2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Seriously though, someone in that organization needs to sit fvcking Lindor down, and straighten him the fvck out.  As in "Look pal, we committed a fvck-ton of coin to you, this hissy lil' attitude of yours needs to change RIGHT.  fvckING.  NOW."

This guy is basically being paid an absolute fortune to lay waste to his franchise.  It's bad enough that he's been awful for large swaths of his first year here, but you're going to act like an insufferable a$$hole on top of it?  REALLY?!

And on a funny (yet very sad) side note, man is Rojas quickly gaining a reputation as the Captain Oblivious guy who somehow manages to be the last to know what's going on...every single time. 

Man, said it already, but if not for the Mets spending big-time money on Lindor, you'd swear the Wilpons had never left.  So much of what's happened is EXACTLY the same crazy kind of sh!t that forever manifested itself under the Wilpons.  I'm sorry Steve, but you gotta do whatever it takes to get Theo here...at least he brings instant credibility with him.  Your franchise sorely needs some of that right now.     

• Like 1

As if you needed any more proof Lindor was the real instigator of this nonsense

I’d have more respect for the dude if he pulled a Jack McDowell and just overtly fingered the fans, instead of this whiny passive aggressive crap and having his buddy the FA to be take the public bullet for him

Also think it might be time to change the name of this team to the New York Millennials.  Because this team couldn't be any more millennial...of COURSE they can't handle any criticism of any kind, and are constantly on the hunt for positive reinforcement (doesn't matter whether they actually DESERVE positive reinforcement...they just need to fans to back them up no matter how lousy they're playing).  I've been watching sports since the late 70s-early 80s, and though I remember teams that had their share of bad guys and miserable human beings, I don't ever remember one that was so friggin' sensitive about...well, everything!  Does Baez have any idea how stupid he made himself look with his comments?  And I'm sorry, having your kid with you so the reporters think twice about being too harsh in calling you out on your complete bullsh!t...that's a total bitch move.  

It's funny, the more I think about Baez, the more I really wish they could just tell him to get lost...given the state of the team, does it matter one bit if he plays in the Mets' final 32 games of 2021?  Do I really need to see him hit 5 or 6 HR and strike out 40 more times as the season winds down? 

But I wonder if the Mets actually COULD send him home...could the MLBPA file a grievance?  Being a jerk probably doesn't constitute enough cause to just give him the boot.  I'm guessing you can't just do that in this case.  Not that I think the Mets would go that far, just wondering aloud.  They could simply bench him, but then he'd probably be even more of a headache.  And I'm sure his bestie Lindor would pitch plenty of fits.  

It's scary though, one season into the Cohen Era, it feels like this team needs a hard reset...and with Lindor signed for another decade, I have no idea how it can truly be accomplished.  I can fully understand if deGrom asks to be moved in the offseason...hopes that he's healthy in 2022, and simply wants to take his craft to a legit contending team, that isn't a constant fvcking three-ring sh!tstorm of a circus.  And it's amazing...Lindor hasn't even been here for one full season, and he's quickly zooming up the "The Most Hated Mets" chart.  Seriously, I can't stand this fvcking guy...at least Baez has almost ensured that he's gone as soon as he clears out his locker at the end of the year, so at least I only have to take him for another month (and I'm not gonna be watching many games anyway).  But Lindor...Jesus Christ, what a complete jackoff this guy is.  Does he even realize how douchey he's come across this season?

And funny how good these guys are at blaming everyone else...Stroman (I'm sorry, he's got a lot of punk to him) basically blaming the press for blowing this up...the press does do that on occasion, no question, but Baez was the one who said what he said, for all to read in print.  And as we know, he's got teammates who clearly agree with him.     

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As if you needed any more proof Lindor was the real instigator of this nonsense

I’d have more respect for the dude if he pulled a Jack McDowell and just overtly fingered the fans, instead of this whiny passive aggressive crap and having his buddy the FA to be take the public bullet for him

Yeah just touched on Lindor in my last post...the Mets are fvcked here...they basically gave a whiny manchild zillions of dollars.  He may apologize just because, but the real Lindor is the a$$hole we've been watching all year...deep down he thinks his reactions have been completely justified.  He thinks the fans are mean and unfair, and he thinks he's above being "picked on".  It sucks, because we've found out very quickly how horribly WRONG he is for New York.

Seriously, both he and Baez deserve to be booed every AB...they've done so little as Mets.  You want it to stop?  Stop sucking.  

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah just touched on Lindor in my last post...the Mets are fvcked here...they basically gave a whiny manchild zillions of dollars.  He may apologize just because, but the real Lindor is the a$$hole we've been watching all year...deep down he thinks his reactions have been completely justified.  He thinks the fans are mean and unfair, and he thinks he's above being "picked on".  It sucks, because we've found out very quickly how horribly WRONG he is for New York.

Seriously, both he and Baez deserve to be booed every AB...they've done so little as Mets.  You want it to stop?  Stop sucking.  

I wouldn't be against it...even if it does turn out to be the final nail in the 2021 Mets coffin (which may have already been driven in) sending him home is something I'd be onboard for

39 minutes ago, '7' said:

I wouldn't be against it...even if it does turn out to be the final nail in the 2021 Mets coffin (which may have already been driven in) sending him home is something I'd be onboard for

Oh I'm totally for it...I just know the Mets would never go that far (and to be fair, I don't think the other teams would necessarily go that far either).

Come to think of it, I guess they could just flat-out release him...yeah, they'll have to eat some money (looks like about $2.3 million, based on what's left of the season), but I would LOVE the message that would send.  Especially to Lindor..."Sorry pal, you wanna act like a spoiled princess brat, then you don't get to play with your besties anymore."  The inmates are clearly running the asylum at the moment, with the "parents" (Rojas) thinking that aw shucks, the kids are just being kids (and completely unaware of what they're all up to).  It's really a mess.  What's doubly infuriating about it is that Sandy not only brought in a very flawed ballplayer whose bat was never going to be that much of a help (he's just too all-or-nothing, but too often nothing), but that the guy who had done so incredibly little as a Met got to have say in his being brought here.  Seriously, I feel like these two as a tandem could disrupt almost ANY team dumb enough to take them both on.  They're complete cancers. 

Oh, and Baez's slash over the last two seasons, covering 167 GP:  .228/.269/.436...25 BB and 228 K.  89 OPS+.  34 HR too, but Jesus, did Sandy actually think that this guy was going to HELP?!  The horror show that was Jose Reyes in his final season had a .260 OB%...you know how hard it is to put up a OB% that's so far under .300?  All Baez does is jack the occasional random HR here and there (and then act like he just won a World Series), and I know he can play defense, but goddamn, why the hell would you want to sign up for that beyond this year?  Even Rob Deer managed to get on base at a .324 clip for his career.  Baez is at .302 and dropping.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oof well it has been the ugliest season since 1993, no question. And disheartening because we figured we’d leave Same Old Mets behind once Fred and Jeff got booted out and not one damn thing has changed for the better other than the Lindor deal - which is actually going to be just as crappy as the Wilpons going the other way and punting on guys like Wheeler.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think there’s a chance it could get better if Sandy’s shown the door and Theo is given full control.  Like I said, instant credibility at least.

Mets on their way to yet another lifeless loss...but heaven forbid, don't you dare boo them!  

Well Baez actually came through, but not quite enough to get the tying run in so here comes Conforto, Mr. I want $200 million before the season and barely hitting above .200 now.

HOLY CRAP...lolololol  If this doesn't wake these fvcktards up nothing will.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Oof well it has been the ugliest season since 1993, no question. And disheartening because we figured we’d leave Same Old Mets behind once Fred and Jeff got booted out and not one damn thing has changed for the better other than the Lindor deal - which is actually going to be just as crappy as the Wilpons going the other way and punting on guys like Wheeler.

Well...it's been a weird one but years like 2003...2004. Those were pretty dark with an uncertain future. So was 2009 and that era. In retrospect I don't think this year will be looked upon as too bad. They'll probably finish around .500, and they were in first for a very long stretch

But it was chaotic. Tumultuous

Edited by '7'

Feels like too little too late.  Still two games under .500.  If they win basically all of these remaining games against the Marlins and Nats, then maybe there’s something happening. 

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Well...it's been a weird one but years like 2003...2004. Those were pretty dark with an uncertain future. So was 2009 and that era. In retrospect I don't think this year will be looked upon as too bad. They'll probably finish around .500, and they were in first for a very long stretch

But it was chaotic. Tumultuous

Of course they've had other worse seasons on the field, but I was more referring to the fact this one's been as tumultuous off the field as any since the Worst Team Money Can Buy year.  What really compares to all the sh!t that's been going on from the offseason on through - 2009 with Willie getting fired in the middle of the night, the Ryan Church concussion fiasco and Omar going nuts on Adam Rubin?  That's the only one I can think of that's had half the nonsense of all that's happened in this one - the FA nonsense, the Porter stuff, constantly mishandling Jake, the Lindor/Baez nonsense, rats and racoons, etc etc.

Even Howie Rose is going on the IL now, I'm half tempted to think the Mets nixed tomorrow's game early just to make sure Howie got a full sendoff today (with a doubleheader sweep no less) and didn't have his last broadcast of the season be an on-again, off-again rain game, especially when the Mets play the Marlins at Citi again soon enough.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mets now 5.5 back…Atlanta’s schedule gets pretty easy for a while, after they finish up with the Dodgers.

If the Mets win ALL of these games against the Nats and Marlins, I’d say they have a chance.  But that’s what it’s going to take.  

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course they've had other worse seasons on the field, but I was more referring to the fact this one's been as tumultuous off the field as any since the Worst Team Money Can Buy year.  What really compares to all the sh!t that's been going on from the offseason on through - 2009 with Willie getting fired in the middle of the night, the Ryan Church concussion fiasco and Omar going nuts on Adam Rubin?  That's the only one I can think of that's had half the nonsense of all that's happened in this one - the FA nonsense, the Porter stuff, constantly mishandling Jake, the Lindor/Baez nonsense, rats and racoons, etc etc.

Even Howie Rose is going on the IL now, I'm half tempted to think the Mets nixed tomorrow's game early just to make sure Howie got a full sendoff today (with a doubleheader sweep no less) and didn't have his last broadcast of the season be an on-again, off-again rain game, especially when the Mets play the Marlins at Citi again soon enough.

Speaking of which, ugh

Well guess he's out of here at the end of the season too, if there was any doubt.  Stupid motherfvcker

That means that Sandy now has to be 100% out too.  Sorry, way too much has happened under his watch.  Gotta clean house.  

• Like 1

And one last note to Mr. Cohen...you brought in an indifferent befuddled old man to run the show, and it's been every bit the disaster that it promised to be.  Make it right.  There's a still-young and very competent man out there who may (we don't know) be interested in running the Mets.  You know who he is.  Make the call.  Do whatever it takes to get him in here.  Your Mets have just as little credibility as the Wilpon Mets.  Cleaning house is one thing, but if you hire some other buffoon to run things, it won't ever get better.

Do NOT fvck around.  Theo may be available.  Go find out!   

Pretty funny comment I saw somewhere:

Cohen invited Zack over to his house to discuss the boos.

Zack thought he meant "booze".  

• Haha 1
  • Shocking 1

47 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And as others have pointed out, this is the same GM that made his comments about personal responsibility criticizing the players just a few weeks ago.

Yeah he’s gotta go.  Ditto Sandy (duh).

This is beyond embarrassing, dangerous, and yet ANOTHER black eye for a franchise that continues to be mired in the Wilpon muck. Nothing has changed under Cohen. Absolutely nothing regarding the clownshow 2nd rate operation we're running. Both Sandy and Scott need to be gone. Hopefully immediately but Scott is likely to be fired (or suspended and re-assigned) while Sandy steps away at seasons end. He's likely done in Major League Baseball in any capacity anyway