2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

We know the history...Mets have long been heartbreaking losers, even when relevant.  2022 seems destined to be the latest example of such.  

Anyway the lesson I've learned permanently:  No more trying to guess or predict results based on "ease" of schedule (for the Mets or their opponents).  Or any of "Well if the Mets just do THIS, then that team has to do THAT"...because the Mets are a team that will forever find a way NOT to "just do this", and the Braves are the kind of team that will get it done, especially if the Mets are all that stand in their way.  

And MB3 is right...the RBI stat simply isn't is big of a deal as it once was, and never again will I treat it as such.  You can fatten that number up on crap pitching staffs, in blowout games, in meaningless moments.  For all of Alonso's and Lindor's big RBI totals, is it THAT big of a shock that neither drove in a run this series?  A guy like Alonso who has a year where he drove in over 130 runs, you should feel like he's going to make some serious noise in a big series.  Nope...and even sadder is that it didn't really come as that big of a shock that those two were largely snuffed out.  Like I've been saying for a while, you can pitch to them (and every single other bat in the lineup) in big spots without too much fear.  The Mets as a whole don't strike fear into ANYONE.  If I'm the Mets' WC opponent, I'm licking my chops...all I gotta do is jump on them early, and they'll fold right up.  

I get that Alonso and Lindor will likely be here for quite some time, but Mets gotta get some REAL big-game players in the mix.  Those two are strictly complementary offensive players...you treat them like cornerstones, and they'll let you down when it REALLY counts, just like Reyes and Wright often did.  Mets gotta find guys with the knack...the guy capable of raising their games in those mega-moments.  The Mets don't have one right now, though if they can ever start making the postseason consistently, maybe McNeil can kinda-sorta be that player...hard to say.  I just know I'm not going to be surprised when Alonso and Lindor combine for very meh offseason numbers...or bloat them when the game's out of hand either way.

Gio said it perfectly on the WFAN this morning...it's easy to look at Max's numbers and say "When healthy, he was really good."  fvck that.  He got paid an absolute FORTUNE to get it done in EXACTLY this kind of start, and he didn't...wasn't nearly good enough.  deGrom has given up 6 HR and has an ERA of 6.00 over his last four starts...but sure, keep waiting to eagerly opt out and leave the Mets behind...and it's not like you're making chump change.  I'm so pissed off at this team, especially since I've spent the season backing off the ledge and giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I can't do it anymore, not after this series.  Even one ugly win in this series and I would've still found some way to defend them and to believe.  The sad thing is even the Mets had shown any fight at all and managed to take another lead, the Braves STILL would've found a way to go right back ahead in due time.  But the Braves knew coming back from 3-1 early was effectively a death blow...they didn't have to break much of a sweat.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, point said:

At least Gary, Ron and Keith did have to suffer publicly last nights game. What is the phrase, " not with a bang, but a whimper"?

Keith (who NEVER shies away from being critical) would have had some interesting observations on this series.  Especially since he was as clutch as it got while he was here.

They were several steps below "whimper", heh heh.  This weekend was just insanely brutal.  

2 hours ago, point said:

At least Gary, Ron and Keith did have to suffer publicly last nights game. What is the phrase, " not with a bang, but a whimper"?

Given that Keith's on IR anyway they would have had to Zoom him in.  I had to listen to the radio last night - at least until they fvcked up the third inning and I turned it off in disgust going to bed - because power and internet were out on my street and Howie/Wayne or whoever the hell is the sidekick now were beside themselves (as was I) at the Mets not being able to extend their lead in the third.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Keith (who NEVER shies away from being critical) would have had some interesting observations on this series.  Especially since he was as clutch as it got while he was here.

They were several steps below "whimper", heh heh.  This weekend was just insanely brutal.  

Emasculation is the word I'd use

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Given that Keith's on IR anyway they would have had to Zoom him in.  I had to listen to the radio last night - at least until they fvcked up the third inning and I turned it off in disgust going to bed - because power and internet were out on my street and Howie/Wayne or whoever the hell is the sidekick now were beside themselves (as was I) at the Mets not being able to extend their lead in the third.

Emasculation is the word I'd use

'7' called it, and he didn't even need to, because we knew that not scoring more that inning was going to bite them right in the ass...I just thought it would happen much later in the game.  But the Bassitt puts on his p*ssy shoes and that was all the fight that the Mets had left.  

It really it amazing...the Mets still have a good shot to win 100 games and they're postseason bound, but it took all of one series to completely squash all of the good feeling that built up in 2022.  I'm just waiting for the Padres to sweep them right out of the playoffs...I hope I'm wrong of course, I hope we can look back on that Braves series from hell and wonder how the hell the Mets shook that off to go on a run...but I'm not feeling it.  I think this team just died.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think this team just died.  

It's hard not to feel that way, but you've been around long enough to know that it doesn't take much to get things going in the other direction. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I just can't call this team a bunch of dogs yet. 

38 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

It's hard not to feel that way, but you've been around long enough to know that it doesn't take much to get things going in the other direction. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I just can't call this team a bunch of dogs yet. 

Can I entirely rule out the Mets getting on some kind of run here?  No.  But they’ve been largely meh for the last month, really.  Didn’t do as well as against a slew of lousy teams as we would’ve thought, which gave them less margin for error in the Braves series.  They didn’t play well against the Padres at all (likely their first-round opponent).  And to come up SO small against the Braves…just feels like the party came to a screeching halt.  We’ll have the offseason to analyze why, but as of today, I consider the #1 culprit to be Eppler.  Mets could’ve just let Sandy be the GM if they wanted to think puny (or outsmart themselves).  I know there were some fine moves made in the offseason, but those deadline moves…

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can I entirely rule out the Mets getting on some kind of run here?  No.  But they’ve been largely meh for the last month, really.  Didn’t do as well as against a slew of lousy teams as we would’ve thought, which gave them less margin for error in the Braves series.  They didn’t play well against the Padres at all (likely their first-round opponent).  And to come up SO small against the Braves…just feels like the party came to a screeching halt.  We’ll have the offseason to analyze why, but as of today, I consider the #1 culprit to be Eppler.  Mets could’ve just let Sandy be the GM if they wanted to think puny (or outsmart themselves).  I know there were some fine moves made in the offseason, but those deadline moves…

I thought the Vogelbach move was good. He's hit pretty well. But before the deadline I was thinking the Mets would try for JD Martinez or Tommy Pham.

Vogelbach is a career .218 hitter…and the kind of guy who feasts on bad pitching.  Overall he’s been pretty good as a Met, but not a guy you’d ever want up with the game on the line...he's similar to Lucas Duda.  And yeah I thought they’d aim higher via the trade market.

Really thought the Braves would just get this thing over with…guess even they can have a letdown game.  Still don’t see them getting swept of course.  

Fat fvck and Naquin apparently have their hands full with Abbott…0-for-4 with 4 K combined.  Sandy must love these guys.

At least the Mets are leading in the early going. 

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL Carrasco coming into today has a 2.45 ERA in 88 IP against sub .500 teams, and a 6.15 ERA in 60 innings against .500 and better teams.  So I guess not much surprise he's dominating the Nats so far

Yeah at least he can get it done against sh!t teams I guess.  And at least he’s continued that trend so far tonight.  

Yeah I’m not a fan of either guy.  I shudder at the thought of them starting a playoff game…though it may not come to pass this season.

By all means Pete, swing at the first pitch right after the guy ahead of you walks on pitches.  

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL at least Buck's managing like Carrasco can't be trusted, pulling him immediately after two XBH and runs allowed.

Seriously can’t manage more than four IP in a doubleheader against the NATIONALS?!  Friggin’ Carrasco might be the most worthless 15-game winner in baseball.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seriously can’t manage more than four IP in a doubleheader against the NATIONALS?!  Friggin’ Carrasco might be the most worthless 15-game winner in baseball.

Reminds me of the Trachsel 2006 season, think he also won 15 lol.  Might have even been our highest win-getter that year but he was predictably useless in his playoff start

And here's Drew Smith to pour gasoline on the fire...they really gonna end this by blowing a 4-0 lead to the Nats?  Fitting I guess.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

For a great strikeout pitcher Diaz is so damned efficient…four out save, just fifteen pitches

Yeah he’s been insanely good most of this season…no other way to put it.

A win’s a win, I’ll take ‘em any way that the Mets can get them right now.