NHL salaries on the decline

Rock

NHL salaries on the decline

http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/detail.asp...at=954945254360

July 16, 2004

Salaries of NHL players who have signed new contracts this summer have decreased by more than five per cent, according to data assembled by The Hockey News.

Of 72 restricted and unrestricted NHL free agents who agreed to new contracts between the end of the Stanley Cup final and mid-July, 28 (39 per cent) are taking pay cuts in 2004-05, 10 (14 per cent) will earn the same amount, while 34 (47 per cent) are getting raises.

The average salary of the 72 players decreased from $1.68 million in 2003-04 to $1.59 million in 2004-05 (5.5 per cent).

The results of the salary survey suggest teams are keeping a close watch on payrolls heading into a possible NHL lockout this fall. It is expected a new collective bargaining agreement will include a luxury tax on high payrolls or a salary cap.

The highest free agent contract thus far was signed by Toronto goalie Ed Belfour, who will earn $8 million in 2004-05. New Jersey forward John Madden is next at $4 million.

Many of the players who received raises were restricted free agents earning less than the average salary who had to be offered a 10-per-cent increase for the team to retain the player

The highest free agent contract thus far was signed by Toronto goalie Ed Belfour, who will earn $8 million in 2004-05. New Jersey forward John Madden is next at $4 million.

Didn't Primeau sign for $5.5 million?

$4.5M...took a cut from...$6M I think?

Does anyone else not really care what anyone's making? I just don't.

Every team knows what the market for hockey is... particularly in the States. How far up do they think can hike prices with most franchises in the red? And if takes a hit, I'm still going to go to the same amount of games every year.

I like it when guys I root for get paid... it ultimately means that we can't keep the 2003 Cup team together because even if they were just getting their money, someone's still going to have to go. But that's the nature of sports nowadays and something as a fan that you get used to.

It's naive, but really I don't feel like working myself up about what some guys' salary is when he couldn't give a good s*&t if I care or not.

Lou says he can't keep all the guys who got qualifiers... and that he had interest in all the guys. So moves are gonna be made. And when they are, I'll still root for the Devils.

It's naive, but really I don't feel like working myself up about what some guys' salary is when he couldn't give a good s*&t if I care or not.

I agree with that thought process....It does have some meaning no question, but the real issues are with ticket prices and whatnot..those are the things that need to be lowered or controlled...but hopefully the overall salaries can be lowered, thus ticket prices can at least stabilize or lower to benefit the fans.