Jays' Delgado refuses to stand

However, what makes this country so great is that you don't HAVE TO stand.

That is true, and if it wasn't, Delgado would be against the wall now and shot. Maybe he should stand up for the fact that this country allows him to make a choice and not stand..whatever..

I would stand once every inning if they played a song. Too many people gave their lives for us past and present, and this country gives me so many opprotunities for a good life, the least i can do is stand for it for a few minutes...

See that's just it, some are more visibly patriotic than others. If some Americans don't stand doesn't mean they love their country less, or are less patriotic. Just because you live here doesn't mean you have to love every action the country takes. That's the freedom our revolutionary soldiers fought for.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true, and if it wasn't, Delgado would be against the wall now and shot. Maybe he should stand up for the fact that this country allows him to make a choice and not stand..whatever..

I would stand once every inning if they played a song. Too many people gave their lives for us past and present, and this country gives me so many opprotunities for a good life, the least i can do is stand for it for a few minutes...

He doesn't live in America, he wasn't Born in America, he isn't payed by an American team. America isn't the country that gives him that choice, Canada is. He is just visiting America.

Fine, let him play only in Montreal and Toronto, we don't want him down here, except Jester who would love his company while sitting down for God Bless America...

Baseball is an American sport...hell.. the Blue Jays are in the AMERICAN LEAGUE...

You sould like a 5 year old.....Its actually pretty funny.

"Its my game and I don't want you to play anymore"

He doesn't live in America, he wasn't Born in America, he isn't payed by an American team. America isn't the country that gives him that choice, Canada is. He is just visiting America.

He plays in a league where 28 out of 30 teams are in the U.S. and his country has enjoyed years of benefits from America yet Delgado hates America because of the nuclear testing done in puerto rico. Also, Delgado is truly lucky he plays in Canada because I would like to see the reaction if he was to do this for 81 games playing in Milwaukee for example.

See that's just it, some are more visibly patriotic than others. If some Americans don't stand doesn't mean they love their country less, or are less patriotic. Just because you live here doesn't mean you have to love every action the country takes. That's the freedom our revolutionary soldiers fought for.

Thankyou.....

He plays in a league where 28 out of 30 teams are in the U.S. and his country has enjoyed years of benefits from America yet Delgado hates America because of the nuclear testing done in puerto rico. Also, Delgado is truly lucky he plays in Canada because I would like to see the reaction if he was to do this for 81 games playing in Milwaukee for example.

He didn't say he hates the USA.......Where the flying **** are you all getting this. He said he doesn't agree with their decision to go into Iraq.

Do you guys go to bed telling yourself everyone hates you. Paranoid.......

You right, we were smart enough to negotiate our freedom rather then kill. I guess that what makes us Canadian and you....well American.

Yah, because you weren't about to start a war with England in 1982.

Key thing is we didn't start a war with Engalnd in 1982....so whats the problem.

If you did, do you really think you would have won? Point is, you really had no choice but to negotiate.

He didn't say he hates the USA.......Where the flying **** are you all getting this. He said he doesn't agree with their decision to go into Iraq.

It's more than Iraq. He said he didn't agree with Afghanistan either and he's been complaining about about the nuclear testing done in Vieques.

Fine, let him play only in Montreal and Toronto, we don't want him down here, except Jester who would love his company while sitting down for God Bless America...

I'm guess you mean "country."

I think what's clear here is that since you would "stand once every inning if they played the song," you feel anyone who wouldn't is unpatriotic, is disrespecting the dead or hates the country.

God forbid some of us just hear it as a song at a baseball game, not some Pavlovian jingoistic call-to-action...

<JESTER>

It's more than Iraq. He said he didn't agree with Afghanistan either and he's been complaining about about the nuclear testing done in Vieques.

Where does he say that? He only said he feels sorry for the people who died, not once did he say he was against that.

If some Americans don't stand doesn't mean they love their country less, or are less patriotic

It depends on the reason why they do not stand.. in delgado's case.. it's painfully obvious..

This comming from an american of all people......LOL......Canada stands for peace, ethnic backround, freedom. USA stands for war and overpowering everyone in its way.

Go on vacation and ask any country who they respect more.....USA or Canada, then see who stands for the right things.

So America doesnt stand for land of the free, the land of opportunity? ALL we do is push people around and go to war?? You cant be serious, or could you? :blink:

The Untied States dosent stand for ethnic backgrounds? Have you ever been here?

So Im supposed to judge whether or not Canada is better then the USA by asking someone on the street what country they like better? How many of these people will really say they care about Canada that much in the first place? And where will I hear these views? France perhaps? :blink:

Listen, if you Canadians want to keep bashing the Untied States, please feel free to do so, get on board the bandwagon, because we ALL know all this bashing is centered around 1 person, and people IMO arent thinking about all the issues as a whole and just love the fact they can bash the United States, and I say, hey, more power to you, I could care le$$.

Let me ask you this, why are you SO interested in US Politics in the first place?? Why does it concern you so much if you do not like what we stand for?? Go read more about your politics then if Canada is so wonderful and grand, and Im not suggesting that Canada isnt a nice place to live either, I in fact enjoy my visits to Canada and have had nice things to say about Canada in the past, so do not label me a Canada hater, but if these anti-American comments keep coming over and over and over, my view is gonna change.

You know what Im getting sick and tired of now? How the media is focusing on this kind of story. I do not care what Carlos Delgado says, he says "I didnt want the attention"...baloney, he had to know it would be noticed sooner or later, and I think subconsciously he wanted the attention drawn to it. I could give a rats a$$ what a baseball player thinks about the war on Iraq, pro or con. But most of the media ALWAYS wants to make more out of something then it really is, especially when the word God is associated with it, which all of the sudden is becoming a curse word to the media, like its a bad thing :unsure:

So here is the media, focused on Carlos Delgado's opinions, focused on the CEO of an ice cream company making a statue of President Bush and lighting a fire under his pants, when we have so many people here in the US who need food, have no money, kids who are abadoned by their mothers and fathers and whatnot and have no direction, we need to help these people get off their feet and working and living productive lives, not saying we will deal with them later and throw money at the problem. But oh no, lets focus on Michael Moore some more, and watch his wallet get fat on some movie.

My aplogies in advance if I appeared to get off the topic a bit :rolleyes:

Where does he say that? He only said he feels sorry for the people who died, not once did he say he was against that.

``It's a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11. It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq,'' Delgado said at the time. ``I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war.

``I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war,'' he said. ``I'm for peace.''

He doesn't exactly say the words "I'm against the war in Afghanistan" but that's what many probably get from what he said

I think what's clear here is that since you would "stand once every inning if they played the song," you feel anyone who wouldn't is unpatriotic, is disrespecting the dead or hates the country.

Well, they play the anthem once and God Bless America once, is it really that hard just to stand up?

If some Americans don't stand doesn't mean they love their country less, or are less patriotic

It depends on the reason why they do not stand.. in delgado's case.. it's painfully obvious..

Right, but then why question Jesters love for his country when he says he doesn't want to stand? :noclue:

Well, they play the anthem once and God Bless America once, is it really that hard just to stand up?

Because once is enough.

<JESTER>

"Canada stands for peace, ethnic background.." blah blah blah

Let me tell you something, you'd be pretty pissed off if any terrorist came to attack your biggest city. My dad was near the WTC during the attack. Don't give me this sh!t about standing for freedom, so does the US, but don't act like your country would do nothing in the event of an attack.

Let me tell you something, you'd be pretty pissed off if any terrorist came to attack your biggest city. My dad was near the WTC during the attack. Don't give me this sh!t about standing for freedom, so does the US, but don't act like your country would do nothing in the event of an attack.

Agreed. I lost a friend of mine I knew for over 20 years in the WTC attacks and another person I knew from playing poker with a bunch of friends in Brooklyn who was an NY Firefighter and he was one of the first ones on the scene. And it should affect thoese of us more who were closer to the event no question, but if this happened in Chicago or Los Angeles or Toronto, I would be equally as upset about it.

Because once is enough.

<JESTER>

They waste a ton of time at baseball games with commercials and other stuff yet you have a problem with a song that will only take a few minutes :huh:

(Also, God Bless America is only played on Sundays and holidays in most stadiums, it's played everytime in Yankee Stadium because of 9/11 so it's not like every baseball fan is "subject" to standing up for SO LONG)

It's hard talking to Canadians about the War on Terror cause they didn't feel 9/11 like we did over here, esspecially living here in NJ, only 15 minutes from ground zero.

But now, unfortunatly, even Americans forgot how powerful the events of 9/11 where... :( .... and refuse to stand up atleast 2 times honoring the country in the stadium of the city that the towers fell down

cause it takes too much effort to get up off the seat and show some respect....

Edited by TK421

This comming from an american of all people......LOL......Canada stands for peace, ethnic backround, freedom. USA stands for war and overpowering everyone in its way.

Go on vacation and ask any country who they respect more.....USA or Canada, then see who stands for the right things.

So America doesnt stand for land of the free, the land of opportunity? ALL we do is push people around and go to war?? You cant be serious, or could you? :blink:

The Untied States dosent stand for ethnic backgrounds? Have you ever been here?

So Im supposed to judge whether or not Canada is better then the USA by asking someone on the street what country they like better? How many of these people will really say they care about Canada that much in the first place? And where will I hear these views? France perhaps? :blink:

Listen, if you Canadians want to keep bashing the Untied States, please feel free to do so, get on board the bandwagon, because we ALL know all this bashing is centered around 1 person, and people IMO arent thinking about all the issues as a whole and just love the fact they can bash the United States, and I say, hey, more power to you, I could care le$$.

Let me ask you this, why are you SO interested in US Politics in the first place?? Why does it concern you so much if you do not like what we stand for?? Go read more about your politics then if Canada is so wonderful and grand, and Im not suggesting that Canada isnt a nice place to live either, I in fact enjoy my visits to Canada and have had nice things to say about Canada in the past, so do not label me a Canada hater, but if these anti-American comments keep coming over and over and over, my view is gonna change.

You know what Im getting sick and tired of now? How the media is focusing on this kind of story. I do not care what Carlos Delgado says, he says "I didnt want the attention"...baloney, he had to know it would be noticed sooner or later, and I think subconsciously he wanted the attention drawn to it. I could give a rats a$$ what a baseball player thinks about the war on Iraq, pro or con. But most of the media ALWAYS wants to make more out of something then it really is, especially when the word God is associated with it, which all of the sudden is becoming a curse word to the media, like its a bad thing :unsure:

So here is the media, focused on Carlos Delgado's opinions, focused on the CEO of an ice cream company making a statue of President Bush and lighting a fire under his pants, when we have so many people here in the US who need food, have no money, kids who are abadoned by their mothers and fathers and whatnot and have no direction, we need to help these people get off their feet and working and living productive lives, not saying we will deal with them later and throw money at the problem. But oh no, lets focus on Michael Moore some more, and watch his wallet get fat on some movie.

My aplogies in advance if I appeared to get off the topic a bit :rolleyes:

I don't hate the USA, I hate the American Goverment. I love visiting New Hampshire every year and going to a redsox game. The people are friendly for the most part. Glad I didn't run into a couple jerks like the ones on this board. I just don't like Bush or the American goverment. I don't like how right wing they are. Hate me if you want, I couldn't give a half damn.

``It's a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11. It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq,'' Delgado said at the time. ``I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war.

``I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war,'' he said. ``I'm for peace.''

He doesn't exactly say the words "I'm against the war in Afghanistan" but that's what many probably get from what he said

I'm as anti war as they come but I even was happy what they did in Afghanistan, if there was a less violent way to do it, all the power to it. Because Carlos is anti war doesn't mean he was against the attacks on the terrorists.

Where the hell did I say they wouldn't. There is a difference between responding to an attack and just jumping in. Canada jumped in 3 wars in the last 100 years. WW1, WW2, and as some call WW3, the Korean War. All three I could understand anyone going into, well maybe not the Korean War.

I'm as anti war as they come but I even was happy what they did in Afghanistan,

You are contradicting yourself all over the place...

Tell me where? Where did I say I like war? I said I am in favor of stoping disputes useing methods other then war.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.