NJDevs '14-15 Fantasy Hockey, season begins!

redruM

On 3/6/2016 at 2:53 PM, aylbert said:

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with a month to go. 

I wouldn't be as confident in NJDefenders position.    A lot of those categories look like they could erode with limited games.  He might even place 3/4.   Or win it...  or second...  ha

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe next year I'll go over in games played by a bunch early if my key guys are just gonna get hurt down the stretch anyway :P

O'Reilly's been out for a month, Malkin's out for the season, Klingberg's missed the last two weeks with no return imminent...yeah I don't think any comeback's happening. 

Yeah see, I'm starting to think limiting games is a stupid idea.  Last year I played it super conservative..and then I lost both Sedins and fell from like 2nd to 5th.

This year I went a little over.. but now I'm essentially burning games with second tier players having lost my best guys at various points as well.

Should've wracked up games with my best guys regardless of the limit.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah see, I'm starting to think limiting games is a stupid idea.  Last year I played it super conservative..and then I lost both Sedins and fell from like 2nd to 5th.

This year I went a little over.. but now I'm essentially burning games with second tier players having lost my best guys at various points as well.

What do you mean by stupid idea?

Managing game limits and playing stat players is what makes roto leagues fun.
You don't have to deal with  "damn, Crosby only plays twice this week" like you do in H2H

By the same token not having game limits would lead to a sh*t ton of daily add/drops with backend players and especially goalies, it'd basically be first come and first serve which favors the people who are near a computer/app a lot more.  And it doesn't take a lot of brainpower to just fill your roster every day if you had unlimited games (particularly on forward and defense where everything except plus/minus is a counting stat), but when you have a 'realistic' game limit then it requires some strategy.

Plus either way losing your star players bites you in the ass, if you are over game limits then it's because you filled out game limits with bench players anyway.  If you're under game limits you just fill it out with bench players later.  It's just a matter of when you do it.  I generally prefer to do it as late as possible in case of good health for the starters.  But it's not like you're ever benching Kane or Crosby to meet game limits, you're benching the other guys.  

And with the three bench players there are always options to go over game limits, in theory the 3-4 bench players 'should' be better than what's on the wire anyway.  IR provides flexibility for that too, though late in the season that's a pain in the ass cause teams don't really need to put guys on IR so they don't show up on Yahoo IR and give you the extra roster spot to fill in.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh no I'm sorry, phrased that poorly. I meant, worrying about game limits early in the season is stupid. I like the idea of having them in the league, I just pay them too much attention.

I hadn't paid attention to them all season, or last season now that I think about it. How would having no limits result in a lot of add/drops?

Ive lost a few good goalie starts because the lineups get messed up when I add/drop for IR purposes.
I usually set my lineups a week / week and a half out.

Rinne has been pretty good this past month or so.       Miller and Bob less so.

On March 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Well I'm having a bad week this week too, mostly goalie related

Allen gets punked by Calgary

Allen gets punked by Edmonton

Dubnyk gets destroyed by the freaking Devils :rofl:

You started Dubnyk against the Devils? I can't bring myself to start a goalie in fantasy against the Devils. They usually come first.

When the Devils are an actual good team (which hasn't been the case for a while) I generally don't play goalies against them.  When they're the worst offense in the history of the franchise playing out the string, a little different :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

22 hours ago, redruM said:

Sure, Now Rinne plays well, sucked for all but about a week while he was on my team!

I paid a huge price but to me it's been worth it.

Perry in 27 games since has gone 13-11-24 (9 on PP), +3 with 28 hits, 9 blocks and 2 GWG.
Rinne in 20 games has posted a 13-4-3 record, with a 2.19 GAA, .923 GAA and 2 SHO

and the starter I traded away Mrazek in 20 games has gone 10-7-2 (one was in relief), with a 2.46 GAA, .909 GAA, 2 SHO.

So I improved a tad giving up swapping goalies (and a strong keeper); but lost Perry.
I traded Perry for a goalie because I also gained Kucherov and Nash...

Kucherov in 25 games has since gone 9-12-21 (8 on PP), 12 hits, 7 blocks, 1 GWG
Nash in 7 games [OUCH] has since gone 1-0-0 (0 on PP), 5 hits, 4 blocks, 1 GWG

Edited by aylbert

Brian Elliott and his ****ing Brian Boucher-like shutout streak is the annoyance of my fantasy existence right now, if I picked him up I could have had this in single digits by now.  I should have been paying enough attention to stash Elliott on IR though, I just sort of assumed he wasn't going to play much this season after Allen got hot and he got hurt.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2016 at 4:46 PM, NJDEVS1730 said:

I hadn't paid attention to them all season, or last season now that I think about it. How would having no limits result in a lot of add/drops?

I didn't answer this before but if there were no game limits there'd be no reason not to fill up your lineup every day and also constantly shuttle out your bubble forwards/d-men/scrub goalies to make moves every day to fill up your blank spots for guys playing upcoming games (though you'd also have to make moves on the previous day to affect that day's games since Yahoo's rosters delay going into effect till the following day) and pile up counting stats.  

Other than plus-minus and a couple of the goalie stats everything else is a counting stat where the more games you play the more numbers you put up.  But with everyone having game limits it comes down to having the best roster/roster management rather than being quicker on the draw to add/drop.

Looks like this might actually be a race now after Dubnyk's shutout and Ward's shorthanded goal tonight.  Ironically piling up the counting stats might save me the last two weeks since plus/minus is no longer a concern (although my ghastly total there will undoubtedly be what bites me in the ass if I run out of time to catch up) :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't look now, but #2 is making a strong push!

I'm looking, and I'm worried. I got scared about my goalie starts going over so I stopped starting my goalies and I missed out on a lot of wins. Hopefully my other stats will hang in there and hold on for 1st.

My push for goalie wins came too late.  I feel confident my team was drafted/built right besides Goalie.

I never do well in hits/blocks; but typically ride a hot goalie which masks that.  This year neither category did well for me.

As mentioned before, I don't think my goalie trade was that spectacular.  Mrazek took over the reigns in Detroit as I traded him; so the benefit of Rinnes' turned around was a moot point.

I strongly feel Hasan will win this.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

I definitely learned a bit from this year's season as well.  Especially regarding hits and blocks.. which I did poorly in last season as well.

I figured this year I'd grab some low-ranked big defenseman and 4th liners late in the draft and that would suffice, but clearly it did not.  You really need to draft guys in the first couple of rounds that both hit/block and score.  Your Benns, Ovechkins, Lucics, etc.  

On 3/26/2016 at 7:31 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Brian Elliott and his ****ing Brian Boucher-like shutout streak is the annoyance of my fantasy existence right now, if I picked him up I could have had this in single digits by now.  I should have been paying enough attention to stash Elliott on IR though, I just sort of assumed he wasn't going to play much this season after Allen got hot and he got hurt.

oops

4 hours ago, aylbert said:

My push for goalie wins came too late.  I feel confident my team was drafted/built right besides Goalie.

I never do well in hits/blocks; but typically ride a hot goalie which masks that.  This year neither category did well for me.

As mentioned before, I don't think my goalie trade was that spectacular.  Mrazek took over the reigns in Detroit as I traded him; so the benefit of Rinnes' turned around was a moot point.

I strongly feel Hasan will win this.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

I looking  at this chart and it makes me ill!!  I cannot believe I wasted a 1st round pick on a goalie for those piss poor stats!

At least I have keepers to trade!!  anyone who needs keepers needs to offer me a trade once the season is over!!

I don't think this is going to be a walkover yet, mainly cause goaltending stats could still swing several points both ways and that's the only area where games left is equal.

I'm not gonna lie though, I was a day or two from mentally writing off the season entirely but my crucial production on Saturday made it a race again, I've set my lineups for the rest of the way (goaltending aside) and am set for the big stretch run.

Edited by NJDevs4978