Star Ledger-Devils, hopeful of re-signing Andy Greene

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I think Noreau gets a chance to make the team depending how he does in camp, especially if Larsson isn't playing in Jersey this year. He's got a good right handed shot from the point, which is something the Devils need. I could see that bumping him on to the team if it's between him and someone else for the 6/7 spot.

I don't think the shot is the issue there...Kovalchuk got the good right hand shot. Our problem is how we move the puck on our PP...we are static, nobody is moving. A guy like Kaberle (only an example) moves the puck and creates the scoring chance by doing the good pass.

I think I'd love to see a defense-man with much more assists than goals on our PP. Yes PP QB have to score, but a guy like Erhoff got 36 passes, Lidstrom is 46 passes last year.

Moving the puck on the rush, making a good first pass, moving the puck on the PP and creating the chance by making once again the good pass is what we need much more than a hard shot.

Noreau looks like a guy who can pass and create on the PP, (18 goals and 34 assists) but can he translate that in the NHL ?

Edited by SS-SS

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the shot is the issue there...Kovalchuk got the good right hand shot. Our problem is how we move the puck on our PP...we are static, nobody is moving. A guy like Kaberle (only an example) moves the puck and creates the scoring chance by doing the good pass.

I think I'd love to see a defense-man with much more assists than goals on our PP. Yes PP QB have to score, but a guy like Erhoff got 36 passes, Lidstrom is 46 passes last year.

Moving the puck on the rush, making a good first pass, moving the puck on the PP and creating the chance by making once again the good pass is what we need much more than a hard shot.

Noreau looks like a guy who can pass and create on the PP, (18 goals and 34 assists) but can he translate that in the NHL ?

I see what you're saying, but having a right handed d-man who can contribute offensively is important and something the Devils haven't had in years. I never said he can't pass, but being right handed could be what pushes him onto the team if Larsson stays in Sweden this year.

fayne is one of those slots and based on the amount of time he got last year, i'd say he's a rookie in name only. so its only two spots to fill truthfully and one of them will almost certainly be taormina. that leaves urbom/larsson/corrente/fraser (as of now) to fight for the 6th and 7th spots.

my concern with locking up greene at a 4/12 or even 3/9 type deal is that it locks a place on the roster for him which keeps an improving youngster (the first two guys above plus merill, burlon, gelinas and any of the UFA minor leaguers that lou signed in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle).

White is in a contract year, so he won't be holding up a spot for too long. With all our talented, young D-men, I highly doubt he is retained next year.

If Greene wants to stay in New Jersey that bad then Lou could give him a 2-year deal at $3-$4M total, which is an increase from his $775,000 he was making last season. If Greene is looking for Paul Martin (being way overpaid) money then he is most likely gone. The most IMO Greene could get is 3-years at $7M total if Lou wants to pay that much. It will be interesting to see what Greene gets.

Edited by SatansDevils

White is in a contract year, so he won't be holding up a spot for too long. With all our talented, young D-men, I highly doubt he is retained next year.

i would be very surprised if white is not re-signed at the end of this deal for another 2-3 years. he'll be 34 next june and has shown no reason why he can't be a solid mid pairing defenseman for another 2-3 years. he should be plenty affordable and assuming no crazy roll back in the CBA, he'll stay at the $3MM - $4MM range for that contract.

I see what you're saying, but having a right handed d-man who can contribute offensively is important and something the Devils haven't had in years. I never said he can't pass, but being right handed could be what pushes him onto the team if Larsson stays in Sweden this year.

I see what you are saying too and I think you are right. I might have overlooked the upsides of right handed d-man. Anyway really hope Noreau shows great things and make the team.