2018 JETS

Beezer34

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They're treating Darnold as if he's a MLB starting pitcher at this point :P

It is total babying. Though the more I think of it I wouldn't want him playing much behind that line, under this staff. But McCown has looked good and is still upright so that's a plus.

Plus maybe they secretly want McCown to get a win to end his career with before they bench him since his season last year ended so horrifically and they had the hideous game against Buffalo when he got in this year.

I just hope they don't go nuts and win this game, and also beat the Packers and the Bills - that might be enough to quell the Bowles firing talk <shudder>.  Honestly I'm more paranoid they'll do just enough to give them an excuse to keep Bowles than I am over actually losing draft position.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know Boger decided to let the Titans win. That was reprehensible job ignoring the Titans holding and CALL EVERY TICKY TACK GARBAGE PENALTY AGAINST THE JETS

But Bowles is a disgrace to humanity to lose this game. He MUST BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY. 

Todd Bowles :lol:

I mean, god just put this team out of its misery now and euthanize the coach.  The Pack already future endeavored Mike McCarthy after they killed off a million suicide pools by losing to the Cardinals at home, but we gotta ride it out with Todd :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

He is one one of the most befuddled, confused, incapable, overwhelmed, and helpless coaches I have ever seen. He is not fit to be on any staff in any capacity. He is stupid beyond belief. There is no way he is the head coach tomorrow. He is gone and he will never again stand on any sideline. What a incomprehensible disaster. Why was McCown even in the game? Darnold was healthy!

Edited by '7'

13 hours ago, '7' said:

He is one one of the most befuddled, confused, incapable, overwhelmed, and helpless coaches I have ever seen. He is not fit to be on any staff in any capacity. He is stupid beyond belief. There is no way he is the head coach tomorrow. He is gone and he will never again stand on any sideline. What a incomprehensible disaster. Why was McCown even in the game? Darnold was healthy!

He really reminds me of Art Howe...not the Billy Beane-fueled Moneyball movie version of Art Howe (a pure work of fiction if there ever was one...that movie was a real farce).  Any Met fan knows that Art Howe was NOTHING like the way he was portrayed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. 

But he's so similar to Bowles it's scary.  Super-nice, probably to a fault, as far as his profession goes...what exactly does it take for him to get angry?  And yeah, everything else you listed.  Every interview I ever heard on the WFAN with Howe was pure torture...don't know if you remember, but his favorite word was "scufflin'"...the Mets were losing a lot, but Art would always say how much the Mets were trying and "scufflin'".  He was just brutal.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:17 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He really reminds me of Art Howe...not the Billy Beane-fueled Moneyball movie version of Art Howe (a pure work of fiction if there ever was one...that movie was a real farce).  Any Met fan knows that Art Howe was NOTHING like the way he was portrayed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. 

But he's so similar to Bowles it's scary.  Super-nice, probably to a fault, as far as his profession goes...what exactly does it take for him to get angry?  And yeah, everything else you listed.  Every interview I ever heard on the WFAN with Howe was pure torture...don't know if you remember, but his favorite word was "scufflin'"...the Mets were losing a lot, but Art would always say how much the Mets were trying and "scufflin'".  He was just brutal.

Philip Seymour Hoffman would've made a great Buck Showalter in film. He looked nothing like Art Howe

Mehta: Inside look at Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles’ eroding relationship

Here’s the unvarnished truth about Maccagnan and Bowles’ relationship: They do not share the same vision or views on players regardless of what each has said publicly through the years. Sources said that both have been professional towards each other, but they don’t think that either of them truly respects the other’s ability to identify talent and have a plan for success.

Neither technically reports to the other. Each has a direct line to ownership. It’s an inherently flawed structure that has reared its ugly head on many occasions in the past few years.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-maccagnan-bowles-jets-relationship-mehta-20181206-story.html

fwiw the Jets power structure isn't unique. This arranged marriage didn't work for us because Bowles is a dope. But other ownership groups on other teams have unique arrangements too. Jerry Jones is owner and GM in Dallas. I think Brown runs everything in Cinci. Steelers have the exact same setup as the Jets. Giants have the Mara's very heavily involved. As in Jeff Wilpon level from what I've heard. But despite it being a disaster now it's led to some recent memory Super Bowls

This is not so much about if power was structured correctly. One of the parties here is grossly incompetent. Mac had no say in the HC and I'm certain a better coach would be getting more out of Macs players than the chronic underachievement we see here

Edited by '7'

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mehta: Inside look at Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles’ eroding relationship

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-maccagnan-bowles-jets-relationship-mehta-20181206-story.html

fwiw the Jets power structure isn't unique. This arranged marriage didn't work for us because Bowles is a dope. But other ownership groups on other teams have unique arrangements too. Jerry Jones is owner and GM in Dallas. I think Brown runs everything in Cinci. Steelers have the exact same setup as the Jets. Giants have the Mara's very heavily involved. As in Jeff Wilpon level from what I've heard. But despite it being a disaster now it's led to some recent memory Super Bowls

This is not so much about if power was structured correctly. One of the parties here is grossly incompetent. Mac had no say in the HC and I'm certain a better coach would be getting more out of Macs players than the chronic underachievement we see here

I guess sometimes it goes bad as with Harbaugh and whoever the GM was there.  But it proves your point that success is possible when the coach and GM hate each other if both of them know what they're doing.

21 minutes ago, '7' said:

Philip Seymour Hoffman would've made a great Buck Showalter in film. He looked nothing like Art Howe

Yeah definitely much closer to Showalter physically.  That portrayal was about Billy Beane (who never liked or respected Howe) wanting to make himself look like a genius (he heavily consulted during the movie) and make Howe look like a complete stuck-in-the-mud idiot.

Howe was definitely kind of a dope, but Hoffman's portrayal of him was just insanely inaccurate.  Beane just wanted to make him look as bad as he possibly could, even to the point of coming up with what was basically a new (and fake) character. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I guess sometimes it goes bad as with Harbaugh and whoever the GM was there.  But it proves your point that success is possible when the coach and GM hate each other if both of them know what they're doing.

Of course. And in all walks of life not just football. Sometimes you see two clashing personalities forced together where you know will have plenty of friction down the line. There are schools of though that you want the conflict and the controversy because it keeps people on there toes, keeps the passion going and wards off apathy and complacency.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah definitely much closer to Showalter physically.  That portrayal was about Billy Beane (who never liked or respected Howe) wanting to make himself look like a genius (he heavily consulted during the movie) and make Howe look like a complete stuck-in-the-mud idiot.

Howe was definitely kind of a dope, but Hoffman's portrayal of him was just insanely inaccurate.  Beane just wanted to make him look as bad as he possibly could, even to the point of coming up with what was basically a new (and fake) character. 

Howe was astonishingly uninspiring and milquetoast. And as an in game manager he was below average, but I'd still probably put him above Mattingly and Mickey Callaway. And New York was absolutely the last place Art Howe should've ever managed. It ate him alive. At the end of his 2nd and final tough year you basically saw a guy who looked like he had the baseball version of the 1000 yard stare

Just now, '7' said:

Howe was astonishingly uninspiring and milquetoast. And as an in game manager he was below average, but I'd still probably put him above Mattingly and Mickey Callaway. And New York was absolutely the last place Art Howe should've ever managed. It ate him alive. At the end of his 2nd and final tough year you basically saw a guy who looked like he had the baseball version of the 1000 yard stare

Yeah this was so true...I think there were certain places he could've managed that would have exposed him a lot less.  He was just an awful fit for this market, and yeah, it ate him alive indeed.  So course Fred Wilpon loved him immediately and hired him mid-interview. 

With baseball managers, we're clearly headed to the point where they do whatever the computer tells them to do, if we're not already there.  And at least in baseball, it kind of makes sense to do things that way.  Being a football head coach is a whole different animal.

And Lee was having a pretty decent year. But the discipline issues never end under Bowles. The players have no respect or fear of him. They don't believe in him. He has not built any sort of positive culture here where people are held accountable

Edited by '7'

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol only the Jets could screw up with Darnold this bad.  Don't even let him throw the ball on the first series then he's gotta try to run a broken play on third down and re-injures his foot.

And he comes back into the game. A meaningless game where he could get injured again. 

But this is the result of retaining Bowles all season. It's a total lack of competence and foresight all throughout the staff. They're not prepared. And when you're not prepared broken plays happen, and a QB who you don't want running around is forced to run...and he gets hurt

2 hours ago, '7' said:

And he comes back into the game. A meaningless game where he could get injured again. 

But this is the result of retaining Bowles all season. It's a total lack of competence and foresight all throughout the staff. They're not prepared. And when you're not prepared broken plays happen, and a QB who you don't want running around is forced to run...and he gets hurt

Well I am glad they got him this game where he could lead the game-winning drive, that helps especially since it's probably the last win the Jets get this year unless the Packers don't show up at the Meadowlands.

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well I am glad they got him this game where he could lead the game-winning drive, that helps especially since it's probably the last win the Jets get this year unless the Packers don't show up at the Meadowlands.

Yea overall I feel pretty good about Darnold coming through. Overall though all I needed to see was that 3rd down play for the TD to Anderson. When you see a guy make a play that freakishly good you know he's going to be a player in this league. The win is no longer important to me since there is nothing to really build on and this staff is all getting the ax except perhaps the special teams coach.

Darnold has showed really great resiliency this year and he bounced back every time

On 12/9/2018 at 4:33 PM, '7' said:

Yea overall I feel pretty good about Darnold coming through.

I'm very encouraged with what I've seen thus-far from Darnold. He's 4-6 for the season (should be 5-5.... fvcking Browns) on a team completely void of talent. Am I glad he's got 15 interceptions heading into his 11th start?  --absolutely not. But it's teachable to train a kid this young to be more responsible with ball security.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, Beezer34 said:

I'm very encouraged with what I've seen thus-far from Darnold. He's 4-6 for the season (should be 5-5.... fvcking Browns) on a team completely void of talent. Am I glad he's got 15 interceptions heading into his 11th start?  --absolutely not. But it's teachable to train a kid this young to be more responsible with ball security.

Well the big issue was the fumbling and that has not been a problem at all this year. The interceptions...I sort of expected that. He's always been a bit of a risk taker and we don't have the weapons so he has to force it in there from time to time which leads to some interceptions. I expect them to come down over time but he may always be a guy around double digits in picks. Thing is though he is going to be a massive playmaker as well. You saw it with that 40+ yard scramble on a 3rd down and a pinpoint throw to Anderson. I could live with some more INT's from him because he's going to be making some insane plays. He showed that ability in college as well