New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was just thinking that...Matz and Harvey are on notice.  Neither one has earned any trust.

Yeah Matz too...I think he should have a longer leash than Harvey cause he's lefty and cause he's sucked for less time than Harvey has but for some reason I think this management's just as enamored with Harvey's 'star power' (and afraid of his ego) as the last management was.  Plus I suppose you can still option Matz out if you have to.

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oh dear, now Plawecki gets hit on the hand with a fastball.  This might be a worst-case scenario for both him and the team, although he's staying in to run the bases at least.

They did a close up of it and it was turning blue. Hopefully it's nothing but you gotta believe x-rays are coming.

In New York of course because we all know there are no x-ray machines in Florida.

Edited by '7'

And now that it swelled up or colored up Nido's PH'ing for Plawecki...oh boy. 

At least they're starting to build up a cushion if they finish this off and get to 10-1.  Like with the Devils (or even the 2016 Mets) sometimes getting a fat early cushion can sustain you through a long dead period.

41 minutes ago, '7' said:

They did a close up of it and it was turning blue. Hopefully it's nothing but you gotta believe x-rays are coming.

In New York of course because we all know there are no x-ray machines in Florida.

BREAKING NEWS: They actually bought an x-ray machine in Florida, or found one

10-1, 6-0 road trip...never could've expected this. 

Garcia has thrown 67, 73, and 77 pitches in three appearances this season...he does have extensive starting experience in the minors, but as is the custom now, most of his starts were likely in the 5 IP-or-so variety, as that's about what he seemed to average per start.  I'm sure I'm way too idealistic, in that I would've loved Garcia to say "I've got more in me, let me stay out there", but that's just not MLB 2018.  These guys shoot for their 5-6 IP (maybe 6+ on occasion) and they're fine with that because, well, that's what they've been taught in the minors.  Always cracks me up that though no evidence points to this approach saving any arms, it's still heavily embraced by baseball as being "right".

Gotta give Zack a lot of credit for last night...he got a shot and made the most of it.  We've seen teases like this from him before, so I need to see a hell of a lot more of that before feeling much optimism, but he's earned another start.  He helped the BP catch its breath too.

I don't kid myself when it comes to 11-game samples, in that we have much to learn about Mickey Callaway...and his initial "I want the players to feel my lovin'" press conference was a bit scary...but it's kind of nice to have someone who not only appears to have a better handle on how to handle a BP (obviously it helps when the guys summoned do their jobs), but isn't a complete moron.  I think as we leave the TC era further and further behind, we'll realize how much of a dope he really was (he never would've lasted as long anywhere else)...as we've discussed many times, his players did seem to like him an awful lot and they did play hard for him most of the time, but he just got in the way constantly.  I get the feeling there's going to be much less of that with Mickey, and that's a great big step forward. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

10-1, 6-0 road trip...never could've expected this. 

Garcia has thrown 67, 73, and 77 pitches in three appearances this season...he does have extensive starting experience in the minors, but as is the custom now, most of his starts were likely in the 5 IP-or-so variety, as that's about what he seemed to average per start.  I'm sure I'm way too idealistic, in that I would've loved Garcia to say "I've got more in me, let me stay out there", but that's just not MLB 2018.  These guys shoot for their 5-6 IP (maybe 6+ on occasion) and they're fine with that because, well, that's what they've been taught in the minors.  Always cracks me up that though no evidence points to this approach saving any arms, it's still heavily embraced by baseball as being "right".

Gotta give Zack a lot of credit for last night...he got a shot and made the most of it.  We've seen teases like this from him before, so I need to see a hell of a lot more of that before feeling much optimism, but he's earned another start.  He helped the BP catch its breath too.

I don't kid myself when it comes to 11-game samples, in that we have much to learn about Mickey Callaway...and his initial "I want the players to feel my lovin'" press conference was a bit scary...but it's kind of nice to have someone who not only appears to have a better handle on how to handle a BP (obviously it helps when the guys summoned do their jobs), but isn't a complete moron.  I think as we leave the TC era further and further behind, we'll realize how much of a dope he really was (he never would've lasted as long anywhere else)...as we've discussed many times, his players did seem to like him an awful lot and they did play hard for him most of the time, but he just got in the way constantly.  I get the feeling there's going to be much less of that with Mickey, and that's a great big step forward. 

It was absolutely impossible to imagine at one time a pitcher being pulled in the middle of a no hitter. Even if it's 1-0, and it appears like he may be losing the zone. I mean up until a few years ago it quite literally never happened. If they kept him out there who knows maybe he gets it done. Maybe the Mets scorch a few and they find gloves, maybe they help him with some quick final innings.

Speaking of teases I think his biggest one also came in Florida few years ago. 9 innings, 3 hit shutout. Really could've had a no hitter that day that's how good his stuff was. But things come unglued very fast with Wheeler when he loses his control. He could throw 100 in 4 quite easily, 10-12 pitch Ab's and just make you tear your hair out. Let's just hope he stays around the strike zone and the walks plummet. 

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

It was absolutely impossible to imagine at one time a pitcher being pulled in the middle of a no hitter. Even if it's 1-0, and it appears like he may be losing the zone. I mean up until a few years ago it quite literally never happened. If they kept him out there who knows maybe he gets it done. Maybe the Mets scorch a few and they find gloves, maybe they help him with some quick final innings.

Speaking of teases I think his biggest one also came in Florida few years ago. 9 innings, 3 hit shutout. Really could've had a no hitter that day that's how good his stuff was. But things come unglued very fast with Wheeler when he loses his control. He could throw 100 in 4 quite easily, 10-12 pitch Ab's and just make you tear your hair out. Let's just hope he stays around the strike zone and the walks plummet. 

Yeah I remember that 3-hitter...think he threw 113 pitches or thereabouts.  Efficient outings are so few and far between for him...he's usually right around 100 in the 5th or 6th inning.  I've always thought of him as the right-handed Al Leiter.  So many times I've seen Zack start off 0-2 to a hitter, then two balls, then a few foul balls, then ball 3, then another foul ball or two...after that, maybe he gets an out, maybe gives up a walk or a hit...but there's been so many extended ABs against him...it just makes you nuts. 

And agree, if I'm Garcia, I try to stay in.  I HAVE A fvckING NO-HIT BID!  Like you allude to, if anything, the fielders give that little bit of extra effort when there's a no-hitter on the line...they all want it as bad as the pitcher does.  It was funny, as soon as I saw that Garcia was done, I had a feeling the Mets were going to find a way to get it done.  In a way the hitters get that "Thank god that guy's out of the game" feeling, and suddenly feel a lot more comfortable at the plate. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least the Nats lost tonight.  Already five in back of the Mets.

Still very early but I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be one of those regular seasons where nothing goes right for the Nats and they just can't get going. Zimmerman is struggling to stay above .100, Murphy hasn't even taken the field yet. Eaton has just hit the DL.

9 hours ago, '7' said:

Still very early but I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be one of those regular seasons where nothing goes right for the Nats and they just can't get going. Zimmerman is struggling to stay above .100, Murphy hasn't even taken the field yet. Eaton has just hit the DL.

To be fair, at 6-7 it's not like the Nats are off to a disastrous start...more that that Mets are off to an insane one.  This week will be a biggie...if the Nats can shave even one game off the Mets' lead by the end of the Mets-Nats series, they're really not in bad shape (and Murph coming back is going to be a big lift for them). 

What they can't do is leave that series 7+ games behind.  I won't write them off by any stretch, but that's digging yourself a pretty deep hole right out of the box.

BTW the attendance for the Mets - Marlins was 20,666...for ALL THREE GAMES COMBINED.  Damn that's rough...

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW the attendance for the Mets - Marlins was 20,666...for ALL THREE GAMES COMBINED.  Damn that's rough...

ha. And that's with major inflationary tactics. There is no way it was that high. That's almost 7,000 people a game.

If I had to guess it looked like about 3,000 a game. I would be surprised if there were even 10,000 people in the building for all three. These crowds were worse than what I used to see in Montreal.

Plawecki broke his hand

They're reporting 2-3 weeks. Would be shocked if he's back in that short a time frame. We're going to have to get by with Nido/Lobaton for a good while.

Edited by '7'

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Plawecki broke his hand

They're reporting 2-3 weeks. Would be shocked if he's back in that short a time frame.

Someone woke up the baseball gods apparently.  Of course they're going to start fvcking with the Mets.  They hate them.

Yeah, 2-3 weeks seems very optimistic.  Guess it's Nido/Lobaton for a while.  No way to sugarcoat it...with the pitcher and Rosario already in the lineup, it could get really ugly 7 through 9 for a while. 

No one's really noticed because the Mets keep winning, but the team BA is plummeting...it's now down to .240 on the season...this is what happens when your GM keeps signing low-BA hitters.  Just gotta hope that they can keep bunching together enough runs...but it feels like a losing streak might be around the corner very soon...one that puts the Mets closer to the mid-80s win pace that seems more realistic. 

Mets apparently have spoken to the Marlins regarding J.T. Realmuto. Interesting development. He would be a long term solution and just the fact that these discussions are happening means they've closed the book on d'Arnaud

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mets apparently have spoken to the Marlins regarding J.T. Realmuto. Interesting development. He would be a long term solution and just the fact that these discussions are happening means they've closed the book on d'Arnaud

Probably means giving up someone like Gsellman and/or Lugo + others, but that's the price to be paid.  Don't think the Mets do it. 

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Seems those discussions were in the off-season not anything recent.

And it’s official TDA done for 2018 with TJS. Just when you thought it might be a new day around here when Conforto came back early.

48 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Seems those discussions were in the off-season not anything recent.

And it’s official TDA done for 2018 with TJS. Just when you thought it might be a new day around here when Conforto came back early.

As far as TDA goes it's really hard to feel sorry for the Mets on that one.  Rip Van Sandy chose to ignore the past and in this case it bit him in the ass.  Hard.  Nope, couldn't give Lucroy a look.  Well, you got what you paid for with TDA didn't ya Sandy?

Matz had a bit of a Niese moment there in the 4th. Cruising along flawlessly. 2 outs nobody on...suddenly a well struck double and then a 2 run HR to make it 2-2. Next inning though he shut them down 1-2-3 which was encouraging to see. Didn't let the home run get to him.

Frazier with his first two home runs as a Met tonight.