2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

Yeah there was definitely a bird in a hand philosophy re: Realmuto and McCann. 

None of the big names have signed yet and with the possibility the season gets delayed and there’s still haggling going on about what a 2021 season will be like I’m not sure any of them will sign for another few weeks or even months.

Yeah I think if you're looking for "speedier" signings, you go 2nd-tier or lower.  

I'm pretty much assuming late-Jan/early-Feb before most of the big fish start getting reeled in.  Which means that I can see a couple of signings (and possibly a Conforto extension) before Springer finally becomes an "exclamation point" signing of sorts.

I get the feeling we may see some one-year deals for some of the "big fish", who simply might decide to see what the 2021 offseason (and a potentially much more normal world) could offer.  Who's really looking to spend big right now?  Even if some of the Met moves ultimately seem less than what we were expecting or hoping for, it seems like in the end, they'll wind up spending the most this offseason by a fair margin.  Brian Cashman's been hinting that with their current payroll as high as it is, that the Yankees only have so much wiggle-room to add that much more money. 

An example:  if JT really likes Philly that much, I can definitely see him taking a one-year deal to stay (especially since the mega-money offers may not be there).  Losing the Mets early kinda hurt him.   

re:  the Rockies...of course they do:

Nolan Arenado Trade Rumors: Rockies 'Want to Engage' with Mets in Talks About 3B | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Here's all you need to know about Arenado:  his career away slash is .263/.322/.471 (.793 OPS; at Coors, it's .985).  His career OPS at Citi (it's a limited sample, to be fair) is .684.  He is a great glove (7X Gold Glove), and he doesn't miss many games, but even though his away power numbers are 30 HR and 90 RBI per 162 GP, I'm still worried about him outside of Coors.  

Oh, and he's owed a FORTUNE through 2026 (he can opt out after 2021, but not sure why he'd take that risk...he'd be leaving $164 million on the table), and hard to think that some of those seasons won't be decline years. 

Hard pass on this one.  Given the length/cost of the contract, and that Coors Field has puffed up his numbers considerably, I can see the Mets regretting this one big-time in a few years...especially if acquiring him costs them to drain their prospect pool even more than it already is.  

EDIT...decided to check his away OPS for each of the last 5 full seasons (didn't count 2020).   

2015  .835

2016  .832

2017  .886

2018  .772

2019  .866

The numbers that are dragging down his career away OPS to below .800 are 2013 and 2014 (his combined overall OPS (both home AND away) from those seasons was just .764...he was clearly a work-in-progress), and 20 road games last year.  I'd still be very leery about bringing him in (no way his money won't affect the Mets' ability to make other costly moves), but based on these five seasons, he should be a productive hitter for a few more years, even if he can't call Coors home anymore.  

Yeah would love to see those taken away.  Love that Cohen is as "one of us" as a multi-billionaire possibly can be.  

• 2 weeks later...

Random blast from the past:  Rico “Suave” Brogna just got a single-A managerial gig with the A’s organization...apparently Rico is heavily into analytics and metrics.  Minor irony in that, in that Rico actually wasn’t a terribly good sabermetric player...sure, some of his traditional numbers were pretty nice (cracked 100 RBI twice as a Phillie), but overall didn’t really hit for average or get on base, struck out a fair amount for the era he played in (though gotta point out that sabes guys don’t care about that, but he didn’t walk all that much), and for his best years (94-99, as a Met and Phillie), he had a meh OPS+ of 102 (basically just a smidge above average).  His career went downhill very quickly after that...his OPS+ fell to 60 in the 2000-01 seasons combined, and then he was done.  His career OPS+ was just 96.

• 2 weeks later...

MLB Rumors: Tomoyuki Sugano Suitors Include Blue Jays, Giants; Mets Likely out | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Guess I'm not surprised.

Of course, if the Mets reel in Springer and/or Bauer, then no one will care about the above (and to be fair, not like Japanese pitchers have all been automatics).  

Mets definitely seem like they're playing Sandyball right now (even if he's not technically the GM)...seems like the plan is to get their players at THEIR price.  Being that no one else is stepping up with huge-money contracts just yet, hard to argue against that approach.  But man are Mets fans going to become salty if none of the top-tier guys are brought in.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Cohen starting to see the salty side already:

Mets are out on Tomoyuki Sugano in MLB free agency (nypost.com)

I happen to like that Cohen is letting his baseball people make these decisions...I'd rather that, then him overriding them just to flex some financial muscle.  At the very least, I 100% do NOT see Cohen as any kind of Wilpons Part Deux.  No way do I believe that he won't allow his team to spend.  

That being said, I definitely won't be able to deal with Sandy saying "We were in a lot of things, but..."  They CANNOT come out of a market like this relatively empty-handed (even with the signings they've already managed).  

Damn...

Of course, the big key to this deal is getting Lindor signed long-term (this can't be a one season-and-done deal)...that will cost plenty, but the fact is that even the Lindor of last year's truncated season is a much more ferocious bat than Rosario or Gimenez could ever hope to be...and of course, he's a two-time Gold Glove winner as well.  I think Rosario is what he is (merely a decent but limited bat and fielder), and Gimenez has some intriguing upside (I have a feeling he's going to become a good player), but gotta give to get, and the Mets just snagged two players who should help right now...one of whom is a legit star at his position.     

Got a cost-controlled Carrasco for three years as well (his Age 34, 35, and 36 seasons...2023 is a team option year).  Hopefully he doesn't fall off, but they needed a cost-effective arm for the rotation, and they got one.  

Love this trade! I mean we pretty much know what Rosario is at this point. Maybe his game improves a bit over time but for the most part he's been ok and that is below what he was projected to do as a prospect (he was one of the top prospects in all of baseball at one point) but I don't think Rosario ever reaches superstardom...Lindor is still well within his prime and could have plenty more top 10 MVP voting seasons in his future. Gimenez...meh who knows. Showed some ability but I have no clue what his ceiling is.

But Lindor is one of the best all around in baseball. He can hit home runs, he can get on base with walks (and disrupt things when on base with his speed) he can field his position. There are going to be stretches during the summer where he's performed like one of baseballs best. This totally changes the entire complexion of the Mets in every way. The guy is an elite talent and is only 27 

and he's (knock on wood) HEALTHY. He plays full seasons. And he doesn't strike out 150+ times a year either (had one 100+ K season) absolute all around pro's pro of a player

Edited by '7'

Yeah Rosario will have some pretty good years (like he did in 2019), but for his career his OPS+ is 91 (in four seasons he's been at 76, 88, 101, and 76...2020 was a major step back, though last year is so hard to judge, based on lack of games).  Maybe he'll be around 100 for his OPS+ by the end of his career, maybe not.  But yeah, unless he suddenly finds a new gear, I think Rosario has established himself as pretty ordinary, and not capable of reaching the ceiling forecast for him.  In a few years he may be more of a backup/fill-in type, if he keeps struggling to get on base 30% of the time.  His glove isn't special enough to offset his offensive deficiencies.   

I think Gimenez will make this deal a lot less painful for the Indians in time (got a feeling about him), but the Mets got the proven guy, who's still young to boot (he's just two years older than Rosario, almost to the day).  More than good enough for me!  But now they gotta pay him.  No fvcking around.     

Helped that the Mets had two young SS to give them in return, along with the other pieces.  I’m guessing Rosario is more the "we can get by with him for now" insurance guy, while Gimenez is seen as the “future but might need a little more seasoning” player.

Interesting...maybe in this environment, GMs are simply much that less inclined to jump in on Japanese players...

Tomoyuki Sugano returning to Japan after being unable to find MLB deal (msn.com)

Francisco Lindor says he's open to discussing long-term deal with New York Mets (espn.com)

I'm sure some fans are excited about this, but let's face it, why would Lindor say anything else?  He's not going to cut off one of the few options he has (we know the number of franchises that can offer him mega-money is small...hard to believe that the Mets are suddenly one of the few).  

I'm guessing there will be some talk back-and-forth, but unless it's an absolute top-dollar offer from the Mets (and like I said, Lindor and his agent would be dumb to completely cut off that chance before it can even materialize, so course they'll invite the Mets to discuss an offer), he'll play out this season and test the waters.  It will obviously be deflating if he's one-and-done (especially if the Mets contend and make a playoff run and come up short, but look like they're close), but given the cost, I still get at least rolling the dice on a trade in this case.  

And that's the difference between having actual baseball men here, as opposed to the agent-wannabe-GM and the owner's-son-wannabe-baseball-man calling the shots.  At least with this move, even if the worst case scenario happens (Lindor gives us all a taste of what could be for years to come, then leaves), the cost wasn't prohibitive.  Seattle is likely STILL laughing at what they managed to get for Cano.  A case of two morons in BVW and Jeffy getting schooled. 

Of course, if the Mets don't click this season and are under .500 or suffer a bunch of brutal injuries (always a possibility), and Lindor is having a great season and is healthy, they can at least deal him off for a prospect haul, if need be.  Not the scenario any of us are hoping for in the slightest, but not like the Mets just have to sit there and wait for him to bolt.        

The saving grace vis-a-vis the risk of Lindor going FA is 'right now' you have a ton of other FA shortstops that could replace him.  It obviously wouldn't be ideal losing Lindor in FA but it's a lot better if you can sign a Correa, Baez, etc than if you lose him and have bupkus.

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The saving grace vis-a-vis the risk of Lindor going FA is 'right now' you have a ton of other FA shortstops that could replace him.  It obviously wouldn't be ideal losing Lindor in FA but it's a lot better if you can sign a Correa, Baez, etc than if you lose him and have bupkus.

Excellent point...forgot how many SS will be out there as FA after this season.  He may be better off signing a good Mets offer now, than testing a crowded market.  

Looks like this "saga" of sorts is finally coming to an end soon (hopefully):

MLB rumors: Yankees' Luis Castillo speculation shot down; George Springer could sign this week - CBSSports.com

The guess here is that the Mets are his first choice, but his agent was hoping to use the Blue Jays as leverage...assuming the Mets aren't willing to go too crazy with a high bid, I can see Springer just taking the Jays' money.  

At this point, I'm actually kind of indifferent to whether Springer signs here or not, though I understand why both sides have taken so long...Sandy has almost always been uber-patient (and doesn't care if the fanbase is getting restless, and shouldn't), and Springer knows he's going to get a nice deal, given the current environment...it wasn't going to kill him to wait until the very best one came along. 

Guessing the Mets will just about tapped out at that point, as far as making any more moves.  And I can't say I'd be expecting anything more.

uh boy. And silly us to think lolmets may be gone for good. That we can truly, finally bury this laughingstock stuff...this surfaces

I mean of course this is not something he mentioned during the interview process so can't really blame the Mets too much here. This just happens too damn often in general. It's sickening

I can't see him keeping his job now. And we had the Beltran fiasco last year

Why do people have to be such profound idiots?