Elias offensive player of the week

Elias Sports Bureau

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/03/208990.html

NEW YORK -- New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias, who led all NHL scorers with nine points (three goals, six assists) and posted a +6 rating in four games, has been named the NHL's Offensive Player of the Week for the period ending Sunday, March 28. San Jose Sharks goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, who went 3-0-0 with a 1.64 goals-against average and .944 save percentage as the Sharks reached 100 points for the first time in franchise history and moved within two points of the Pacific Division title, has been named Defensive Player of the Week.

Devils forward Scott Gomez (2-7--9, +7 in four games) and Edmonton Oilers forward Fernando Pisani (5-1--6 in four games) were runners-up for offensive honors, while Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Marc Denis (2-0-0, 0.98 goals-against average, one shutout) and Atlanta Thrashers goaltender Kari Lehtonen (2-0-0, 1.00 goals-against average, one shutout) were runners-up for the defensive award.

Elias tallied multiple points in three games, beginning with a pair of assists in a 4-3 overtime victory at Florida March 23. He finished the week with consecutive one-goal, two-assist performances in victories over the Atlanta Thrashers (5-0, March 26) and New York Islanders (3-2, March 28). Elias' game-winning goal in the victory at Atlanta was his ninth of the season, tops on the Devils and tied for second in the League overall.

Elias leads the Devils in several categories, including goals (37), points (76), plus-minus (+27), shots (289), game-winning goals (nine), power-play goals (nine) and shorthanded goals (three), and is one of four New Jersey players who has played in all 79 games.

Nabokov recorded victories over three Western Conference rivals, beginning with a 37-save effort in a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings March 23. He turned aside 28 of 30 shots in a 3-2 victory over the Calgary Flames March 25 and made 20 stops in a 3-2 overtime victory against the Dallas Stars March 28.

Nabokov has been among the League's hottest goaltenders in the second half of the season. Since Feb. 1 Nabokov is 15-6-1, tied with Tampa Bay's Nikolai Khabibulin for the most victories in that span.

Elias' game-winning goal in the victory at Atlanta was his ninth of the season, tops on the Devils and tied for second in the League overall.

Elias leads the Devils in several categories, including goals (37), points (76), plus-minus (+27), shots (289), game-winning goals (nine), power-play goals (nine) and shorthanded goals (three), and is one of four New Jersey players who has played in all 79 games.

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Nieds gets a lot of facetime and of course Marty is god, but I'm expecting some kind of end-of-year all-star team spot for Elias. In addition to just being off Kovalchuk's goal pace, he's a faaaaaar better all-around player and if it wasn't for that line there'd be an s-load more complaining around here.

A bunch of us said it a few weeks ago... he was a ton of fun to watch in 2000 and 2001, but I think I'm more appreciative of it now, cause of the all-around game and the sense that he knows it ain't easy and he has to work for every point.

VERY nice for Gomer to get props too... 'cause he's just en fuego. He had a great line the other day about just opening his eyes wide when he sees Elias or G getting open. It just must be a total blast to be on the ice for them.

ESB.....I just checked out your pics from the Tampa game, and I have to ask since I don't remember reading about it in the game thread....what made the fans that were sitting around you some of the dumbest in the world?

OK, it's hard sooooo hard to explain 'cause I've tried to a couple times before. And I took a couple of people with me who hadn't gone before and within five minutes, they're like I unnnnnderstaaaaaand now!!!!

But they don't understand the game... which is fine and all because you don't come out of the womb knowing it... but then they don't respect it and they're all "oooooh, the Devils are making me laugh" when they don't score on the power play. But they just don't see they're being outplayed and they just explode on the easiest saves made by their goalie.

They're like "hit somebody" when instead they should be "get the puck out of the zone." And they get very excited in the neutral zone before they even cross the blue line on offense. And then oops, there's Nieds just not even letting them get something started.

I wish I could bottle it to really show what I mean. But because they haven't had much time with the game, they don't have respect for what's gone before. And it's just hideous to be around.

ESB, I like your posts. You're the biggest Elias supporter I know. And you can make a case that this is Elias' best season because he didn't have Arnott or Sykora around. But he didn't have a better season than Kovalchuk. Sorry. The All-Star team is not about overall game. It's about who had the best season.

Elias has a shot at 2nd team.

ESB, I like your posts. You're the biggest Elias supporter I know. And you can make a case that this is Elias' best season because he didn't have Arnott or Sykora around. But he didn't have a better season than Kovalchuk. Sorry. The All-Star team is not about overall game. It's about who had the best season.

Elias has a shot at 2nd team.

Well I'll certainly buy that he could not be named first team.

But why can't it be considered as good or better? He's been as flashy -- I don't think I've seen more ESPN Top 10 goals by anyone else...

He's got the most game-winners on his team, all those stats listed in the story in which he leads his team. He's only a couple goals behind Kovalchuk and his +/- is light years better. Ilya's total points are better, but you weigh these things...

I don't say he's def. gonna get it, but why shouldn't he at least be in the running? He's the Devils offensive MVP by a long shot. And his team's in the playoffs.

And I can do it for Nieds for Norris if nied be. It's certainly not all about Elias... like I always say... when they're on the ice, Scott Clemmensen means as much to me as Marty Brodeur.

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau

ESB, Elias is better overall. If he had started out the way he's finishing, he'd be a lock for his second First All-Star Team.

You know, another thing that's become amazing. Elias and Gomez. Gomez and Elias.

This is how the Devils leaderboard looks:

C 26 PATRIK ELIAS 79 18:41 37 39 76 27 40 9 3 9

C 23 SCOTT GOMEZ 77 15:56 12 54 66 16 68 1 0 0

D 27 SCOTT NIEDERMAYER 78 25:55 13 37 50 22 42 8 0 3

Here's the Thrashers one:

L 17 ILYA KOVALCHUK 78 23:30 39 46 85 9- 63 16 1 6

R 19 SHAWN MCEACHERN 79 20:14 16 37 53 3 74 5 1 2

C 9 MARC SAVARD 45 22:19 19 33 52 8- 85 6 1 3

L 13 VYACHESLAV KOZLOV 73 20:23 20 30 50 10- 72 6 0 1

Note that Savard's injury killed the Thrashers. Look how many pts Kovalchuk outscored McEachern by. Interesting.

It's the Elias-Gomer show. G's a guest star. And he's Charo, he's one that you like to see come on the show. But it's their show.

I don't think he has 20 on any other line. I love how they kid him about his assist total. Totally funny

you could have at least said he was Tim Conway to Elias and Gomer's Carol Burnett and Harvey Corman :P (Turner is Lyle Wagner :uni: )

Ok to resume...

Elias & Gomer was on fire... and maybe two of the best player of the league since the 2 half of the season

The team is on the race for the jennings

marty is marty

and we still have fear for the playoff ? :P

(I know "without fear no win" but you know what i mean... )