New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

I have never seen that in my life, a bat swing turn into a separated shoulder which in turn becomes a tear. Just horrible. Hope he's ready and 100% for 2018 but who knows at this point. We really need to prepare for the worst case scenario with Conforto and possibly go out and sign or trade for another outfielder now (possibly Bruce)

How will this effect Conforto in the future? Will his power be sapped? Who knows...

42 minutes ago, '7' said:

I have never seen that in my life, a bat swing turn into a separated shoulder which in turn becomes a tear. Just horrible. Hope he's ready and 100% for 2018 but who knows at this point. We really need to prepare for the worst case scenario with Conforto and possibly go out and sign or trade for another outfielder now (possibly Bruce)

How will this effect Conforto in the future? Will his power be sapped? Who knows...

What's amazing is that the Mets, snake-bit as they are this season, are actually 6th in man-games lost...the team that's #1 is, believe it or not, the Dodgers (per Mike Vaccaro of the NYP). 

One thing about Conforto:  his big start really puffed up his season numbers...since 5/25 (68 GP, 61 starts) he's slashed .245/.355/.469, with a lot of Ks (75)...in some ways, he was actually pretty Duda-like over this sample.  Not saying losing him doesn't suck and won't hurt...more that he may not be as productive overall in future seasons as he was this year.  He may never put up a .939 OPS in any given season ever again. 

Hahahahahahaha of course Fat Cat (el Gato Gordo) gets hurt while running.  P*ssy.

FIRE THIS fvckING TRAINING STAFF SANDY. 

They need to put deGrom in witness protection like right now.  Of course they can't actually afford to since they don't have enough healthy pitchers to take a turn in the rotation.  Supposedly one of the options if Lugo can't come back on Sunday is MARCUS MOLINA - who's had all of ten career starts - in AA.

Yeah, kinda feels like deGrom's next. 

Gotta come up with that one Dom.  Jacob's really gotten some sh!t defense...even sh!ttier than usual.

Read somewhere that it could be 6-12 months of rehab for Conforto if it's surgery. Certainly not promising. This could be a big big injury. And we need to come to a decision about it and soon. No aborted rehabs and timetable setbacks. Surgery next week and have him start healing. We also need to forget about any contribution from him in 2018. Not that he can't come back but we have to approach Conforto's 2018 pretty much as if he's Wright. That's he's going to play 0 games.

If this isn't the end of the line for this training staff then I don't know what is really. The frequency and severity and recurrence of these injuries is something no other team in baseball deals with. Whatever we're doing...STOP IT. Flush this staff out. Get away from the NY Hospital for Special Surgery. Just start anew and go from there.

This literally is 2009 once again. I never thought it would happen this year but lo and behold...it's 2009 

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hahahahahahaha of course Fat Cat (el Gato Gordo) gets hurt while running.  P*ssy.

FIRE THIS fvckING TRAINING STAFF SANDY. 

What's this hamstring injury #5 for him this year? 6? How does this keep happening and how have they not figured it out yet? 

Or maybe Cespedes is just simply incapable of running period?

12 hours ago, '7' said:

What's this hamstring injury #5 for him this year? 6? How does this keep happening and how have they not figured it out yet? 

Or maybe Cespedes is just simply incapable of running period?

Someone needs to tell these guys that building up a lot of impressive-looking (but tight and useless in this line of work) muscle is really fvcking stupid.  Hopefully Noah and El Gato Gordo and the rest understand this now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Interesting numbers for Flores...he played 103 games last season and 103 this season, and his numbers are either identical or almost identical across the board.  Adds up to a .788 OPS (110 OPS+) in 2016 and .803 OPS (107 OPS+) in 2017.  Basically, if this is where he's plateauing, he's a decent hitter with flaws who doesn't really have a position.  Guess I'm just curious if the Mets have a plan for him...especially with his Arb 2 and Arb 3 years coming (he's a UFA after the 2019 season).

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Welcome back Jeurys...yikes.

That was painful to watch, though I suppose a necessary first step in getting back in the game. I am kind of impressed he's even on the mound before September. The initial injury was scary. Life threatening even. We're going to have to endure some rough outings from him. Hopefully in 2 weeks or so he starts to show flashes of his old self.

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Interesting numbers for Flores...he played 103 games last season and 103 this season, and his numbers are either identical or almost identical across the board.  Adds up to a .788 OPS (110 OPS+) in 2016 and .803 OPS (107 OPS+) in 2017.  Basically, if this is where he's plateauing, he's a decent hitter with flaws who doesn't really have a position.  Guess I'm just curious if the Mets have a plan for him...especially with his Arb 2 and Arb 3 years coming (he's a UFA after the 2019 season).

Well, he is only 26 (just turned) so maybe there is a little room for improvement regarding his bat, but probably not much. I initially hoped that he would round out to a .330 obp guy but I doubt that ever happens. The plate discipline isn't there and he's still too prone to go up the ladder and K on impossible pitches.

And he'll never have a position unfortunately. He'll be a butcher everywhere...just less of a butcher in certain places compared to others.

Overall, putting his offense and defense together, I think he's just a sightly above average baseball player. And one that we have to hold on to for now with how decimated and empty the offense is shaping up to be in 2018.

Re:  Flores...you wonder if Sandy (if he's still here) tries to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal that represents a nice raise for Flores (say for $4-5 million a year).  That's what I'm curious about...not an exciting or sexy signing, and I would REALLY like to see this franchise start recognizing the importance of fielding, but bringing back Flores on a 3-4 year $12-$20 million deal would make some sense.

His BA sits at .275 and his SLG% is now .494.  He's actually pretty decent (for this era, anyway) at not striking out an insane amount.  We know he's not going to be even an average glove no matter where the Mets stick him, and I still find him hard to trust over the long term, but more and more it's hard to argue against bringing him back at what figures to be not-crazy dollars...especially with the upper levels of the farm looking pretty barren at the moment. 

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Wright has ended his rehab with continuing shoulder pain

This has to be it for him.

Enough David.

You gave it the ol' college try, and I get why.  Everyone respects you to the hilt for your spirit.  But the Mets aren't smart enough to realize that you're likely finished...they will continue to act as though you might actually become a real player for them again until YOU call it quits.  Just stop already.  You were a maddening and incredibly unclutch player in your later years, but from 2005-08, you were often beastly.  Even with your later-career warts, you still put up overall numbers many players would kill to have.  Call it a career and walk away.  No shame in that.

Wow...it's one thing for deGrom to show a little frustration with his fielders (and then apologize), but for Chris "I'm only here because a whole sh!tload of pitchers got hurt" Flexen to pull that sh!t (even with an apology)...I obviously despise Reyes, but that's not the point.  Who the fvck is Flexen (who finally saw his luck run out rather abruptly) that he thinks that he can act like that?  Sure, guys can lose check of their emotions, but dude...you have a fvcking 1.99 WHIP, and have gotten a hell of a lot of good fortune to this point to be even as meh as you've been.  41 hits and 24 BB allowed in 32.2 IP...doesn't get much more rotten than that...Reyes misplaying one fly ball into a double is the friggin' LEAST of your problems. 

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow...it's one thing for deGrom to show a little frustration with his fielders (and then apologize), but for Chris "I'm only here because a whole sh!tload of pitchers got hurt" Flexen to pull that sh!t (even with an apology)...I obviously despise Reyes, but that's not the point.  Who the fvck is Flexen (who finally saw his luck run out rather abruptly) that he thinks that he can act like that?  Sure, guys can lose check of their emotions, but dude...you have a fvcking 1.99 WHIP, and have gotten a hell of a lot of good fortune to this point to be even as meh as you've been.  41 hits and 24 BB allowed in 32.2 IP...doesn't get much more rotten than that...Reyes misplaying one fly ball into a double is the friggin' LEAST of your problems. 

Welp that's what happens when there's zero accountability for anyone.  Even some snotnosed kid from AA can be a clown without any reprecussions.  Whatever we may think of him as a player David at least cared enough to try to hold guys accountable (at least more than management that's supposed to be the adult in the room) like that whole Thor snack thing in ST or calling out Harvey a couple times, including after he missed the playoff workout.

On the bright side I hesitate to go down the Montero rabbit hole again but maybe just maybe they were right this time?  Yeah he had a good stretch earlier then regressed but it almost seems like a light came on after the Yankee Stadium start.

Re:  Wright, now that you said it Has, you're 100% dead-on...I don't necessarily think that he was an ideal leader, but he TRIED his absolute best to be one.  No one has come close to trying to fill that void, and more and more we're really seeing how much it's hurting the team.  He would taken Flexen aside and given him a lot of sh!t for what he pulled...I definitely believe that.

Montero's start against Arizona was a bit disappointing after a good beginning, but yeah, overall his last four starts have been strong (I'll give him a pass on his relief outing).  I just need to see a lot more of it...his overall season numbers are still not very good...but this is the first real legit "Could be the start of something" stretch that we've ever seen from him in the majors.  Four straight mostly good starts is a big step for Rafael.

His numbers in those four:  25.2 IP, 21 H, 6 ER, 11 BB, 24 K, 1.25 WHIP, 2.10 ERA  (the bullpen-session-in-a-game relief appearance isn't included here)

Going through his previous game logs with the Mets, it goes without saying that this is his best small sample performance in the majors, by a significant margin.  It's enough that you just let him keep his spot through the end of September (not like the Mets have anything to lose), and see how much he can build on it.  At any rate, he should wind up with 115-120 IP with the Mets, which was pretty hard to forecast coming into this season.  How bad have things gone for the Mets' pitching staff in 2017?  Montero is one-third of an inning away from being tied for SECOND on the staff in IP.  Yes, MONTERO.   

Pretty solid pickup for the Astros in Verlander.  He's been hot lately:  2.31 ERA with a WHIP below 1.00 in his last 11 starts (2 ER allowed or less in 9 of those starts), and the opponent slash is .190/.247/.351.  He's gotten some good fortune...opponents only have a .229 BABIP over that stretch, and he's also given up 11 HR.  Could start going the other way, and there's a big difference between pitching in Comerica (he's benefitted from that park through the years, and especially this season...2.76 ERA at home, 4.78 on the road) and pitching in Minute Maid (he's been fine there, but only has made 6 starts and thrown 37 IP).   

But as far as a last minute acquisition goes, this is pretty damned good...he'll be expensive as hell ($28 million guaranteed over each of the next two seasons), but he was plenty good last year, and this stretch shows that he should still have extended strong runs in him in the next couple of years. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty solid pickup for the Astros in Verlander.  He's been hot lately:  2.31 ERA with a WHIP below 1.00 in his last 11 starts (2 ER allowed or less in 9 of those starts), and the opponent slash is .190/.247/.351.  He's gotten some good fortune...opponents only have a .229 BABIP over that stretch, and he's also given up 11 HR.  Could start going the other way, and there's a big difference between pitching in Comerica (he's benefitted from that park through the years, and especially this season...2.76 ERA at home, 4.78 on the road) and pitching in Minute Maid (he's been fine there, but only has made 6 starts and thrown 37 IP).   

But as far as a last minute acquisition goes, this is pretty damned good...he'll be expensive as hell ($28 guaranteed over the next two seasons), but he was plenty good last year, and this stretch shows that he should still have extended strong runs in him in the next couple of years. 

Looks like the Tigers are picking up some of his salary.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Looks like the Tigers are picking up some of his salary.

Yeah, looks like $8 million per season according to what I'm seeing.  $40 million is still a lot of coin to pick up for the Astros (that's an impressive "all in" kind of commitment).  Tigers apparently had to do that to get better prospects (not uncommon).