NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

Honestly if you could somehow combine roto and head-to-head (say have roto be in effect till March to determine standings then a head-to-head playoffs for the final few weeks) that could be the optimal solution in most seasons.  While I think for an entire season head-to-head is luck-based during the byes, having it only during the last few weeks eliminates that concern and would be a bit of a carrot to finishing fourth in a four-team playoffs.  Plus head to head over a full season would eliminate game limits and favor making obsessive daily moves, or restrict moves to being every few days. 

Either way, that's a pipedream, I don't think fantasy works that way where you can do both.  Plus it would affect game limits a bit since you can't really have 82-game limits per position if you're not playing 82 before the playoffs.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

I mean I don't think it's necessary to completely change the entire thing, I'm a relatively new guy here so I don't mean to rock the boat.  I'm cool with continuing with what we've been doing going forward - I agree the head-to-head stuff doesn't make sense with the NHL.  Loved the addition of trading draft picks and adding keepers.

But maybe we implement something where draft order can be determined by where teams finished the year prior?  Like the winner picks where he wants to draft (as we've been doing), but instead of randomizing the rest we let 2nd place pick where he wants to draft from the remaining spots, 3rd then picks, etc.

It doesn't completely accomplish keeping people into it, as I don't really think there's much of a difference drafting in the middle spots of the draft.  But it does add a little incentive for a middle of the pack to team this year to try and squeak into the top-5 to try and snag a better draft position for next season.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I do think having everyone pick their draft slots is a viable change over randomizing it, let's have an informal vote. For next season do we:

-Only let the league winner pick their draft spot and have everything else randomized the way it’s been?

or

-Do we let every team pick their draft spot in order of standings? i.e. league winner gets first pick of spot, second place team gets second pick of spot and so on (only leaving the last place team stuck with what’s left)?

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

I have no problem with the draft order thing, but in all honesty I'm not sure its going to stop me from making trades, i'll be honest I was not planning doing this, my team was holding on for awhile, I thought I had made some good moves, but once my goalies tanked and I fell 30 pts back I just did not see a way to get back into the race. 

4 hours ago, redruM said:

I have no problem with the draft order thing, but in all honesty I'm not sure its going to stop me from making trades, i'll be honest I was not planning doing this, my team was holding on for awhile, I thought I had made some good moves, but once my goalies tanked and I fell 30 pts back I just did not see a way to get back into the race. 

Yea, I don’t think it would prevent trades...  but at the same time it gives incentive to finish 8th instead of 14th...  whereas now there is no difference.  

Right now, If you’re 8th and realistically won’t improve, you might as well trade off literally anyone of value for a minimal draft pick swap.

My thought... if you really want to change this, eliminate draft pick trades till the offseason, now in season trades will focus on keepers  that can be traded in the offseason for picks..

I'm guessing most would be against this, but IMHO, if I'm not picking in the top 5 then it really does not matter where I pick

Disallowing draft pick trades till the offseason would severely cut down on activity and interest from the teams out of it during the season. There really wouldn’t be THAT many keeper only trades, every team keeps three and usually even the worst teams have a couple of decent keeper worthy players. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, redruM said:

man seems like the trade market is dead, maybe we will get some movement after the NHL trade deadline...

It might be too late for the teams still in the second grouping to make a move by then, people better get their moves in ASAP.

I’m doing what I can to get into that first tier without completely screwing up next year.

Seguin and Toews should help raise my face off totals while popping in some goals.   I’m not hurting on assists/points.      Ideally I need more from Murray... but that’s why he was traded to me.   

I lose Keller...  who was likely my third keeper after Draisaitle and Aho.     But I’m still sold on Horvat, and Duchene is still a dark horse too.  There were so many goalie keepers, I might be better served keeping Murray since his replacement cost would likely be a 4th.

Klefbom will be released back after regressing. And while Ekblad is scoring some goals, his point total is disappointing still.   I was hoping he’d reach 50 this year.

FWIW if nobody has an issue with it, I think we’ll start having everyone pick their draft slot in order of finish this offseason rather than only the league winner (they’ll still get first choice obviously). I just wanted to make something semi official before the trade deadline since movement has been slow to this point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Correct, clarified by removing the word :P

And for more clarity when you're picking your slot, you're doing it in a snake draft.  I.e. if you pick the top slot then you're drafting #28 (last pick of the second round), then first pick of the third round right after and last pick of the fourth round and so forth.  Teams without draft picks in certain rounds - say if you don't have a first rounder - might want to go down in the draft so you can draft toward the top of the second round.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've successfully offloaded my last five rounds of next year's draft, it'll be nice and quick for me at least :lol: 

Not really actively seeking trades at this point since I dealt off my non-keeper players (except Weber, who's still hurt) unless someone wants to give me a pick for Shea Theodore as a keeper option/D option for a contender.  My keeper options at this point are probably Werenski and two TBD forwards (O'Reilly, Connor, Johnson, maybe DeBrincat or whomever), or maybe Raanta makes a late push for one.  I might do a deal to improve one of those slots but if not I'm fine using the rest of the season as an audition for them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sworn Defenders earlier this week in a depth d move welcomed Zdeno Chara and Mike Green (along with an 18th).

Officially giving up on Klefbom in an Oilers down year along with Olli Maata and a 14th.

In more impactful news, Sworn D sends off Thomas Vanek, Boone Jenner, Josh Morrisey and a 7th rounder for a 17, Brayden Schenn, Erik Karlsson and bringing back a team favorite, Jonathan Quick who will be the presumptive starter with Murray remaining as an insurance policy and keeper candidate.

Edited by aylbert

I'm thoroughly disappointed with how my forward group panned out this season.  A lot of my guys underachieved it would seem - outside of my three pretty good keepers I ended up with a whole lot of meh outside of Ovechkin.  Stayed mostly healthy too, damn shame.

Bishop and Andersen are available, by the way.  I'll take late picks for em, if anyone's interested.  Could potentially move Hellebuyck too, but that'll cost a little more since he's keeper eligible. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

Ohh yeah. Between Rask (who's been hot since December), Hellebuyck (who's generally been pretty stellar all year long), Bishop (who's had his ups and downs) and now Andersen I've pretty much had a hot goalie for the entire season.

Rode em all hard :lol:

Edited by Devilsfan118

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Trade deadline for the league is today correct?

Edit: Nevermind, false, 3/8.

Your false is correct.   It’s by design after the NHL trade deadline to allow for trades after players settle into their new teams.