2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

49 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea Washington is really starting to scare me. Somebody needs to bring them back down to earth and soon

Their pitching is a little suspect, but they can hit (.252 Team BA, leads the NL)...the big question is whether or not they can sustain this...even with their sudden offensive outbursts, they're still only averaging 4.09 RPG...that's good for 11th in the NL (of course Sandy's Mets are 14th at 3.58 RPG).  But at least the Nats have HAD a legit outburst.

For now, if we have anything to hold onto, it's that teams sometimes surge to get back into a race, but don't have enough in them to jump ahead (see the 2019 Mets).  They've gone 14-3 in their last 17, but the Nats now have four against the Dodgers, and then a West Coast trip to San Diego (four games) and San Fran (three games)...then another three against San Diego at home.  A lot of tough games...if they can keep surging, then yeah, I'll be plenty impressed (and scared).  But I'm more concerned about the Mets...especially since I can see Rip Van Sandy not attempting to do much at or before the deadline, regardless of how the team is performing.  

• Like 1

Man…even Jake doesn’t have it.  Not like he wasn’t due for a clunker at some point.

But no one can ever say that he doesn’t battle.  Gets out of first and third with no outs in the second, now has a manageable pitch count after three innings.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And just like that, after a rough beginning, he’s struck out 12 through 5 innings…with no walks.  Damn Jake…

Make that 14 through 6 IP.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Thanks 1

And thought I doubt many will take this viewpoint, I hope that no Mets fans anywhere will look at last night as say "deGrom's gotta shut down the Braves in that spot", and somehow put that loss on him.  Yeah, he gave up three runs, but geez...after getting into another jam in the second, he slammed the door shut as hard as it possibly could've been...18 straight hitters retired, with Ks galore.  An season ERA (0.95) that's STILL under 1.00...in July!  Heaven forbid his teammates could've picked him up, found a way to score more than two friggin' runs the rest of the way.

Well, Lindor's down to .213...which means he's probably due for a good game at the plate, so that he can flirt with the low .220s again.  What the fvck happened to this guy?  

This was a good way to handle an obvious fishing expedition of a question.

But since I'm not Luis Rojas...YEAH looks like the Mets dodged a bullet there and not just cause Bauer looked more ordinary post-sticky stuff.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

And here's another example of umps trying to insert themselves in the game, or in this case cowtowing to one manager whining about a first-pitch HBP in the ribs.  I hope we get to hear the leaked audio of THIS, it might beat the Terry Collins ass in the jackpot one.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This was a good way to handle an obvious fishing expedition of a question.

But since I'm not Luis Rojas...YEAH looks like the Mets dodged a bullet there and not just cause Bauer looked more ordinary post-sticky stuff.

It turns out the Mets are EXTREMELY lucky that they didn’t wind up with Bauer…not like they didn’t get him because in the end, they decided that he might be a problem…yeah, they dodged a bullet, but only our of sheer luck.  Given the offer they made, he easily could’ve decided to sign here…and man given some of the things that have happened previously, it would’ve gotten REAL ugly for the Mets.

And given what’s out there, this really looks serious for Bauer.  Feels like his season might already be over.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And here's another example of umps trying to insert themselves in the game, or in this case cowtowing to one manager whining about a first-pitch HBP in the ribs.  I hope we get to hear the leaked audio of THIS, it might beat the Terry Collins ass in the jackpot one.

Today’s umpires are such c*nts…they really are.  But when a guy like Angel Hernandez gets to keep working no matter how lousy he is, no wonder they feel like they can do whatever they want.  Mattingly was 100% right to lose his sh!t.  

Man the Yankees look like a team that needs a big change, but their management's too stubborn and arrogant to deviate from THE PLAN.  Sitting Judge against Ohtani (which was mostly the Angel pen as it worked out) with one or two rain days always on the docket after was just another example of how stupidly reliant they are on percentages and computers.  He needs a day off after playing X consecutive games because his BA in consecutive game #Y is below .200, yadda yadda yadda.  They not only have no feel for the moment but no urgency for the fact they're several games back of the second WC spot, let alone the division.  What good is saving anyone gonna do if you don't make the playoffs?!

Their management acts like a team that knows it's going to the playoffs and is running their program come hell or high water, so why shouldn't the players be complacent too?  Especially when they take great pains not to criticize players in public, which granted isn't exclusive to the Yankees or both NY teams.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Dodgers on the verge of sweeping the Nats…which would knock the Nats back to two games under .500.  And that’s often the issue with teams like them…can they sustain being hot long enough to do more than close the gap?  

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dodgers on the verge of sweeping the Nats…which would knock the Nats back to two games under .500.  And that’s often the issue with teams like them…can they sustain being hot long enough to do more than close the gap?  

Babe Schwarber going on the DL with a significant hamstring injury at the beginning of their trip doesn’t help either, especially when he was hitting a HR a day the last three weeks.

As usual the Mets biggest challenge is themselves, then probably the Braves.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Babe Schwarber going on the DL with a significant hamstring injury at the beginning of their trip doesn’t help either, especially when he was hitting a HR a day the last three weeks.

As usual the Mets biggest challenge is themselves, then probably the Braves.

Yea Schwarber...that was getting out of control. He carried that entire franchise for like a 2 week stretch

On 7/3/2021 at 3:26 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It turns out the Mets are EXTREMELY lucky that they didn’t wind up with Bauer…not like they didn’t get him because in the end, they decided that he might be a problem…yeah, they dodged a bullet, but only our of sheer luck.  Given the offer they made, he easily could’ve decided to sign here…and man given some of the things that have happened previously, it would’ve gotten REAL ugly for the Mets.

And given what’s out there, this really looks serious for Bauer.  Feels like his season might already be over.

Yea. And I recall him being a smug troll on social media in the aftermath of the attempt of the Mets to get him. We're still trying to cleanse the funk of the Wilpons reign of terror away from the team...having the Bauer situation to deal with now would've been no bueno and another headache. The type of attention that we don't want

Amazes me that someone like Oswalt, who has been disgraceful in 90+ mlb innings, is allowed to ever pitch. Over 100 hits allowed, 60+ earned runs. This is bottom of the barrel Flexen bad

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I just hate having to throw away games...

Kinda sucks when you’re short on arms at times…but at least the Mets took the series.