Lamoriello not expecting to be as active.

Maddog

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello doesn’t expect to be nearly as involved in the UFA market this summer.

“I don’t think so,” he said.

Lamoriello indicated there are several reasons why, but wouldn’t elaborate.

Shortly after the season ended, Lamoriello said that improving the team’s puck-moving skill on defense was on an off-season need. He said, “It’s hard to tell,” however, if he’ll be able to fill that need on the UFA market.

Part of the reason is we’re less than 48 hours from the opening of bidding on the UFA market at noon on Friday, but it’s still unclear which defensemen will be available.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_wont_be_as_active_on_the_free_agent_market_this_year/

Edited by Maddog2009

Yeah, no doubt that's the major reason.I agree with TG, we could start the season with 20 players again unless Lou can get creative and make some room.

Several reasons???? We have no cap space.

its also because there are extremely few UFA that would truly be an upgrade over what the devils have for the value they'd command.

it's true that the devils aren't calling on brad richards or christian erhoff or tom kaberle or even ian white - these are guys that are going to get pretty decent contracts and the devils are in a position to give out one of those - and it's earmarked for parise.

but they're likely not calling on ANY forwards - at this point, they really have too many. i mean, is a guy like max talbot or tom fleischmann a nice piece? sure - but why? i mean, of course we'd all prefer him to rolston for the role he's gonna play but that's not happening. you're just crowding the deck a little more than it is already.

and as for defensemen, i'm sure they'll put a call into guys like mccabe or jovonovski or babchuk or ericsson or even andy greene to see if any wants a short deal at $2MM or something.

and they'll give a call to some goaltenders to see if there's a fit there also to back up marty.

but the holes are not nearly as glaring or as plentiful as they were last year.