New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

Dan Worthless is also out.

Someone really needs to take Thor down a peg or two...sorry dude, you don't get to pick the pitching coach, or decide how long he sticks around (see the article for his comments):

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/03/dan-warthen-ray-ramirez-mets-pitching-coach-trainer-fired

Apparently Worthless has been offered another job with the organization (some think it's due to guys like deGrom and Thor going to bat for him).  Unfortunately it makes it easy to keep thinking:

1) Guys will forever be allowed to hang around under Sandy's watch.

2) The inmates are indeed running the asylum.

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Some excellent news that just came down the pike

Was kind of silly having our affiliate in Vegas. Also good to see we actually have the $. But it was always difficult to get a precise read on how guys were doing down there with the thin air and inflated run totals and such.

First good news that's Met-related in god knows how long.  FINALLY, no more trying to make sense of crazy PCL numbers. 

The nightmare scenario of a Yankees-Nationals WS is drawing near. Though I don't think it will be quite as bad as Phillies-Yankees. I really don't have as much hatred for the Nationals as I did the old Phillies and Braves before then. And my dislike of the Yankees has faded to indiference (plus the Devils look mega exciting and the Jets still have at worst 4 weeks of meaningful football left)

I don't dislike the Yankees these days (especially with Cashman being an honest to goodness Devil fan lol) as much as I do the spoiled brat Yankee fans.  Say what you want about Joe Girardi and what he did in Game 2 but that booing he got before Game 3 was ridiculous.  Sure he was gonna get some blowback for fubar'ing Game 2 but come on, that was Chipper Jones/Chase Utley Met fan type vicious booing.  Girardi's never had a losing season as a manager, and actually won a WS unlike our recent managers.  Part of me was glad he got to - silently - tell those clowns to eat it.

I don't even dislike the Nationals as much as I should although I do like the schadenfreude of watching them lose Game 5 after Game 5 at home.

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

God if I was Maddon, I wouldn't have even pitched to Harper. fvck it, let the run walk in. They got away with one. 

Yes indeed. Maddon is severely overrated. I've never seen a more run of the mill manager get pegged with guru status

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yes indeed. Maddon is severely overrated. I've never seen a more run of the mill manager get pegged with guru status

Part of me wants the Cubs to go splat just because I can't stand Joe Maddon and his cult of personality.  But the other part of me fears the Nats being an unstoppable force if they ever do get over the first round hump.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Good god, when did this game start, 8:10?  Now we're four hours later and still in the freaking bottom of the 8th inning.  The shorter starters' outings get the more I roll my eyes at baseball.

One of those "and you wonder why kids nowadays don't get into this" examples

But fact is they'll never institute any sort of rule regarding how many pitching changes you can make, and any speed up the game rules will become loosely enforced until it's no longer enforced at all, and lots of leeway will be granted. You're going to have long walks to the mound, step offs, throws to first...biding time always for someone else to get warm in the pen. Batters stepping out. It's just what the game is.

Part of me wants the Cubs to go splat just because I can't stand Joe Maddon and his cult of personality.  But the other part of me fears the Nats being an unstoppable force if they ever do get over the first round hump.

This is such an empty the tank game for them though. I would actually be shocked if they beat LA. Either team really. 

Edited by '7'

lol and the backup catcher gets his butt picked off first base with Turner up and the tying run in scoring position.  Another LOLNats moment.

It's incredible though how many of these they've swallowed today and are STILL right there. From the Scherzer implosion, blowing a 4-1 lead, Wieters idiocy multiple times, Werth Cesped-ing a ball in LF leading to a run, the DP just now, and this. But they are still right there because the Cubs bullpen is an absolute sh!tshow. It's like every guy is freaking Robles.

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol and the backup catcher gets his butt picked off first base with Turner up and the tying run in scoring position.  Another LOLNats moment.

I don't understand how they do this every year. I also don't understand how they have the energy to show up to Spring Training every year. How do these guys have enough left in the tank emotionally to compete in a 162 game season? I feel like I'm a persistent enough person if I have to be, but how does anyone associated with that franchise, from the fans to the players, have what it takes to put that hat back on every April and invest anything in that team. It exhausts me thinking about it. 

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't understand how they do this every year. I also don't understand how they have the energy to show up to Spring Training every year. How do these guys have enough left in the tank emotionally to compete in a 162 game season? I feel like I'm a persistent enough person if I have to be, but how does anyone associated with that franchise, from the fans to the players, have what it takes to put that hat back on every April and invest anything in that team. It exhausts me thinking about it. 

Well it helps they're usually in a terrible division that makes the AFC East blush.  The one time they were seriously challenged in 2005 they folded like a cheap suit.

They got nobody else left in the cupboard unless they bring Lee Arthur Smith out of retirement :P

For all of Kershaw's ills in the postseason Maddon doesn't have that savior when he overextends his closer the way Roberts did last year with Jansen's 50-pitch outing.  He already used his Kershaw and Max imploded.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They got nobody else left in the cupboard unless they bring Lee Arthur Smith out of retirement :P

For all of Kershaw's ills in the postseason Maddon doesn't have that savior when he overextends his closer the way Roberts did last year with Jansen's 50-pitch outing.  He already used his Kershaw and Max imploded.

I'd think you have to go to starters then. All hands on deck. 

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'd think you have to go to starters then. All hands on deck. 

He used Lester yesterday and Quintana today out of the pen and started Arrieta/Hendricks, what starters does he have left?

Looks like Maddon's again going to fall out of a tree and land on his feet though, unless Harper goes yard.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He used Lester yesterday and Quintana today, what starters?

Looks like Maddon's again going to fall out of a tree and land on his feet though, unless Harper goes yard.

You're right. Totally forgot Quintana pitched today. Every Cubs pitcher walked a desperate tightrope that they all blend together in my mind to form what essentially is 9 innings of watching Robles/Benitez on a bad day.

:rofl:LOLNATS lives again

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

You're right. Totally forgot Quintana pitched today. Every Cubs pitcher walked a desperate tightrope that they all blend together in my mind to form what essentially is 9 innings of watching Robles/Benitez on a bad day.

Using Lester yesterday with a 2-1 lead in the series was worse.  Just like Hinch using Verlander up 2-1 reeked of panic but he got away with it too.

Edited by NJDevs4978