but all three? That was the straight B lineup today. It was almost like conceding defeat.

Disgusting abortion of a game. Can't believe I shelled out money for that crap. First and last time...go to the ballpark to see human excrement like Tejada and CY stink up a lineup.

I paid to watch that crap today too, if it makes you feel any better...

Curtis is in a brutal skid right now...6 for his last 45.  Though he's been obviously been all over the place this season, unfortunately the overall numbers are now probably about what we should expect from Curtis as a Met in the time that he's here...he's a .258 career hitter who has exceeded that mark exactly once since 2008.   

I really hope Sandy is proactive in trying to improve this offense.  It's fair to say that the locks next season will be:

Wright (who will probably never be what he was)

d'Arnaud (still a work in progress)

Grandy (best offensive years are behind him)

Duda (is 2014 for real?)

Lagares (will probably never be a much of a presence at the plate, but that glove...)

Murphy (hits for a good average and gets 2B hits but has limitations)

Kind of scary that a team that can't hit (.236 BA after yesterday) only really has two openings in its lineup.  I'd be very surprised if any of the above names get dealt in the offseason...I don't see how the above six aren't Mets next season. 

For now, I think I give Flores a month or so at short, if not longer.  Tejada did what he could and wasn't a complete nightmare, but he's simply not very good at the plate and the organization never had his back this season, so why keep putting him out there?  I don't need to see Flores keep raking in the PCL...we get it, he's a beast for Vegas.  Might as well find out if he can hit at all in the majors (we know he won't be much of a fielder).  And I'm sorry, if the Mets were the slightest bit interested in keeping up a "Hey, we're still in this thing" charade, then Amateur Terry wouldn't have thrown yesterday's lineup on the field.  So even though Flores looks like a guy who probably isn't going to be much of a force at the major-league level, let's actually try to find that out...we already know Tejada won't, and he's not going to be a Met next season anyway.

Anyway, it's looking like a lot of the offensive "improvements" next season will have to come from guys who are already here.  I'm curious to see how far Sandy is willing to go to upgrade at short and one of the outfield spots.      

Matt Reynolds went 4/5 last night in Vegas with a HR and 3 rbi. Now hitting .340. He is 18 for his last 33(!!!)

Now I don't know his range or arm. But at the plate this guy seems to really be coming along nicely. We may have a good in house replacement to Tejada right here

Though I agree, give Flores a fair shake at SS first. I'd give him all of August. But come September Reynolds has to be here. 

So hard to know what to make of Vegas numbers.  Guys seem to hit .300+ blindfolded there.  Look what d'Arnaud did while he was in the PCL this season.  Not to mention Valdespin last year. 

According to this article, SS is Reynolds' preferred position, but his footwork needs improvement:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-prospect-matt-reynolds-owes-his-success-to-hard-work-1.8950885

I have to admit, I fall into the trap of treating Flores as being much older than he really is...Reynolds is actually 8 months older than Flores (who turns 23 on Wednesday).  It's just that Flores has been so underwhelming in his limited sample, but even at that, a lot of 22-23 years have struggled coming out of the gate before they figured it out in the majors.  I don't know what it is...it just feels like there's not much there.  But it's like I've said, the guy has been a beast at AAA...there's nothing left for him to prove there, and Tejada is what he is and probably won't be much more than that, so might as well give Flores one month of near-everyday play to show what he's got (no going with Tejada for four games after Flores goes 1-for-8 or something like that in a couple of games).  Like you said, Reynolds can get the next month if Flores falters at the plate or is a butcher in the field. 

It's worth mentioning Reynolds is only a year removed from OPS'ing in the .630s in St. Lucie. A lot of his success at the plate this season looks very fluky: sky-high BABIP, meh BB and K rates in AAA, not much power.

Edited by nmigliore

It's worth mentioning Reynolds is only a year removed from OPS'ing in the .630s in St. Lucie. A lot of his success at the plate this season looks very fluky: sky-high BABIP, meh BB and K rates in AAA, not much power.

To tell you the truth, I don't think the Met SS of the future is currently in the organization.  If the Mets are at all serious about contending next season, they can't go into next season with some permutation of Tejada, Reynolds and/or Flores, and hope for the best, especially with the number of iffy bats coming back next season.