New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Wilmer did an awesome Wright imitation there. 

Hopefully Fernandez is done for the afternoon.

Harvey's season ERA down to 4.95...considering it was 6.08 a couple of starts ago, I'll take it. 

14 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K in Harvey's last two starts. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Mets O is nothing if not very predictable.  Especially shorthanded. 

Though we know Jon Niese had his share of frustrating outings and never seemed like the toughest guy on the mound, we also know that he's capable of being quite good for 6-10 week stretches (and those usually come just when it looks like he could lose his spot in the rotation)...of course, he never really did it over the course of a full season...hence, the always overall meh-ish kinds of numbers for both most of his seasons AND his career.

He's on one of his good rolls now...in his last five starts, the traditional numbers:  30.2 IP, 29 H, 9 ER, 5 HR (2 in his last four starts), 8 BB, 22 K, 1.21 WHIP, 2.64 ERA...basically, about the kind of numbers you expect from Niese when things are going his way.  In some ways, some positive regression/normalization was to be expected...he was getting unlucky with his HR/flyball rate.  

Anyway, not saying that the Mets can't win tonight's game, because Matz is certainly capable of a shutdown outing, but is it going to shock anyone if Niese pitches 6-7 innings of 3-4 hit shutout ball, making it look a bit too easy, with Matz either taking an undeserved loss or getting a no-decision?  It's just going to be aggravating to see a strictly "OK" pitcher like Niese have his way with his old ballclub tonight.  Hopefully Walker says "fvck it" and has a big day against HIS old team (even if it has to come in the field with a key play, or on a big hit against the Pirates' pen). 

The Pirates' rotation (54 of 56 games have been started by Locke, Niese, Cole, Liriano, and Nicasio) has not been terribly good as a whole in 2016...there's a reason that the Pirates can't seem to sustain anything (they've now lost seven of nine).  Their combined numbers:  312.1 IP, 320 H, 148 ER, 45 HR, 124 BB, 245 K, 1.42 WHIP, 4.26 ERA. 

Compare to the Met five: (52 games...not including Verrett's starts)...314.1 IP, 300 H, 108 ER, 27 HR, 68 BB, 289 K, 1.17 WHIP, 3.09 ERA

All things considered, this is one of those series that the Mets really have to find a way to win...even with the Pirate offense being very solid.

---------------------------------------------------

Herrera now slashing .287/.332/.500 (still a good bit behind last season's .327/.382/.511), Nimmo up to .306/.388/.461.  Even if Lagares misses some time, as much as I'd like to see Nimmo get some major-league ABs (can he hit much worse than most of the OF right now?), there probably still won't be enough playing time to justify him getting a call-up this early...Granderson will get a very long leash even if he keeps struggling to hit much over .200 (even if he's not going to hit much more than .220 this season), Cespedes is obviously only missing time if he's hurt, and the Mets are clearly going to try to right Conforto even though he's now a .160 hitter over his last 100 ABs.  And there's money invested in De Aza.  So probably status quo through at least the ASB, and it's probably better that way, especially for Nimmo to keep getting ABs.   

Harvey averaged 95+ again, per PFX; first time he's done that in back-to-back starts this year. Prior to these last two games, he averaged 95 or better in just three starts out of ten.

Edited by nmigliore

33 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Harvey averaged 95+ again, per PFX; first time he's done that in back-to-back starts this year. Prior to these last two games, he averaged 95 or better in just three starts out of ten.

Harvey's awful start to this season is still embedded in my brain, but at least now it's a couple of good ones in a row and not one isolated start, or Harvey benefitting from some luck (like he did in San Diego). 

-------------------------

22-year-old SS Gavin Cecchini (1st-round pick in 2012 who doesn't turn 23 until 12/22) has been a .316 hitter in AA and AAA combined since moving up from the lower minors...good OB%s too, and he doesn't strike out much.  It's not all roses with him:  for one, he's had high BABIPs in both AA (.348) and AAA (.378 going into last night's game).  He's also made 79 errors in 340 minor-league games (where he was in the field...he's played 382 minor-league games overall), and he doesn't hit with much power (he put up a .440 SLG last season in AA, but is only at .397 so far in the PCL).  Not sure where he'd fit in here, or if his future in the majors will be as a SS (though the Mets haven't tried to shift him).  Cabrera signed through next season, and the fair-haired boy within the organization seems to continue to be Amed Rosario (his offensive numbers have been extremely ordinary lately...since May 10 (26 GP), he's slashing .255/.315/.326 in 108 plate appearances, which unfortunately is about what his A+ numbers were last season). 

Lagares with a partial ligament tear...but no DL yet as they will see how he feels when the swelling goes down. Supposedly this is something that can be played through though I wouldnt count on this strategy being all that wise. Not sure we'll see much more of Lagares this season once it's revealed the injury is too great to play through.

DL him, bring up Nimmo. 4-6 weeks and let Lagares heal. Dont let him go out and try to play with this.

Edited by '7'

Apparently there'll be a doubleheader tomorrow.

re: Lagares it reminds me of last year when supposedly he had the bad wrist that was going to need TJS and played through it.  That probably got overstated but it didn't help his dissapointing year.  I just don't see how you can swing a bat at all with a bad thumb.  What's he going to do, be a glorified pinch-runner and defensive replacement?

Nimmo is likely better off getting consistent ABs in AAA than coming up here and not getting much playing time.  Might as well see if you can get De Aza going.  Only way Nimmo should come up would be if one of the starting outfielders were to go down...or if Conforto turns in a June like May.  We know that guys get VERY long leashes here (just ask Ike Davis), but you can only get so little from the corner outfield positions for so long (when Cespedes is playing center).  If Conforto continues to struggle, AND Lagares can't really swing a bat or isn't playing well, AND De Aza never gets it going...then you give Nimmo a shot.

Fulmer with 6 more scoreless innings (22 straight) and is now 6-1 with a 2.83 ERA.  Regardless of what happens from here on out, guy is in a hell of a groove.  

On 6/6/2016 at 7:38 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Anyway, not saying that the Mets can't win tonight's game, because Matz is certainly capable of a shutdown outing, but is it going to shock anyone if Niese pitches 6-7 innings of 3-4 hit shutout ball, making it look a bit too easy, with Matz either taking an undeserved loss or getting a no-decision?  It's just going to be aggravating to see a strictly "OK" pitcher like Niese have his way with his old ballclub tonight. 

Yeah this doesn't surprise me either :rant:

What a predictable bunch of c**nts.  It's so easy to hate this team sometimes.

And I'm getting sick of Curtis Granderson in a hurry.  Heaven forbid he could've gotten Matz home after he was on third.  

fvck fvck fvck.

Of fvcking course.  Seven innings of four-hit ball from Niese.  Great job a$$holes.  

Another big HR there but Curtis Granderobdeer. 10th. Nice job. 10 hr's and seemingly 11 rbi's

I guarantee he will have a year before his retirement when he hits like .180 with 20 hr's and 22rbi's He'll do it.

The Nats have renewed vigor this year, and they take the Mets seriously too. And yea Dusty breaks his pitchers down but...we cant let them beat us to the punch for a bat.

I realize most of our guys will probably be back, but what does it matter if we're 8 out by then?

Time to get crafty and resourceful Sandy. No more thumb twiddling. 

Our pitching is very good. We cannot let this offense drag them down

Catcher, 3b. Get on it. Yunel Escobar...we need to be on that and fast

Loney was a good interim move but, it will take more. 

Edited by '7'

At this point I'm more worried about actually making the Wild Card game :P

People can knock Wright, TDA and Duda all they want but they're big losses offensively with this team as constructed.  And Granderson's either aged overnight or is hiding an injury.  That's probably a bigger factor than even any of the other three guys.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At this point I'm more worried about actually making the Wild Card game :P

People can knock Wright, TDA and Duda all they want but they're big losses offensively with this team as constructed.  And Granderson's either aged overnight or is hiding an injury.  That's probably a bigger factor than even any of the other three guys.

Sandy knew that Wright and TDA could very well miss significant time.  This is a scenario he needed to be prepared for.  

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sandy knew that Wright and TDA could very well miss significant time.  This is a scenario he needed to be prepared for.  

Well you could argue noodle bat deserved one more chance behind the plate.  I agree Flores wasn't enough of an insurance policy for Wright though.  If anything he should just have been a sub middle infielder this season like Lagares being a sub outfielder.  I don't know what backup 3B option was out there that was better though, could have been a big reason why they were so high on Zobrist, they figured he could go there and then they'd just play Flores or Dilson at 2B if it came to it but Zobrist wanted to stay at one position.

In theory they SHOULD still be pounding righthanded pitching with Grandy/Conforto/Cespedes (reverse splits)/Walker but they've pretty much all gone in the tank at once and against lefties fuggedaboutit.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was OK with Plaw getting another shot, but now Sandy has to start planning for a future without either one being the main man behind the plate...TDA just isn't that good (though I think he's a pretty good bat) and can't stay on the field, and Plaw just isn't much of a hitter.  

I don't see anything changing for now...I think the Mets will stick with what they've got and hope for the best...at least through the ASB.  This is going to be a maddening month.