New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Loney's not a HR hitter by any stretch...100 career HR's in about 4700 AB's is like 10 in a full season and he's only hit double-digits once in the last five years.  So long as he hits .280 and fields fine I'm okay with him though.

The Thor starts are almost becoming the one day reprieve from the angst the rest of the week :P

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Loney's not a HR hitter by any stretch...100 career HR's in about 4700 AB's is like 10 in a full season and he's only hit double-digits once in the last five years.  So long as he hits .280 and fields fine I'm okay with him though.

The Thor starts are almost becoming the one day reprieve from the angst the rest of the week :P

This is true... however, the Mets have magic dust they sprinkle on their players that makes them hit bombs.

Nice job by Thor. It wasn't an A+++ performance but it was still pretty damn good. The Marlins are a perpetual thorn so it didn't shock me when they tied it, but the Mets stopped it from getting worse, got a big big performance from Reed (so terrified he'd give up a dinger there) and got a refreshingly uneventful 9th from Henderson.

Loney's home run was amusing in that, he's such a light swinging contact hitter(at 6'3 240!)...next HR might be Independence Day for all we know, but this one came when we really needed it.

Edited by '7'

6 hours ago, capo said:

I really like having Loney on this team. Great defendender, solid hitter, and you just know the way this team hits bombs he's going to get his.  Great game for Flo tonight too.

Any HRs the Mets get from Loney will be an unexpected bonus.  All they really need from him is to be what he's been for much of his career.  Just hit for average and do the little things that so many guys here can't.  

Was nice to see Terry not be a robot for once.  A lot of times TC would've gone to Familia in the ninth in a game like last night's, just because.  FamilIa will obviously be needed a lot, as this team doesn't figure to play in too many blowouts as currently constructed...save him for the tighter games, and trust your pen (not always easy) to get you through the ninth with 4+run leads.  

I think Loney is going to outperform expectations. Just as Cabrera and Walker have.  Sure, you can look at his track record and say this what you can expect but we have some reasons to believe otherwise. The Mets have a little bit of mojo going on with their aquisitions.

....and don't give up on Flores. Now's when he's going to shine as long as Terry doesn't fvck it up.

Cespedes couldn't even PH today so I hope it's just a bruise and nothing more

Lagares made an incredible catch, the way his wrist turned over you'd worry the whole thing might break. But his thumb swelled up so much he couldn't even grip a back, so it's very worrisome that the thumb itself may be broken

Nationals 19-19 in their last 38 games.  They've managed to hover at 10 games over .500 for a while, but still not showing many signs of being able to pull away. 

Not like the Mets haven't been doing the same thing:  16-16 in their last 32 GP. 

At least Loney and Wilmer are off to good starts in replacing the Loser Twins.  Glad they didn't immediately start taking 0-fers with lots of Ks.  Doesn't mean the warts won't come out later of course...but at least we won't be seeing Eric fvcking Campbell or any another Vegas trash anytime soon.

13 minutes ago, capo said:

Loney and Flo are huge upgrades. My hope is that the ones they replaced do not return.

Settle down.  I've made no secret that I'm no fan of Wright or Duda and I was plenty sick of both of them, but Flores hasn't shown all that much in his career to date, and Loney was in the minors and available for almost free for a reason.  Hopefully they'll do a decent job for as long as they're called upon, but I can't call them "huge upgrades"...by this time in a couple of weeks, it could very well turn out that these guys aren't going to work out. 

The good news with both of them is that neither player required Sandy to have to dip into his limited asset pool to bring them into the mix.  For all intents and purposes, they're both "from within" possible solutions.     

They are huge upgrades because those who they replace are freaking lousy. The fact that a career. 280 hitter was in AAA says something about 1st base around the league. Flores has been a good bat at every level and was very good last year. He is an emotional player and the SS thing got to him. Once he settled in he was very good. Now, that he can play 3rd (probably his most suitable position) every day we will get to see how good he is. He and Loney should be left alone to play  every  day no matter who pitches for the other team.

Duda wasn't having a good year to date but had done some good things the past two seasons (.830 and .838 OB+SLG, 57 HR).  He's still not my type of player...I'm just really tired of low BA-high K guys, even if Duda has always been a pretty good OB% guy.  And I think he's a bad-team ballplayer, and that this season needs to be his last as a Met.  But to call him "freaking lousy", that's a bit much.  He's not a winner and he'll kill you in big spots, but there's guys who are a lot worse.

The problem with Loney is that he's basically a no-power guy who can hit for a good (but far from great) average and doesn't get on base all that much for a guy with a good BA.  Look, I think his limited skill set (provided he plays a good defensive first base) could work here...if he can flirt with his 2013 and 2014 BA and OB% levels, and can come up with some timely hits, he could help the 2016 Mets.  I LOVE the fact that he makes contact...Sandy has overlooked how important that ability is now for years. 

Re:  Flores...he had some good stretches last season, but he hasn't been that good overall.  This may be his final opportunity to prove he has the goods to be an everyday player here.  And to show that, he can't repeat 2015...he needs to take clear steps forward at the plate.  His 2015 .263/.295/.408 slash isn't good enough, especially for a corner position.  If he can get his BA and OB up, you have an interesting corner duo, in that even though they're not massive power threats, both don't strike out that much, which will be a welcome change from Wright and Duda's constant whiffing.  But no one can call them huge upgrades.  They are just as likely to fall flat on their faces as they are to reach their upsides.  All they are at this point are a pair of (somewhat intriguing) question marks.   

53 minutes ago, capo said:

They are huge upgrades because those who they replace are freaking lousy. The fact that a career. 280 hitter was in AAA says something about 1st base around the league. Flores has been a good bat at every level and was very good last year. He is an emotional player and the SS thing got to him. Once he settled in he was very good. Now, that he can play 3rd (probably his most suitable position) every day we will get to see how good he is. He and Loney should be left alone to play  every  day no matter who pitches for the other team.

You said much the same thing about Plawecki replacing TDA...sometimes the grass ain't always greener

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You said much the same thing about Plawecki replacing TDA...sometimes the grass ain't always greener

I don't think that's what I said about Plawecki. With TdA it was about his defense... and it would be hard to get worse... I think Plawecki has been  better in that regard.

1 minute ago, capo said:

I don't think that's what I said about Plawecki. With TdA it was about his defense... and it would be hard to get worse... I think Plawecki has been  better in that regard.

You also made it sound like TDA was terrible at handling a pitching staff, which was definitely unfair and not based on anything concrete.  Plaw is better defensively at this point in his career, but isn't great by any stretch, and though I was hopeful, doesn't look like Plaw's bat is ever going to be any good at the major-league level.

Mets O doing what they do best:  swinging and missing like crazy.  Not that Fernandez isn't capable of doing that to a lot of hitters (especially in this era, where so many hitters seem to be incapable of changing their approach within an AB), but that doesn't mean it really hasn't gotten old.

The funny thing is for all of these hitters who act like striking out 125+ times per season isn't any big deal...why does offense continue to be down?  Clearly that mentality isn't leading to more scoring.  Heaven forbid some of these guys choke up with two strikes or start trying to hit balls the other way when they're playing against shifts. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You also made it sound like TDA was terrible at handling a pitching staff, which was definitely unfair and not based on anything concrete.  Plaw is better defensively at this point in his career, but isn't great by any stretch, and though I was hopeful, doesn't look like Plaw's bat is ever going to be any good at the major-league level.

I think he is terrible at handling a pitching staff. Why do you the booth is drooling over Rivera?

Winning today would be incredible, but even if we don't...depleted lineup vs Fernandez and won the series already. Harvey looking great through 4 but now heading into the dreaded middle innings (albeit with a low pitch count)

5 minutes ago, capo said:

I think he is terrible at handling a pitching staff. Why do you the booth is drooling over Rivera?

Based on? 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on? 

Just listen to all the things Darling in particular says about Rivera. He makes a point to say these because of what the Mets have had behind the plate. And Plawecki is a better catcher than TdA. He's just a no stick. Which you can live with if your defense is superior but his is not.

22 minutes ago, '7' said:

And the middle inning issues strike again.

He gave up a run.  If he got rocked that inning, you can make that argument, but I can't kill him for giving up one run. 

Gets through the middle innings and allows a run on three hits.  Unless the new standard is Harvey's not allowed to give up any runs in the middle innings, he did fine.  Unfortunately the other guy is one of those arms that can expose the Mets (especially this depleted lineup) very easily.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976