2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Mets acquire Wilmer Font from the Rays for either cash or a player to be named later:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fontwi01.shtml

This is about as "Whoop-De-Damn-Doo" as it gets...he had a nice run with the Rays last season after being acquired from Oakland, but the Mets will be his fifth team, and in the 65 IP he's pitched in the majors, he has a 6.51 ERA, 1.538 WHIP, and has allowed 16 HR. 

EDIT:  Now I see what this is all about...he made five starts last season for the Rays, all in June (they were clearly stretching him out, as he didn't pitch 5+ innings until his final two starts), so this is all about finding "depth in case Vargas and/or Matz are injured".  Sorry, this is about as small-market and cheap as it gets.  And Font left his final start in June with a right lat injury...he didn't pitch again in 2018.  So really nothing to get excited about here. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Meet the new Mets...same as the old Mets...

Oh well, it was fun being relevant in April I guess.  

Might as well can Mickey and play the “Change The Manager” card...he’s an idiot anyway, so not like there’s anything to lose.  At least it will be the end of Art Howe Part Deux.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just a sad pathetic loss. And Paddack rubbing things in didn't help. Maybe it'll fire them up who knows. But they've taken this slump about as far as they can. Snap out of it immediately or the season goes off the rails. 

The offense should not be this terrible. I realize we're not the 27 Yankees but this should be an above average O and not some comatose group that resembles the 2004 Mets

Re:  the offense...it was iffy enough that it was hard to tell what it could be...though it did appear to have some upside.  The kids were all unproven (and fvcking Conforto with yet ANOTHER complete disappearing act...I am getting so fed up with that crap from him...his extended inviso-stretches have really gotten old).  Cano and Cespedes are the Fat Cat Twins in just about every way.  Broxton was always a pretty awful hitter, but that sure didn't stop the Boy Blunder GM from scooping him right up.  And Frazier couldn't be more of the square peg in the round hole...you never want to pin everything on one guy, but goddamn did he seem to disrupt everything in a hurry. 

Mickey's gotta go.  That's it.  It's not even that there's some obvious target waiting to be scooped up (unless you consider Girardi such a candidate...but I doubt it will be anyone other than Riggleman)...it's that Mickey is way too "Honorable Mention Well We're All Trying!" for my taste...he's been a joke since his first press conference, really.  The guy has zero fire and his team reflects that...that being said, it does suck to have tons of $$$ wrapped in one guy who would love never to get on the field again, and a second one who can at least be bothered to play, but is truly the second coming of Roger Dorn. 

And just the idiocy and lapses. I mean 2 outs, 2 on with Cano at the plate...and Syndergaard gets picked off of second base. How the hell does that happen? You're a pitcher. Play it safe and tether yourself to the bag.

Their heads are not in it. 

14 hours ago, '7' said:

And just the idiocy and lapses. I mean 2 outs, 2 on with Cano at the plate...and Syndergaard gets picked off of second base. How the hell does that happen? You're a pitcher. Play it safe and tether yourself to the bag.

Their heads are not in it. 

And yet another very ordinary outing from Thor on the mound...I swear, the guy specializes in going 5-6 innings, giving up 9-10 hits and 3+ ER...save for the occasional random dominant outing that makes his overall numbers look better than they really "feel".

BTW, dating back to the start of last season, over 203.1 IP, he's allowed 201 hits.  I know he hasn't exactly benefitted from great defense, but deGrom over that same timeframe has pitched 257 innings and allowed just 185 hits.  So it can't just be bad defense blowing up his numbers. 

Not sure if anyone has been checking out Matt Harvey...the Dark Knight days are clearly very much done, but his game log has been odd for sure.  He's made seven starts so far and has been pretty good in three of them, and God-awful in the other four:

Three good starts:  19 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 2 HR, 8 BB, 8 K (his rotten K-to-BB ratio even in his better starts really illustrates how far he's fallen)

Four bad starts:  17.1 IP, 27 H, 23 ER, 6 BB, 14 K 

Gotta wonder how much longer he lasts in the game.  Amazing how bad he's been since his age 27 season.  Three very good seasons, then a complete drop off a cliff...and tons of health issues to boot.

lol they can't even make a game like last night stick.  Not that you would have given great odds of them winning with Font pitching but it was actually the offense that failed - again.  Waiting for the Mets offense to come around is like waiting for the Devils offense...a lot of hype but still mediocre at best.

And while we're killing guys, Wilson - it's okay to start doing something now, we're not in Florida anymore.  The fact that it's not even a complaint that Mickey left in Nido to hit in the 9th speaks volumes.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And of course another “vaunted” Mets starter goes right into mediocre mode.  

9 hours ago, '7' said:

Mets sure took out some aggression on the Marlins in the 1st inning here. Long way to go. Wheeler has a good first let's hope this is a cruise control type game

It took a while but he finally did cruise control it.  It's the sorry state of the Mets at this point I can't even picture a 9-0 second inning lead being safe but for one night it was.

Yeah thought Zack was going to lose it there for a while, but he did manage to go 7.  Alonso’s error seemed to throw him off a bit.  

And yeah, at 9-0 I didn’t feel like it was over...which kinda tells you all you need to know about the 2019 Mets so far.

Anyway, sure it was fun for some of the invisible men who weren’t doing jack sh!t to beat up on a starter who had nothing, but let’s see it happen against other arms now.

Yeah was pretty much guaranteed that there wouldn’t be a game today.  And yeah, never a bad thing is Font/Flexen or any other trainwreck that constitutes the “depth” in the Mets’ “system”.

Mets haven't played in 2 days and honestly it feels like it's been two weeks. They got a little momentum going in kicking. GH around the Marlins so I hope that isn't stemmed. The Nats are in a freefall. 5-13. Gotta beat up on them