I just converted...

undaimee

undaimee, i'm glad that you found religion in your life. There is no need for you to defend your decision, as long as you are happy with your decision that is enough.

you will always find people that critique you, often because of ignorance.

Never let anyone tell you that you made the wrong decision.

(myself, I am an atheist, and that is a decision I made in my teens after growing up in a christian family)

thanks man, thats the best comment i have recieved in a while

i would also pokke fun a muslims in my schools during 9/11, and look at me now...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you die and u face God.. dont blame him if He chooses for u guys who do not beleive to go to Hell. I am sorry for being blunt but that is ABSOLUTE truth. Here is your warning from God! Be careful .. your eternity depends on it..

Not sure how I could go to hell if I don't believe it exists. :noclue:

Also, how is it that YOU are the one delivering any sort of warning from God? :noclue:

After you die and u face God.. dont blame him if He chooses for u guys who do not beleive to go to Hell. I am sorry for being blunt but that is ABSOLUTE truth. Here is your warning from God! Be careful .. your eternity depends on it..

if good exists I dont think he will be judging your life by if you believed in him or not... I'm thinking the focus would lie in if you lived a good life.

and, not to sound like a jackass, but what you wrote there sure doesn't sound like something, the "live and let live" dude, jesus would say B )

Well the way I see it God is all knowing and can take any and all forms. All views are correct even if they seem diametrically irreconcilably opposed... because with God all things are possible. so HA! :evil: Heeheehee -- that one sentence makes things so easy! :P

and all this "the answer is People created God" :rolleyes: I think that's missing the point Yes, I agree, people create various myths to explain the mysteries of existence. That's not the same as God. None of the existing myths about God offend me - they all have value. I think science is closer to the actuality of what God is, at least at this point in time I feel that way. That is the path speaking to me anyhow.

And, in Christianity at least, Hell is the absence of God. I want to be a wiseass and say if you don't beleive in God then you won't miss his presence :P -- but then I know that's silly. I think someone as loving as Don seems to be would miss God's presense. I think God would miss the presence of Don too!

My mythological God would never cast someone out of His presence simply because they didn't buy into one interpretation of His existence. Anyone who loves his fellow human being, anyone who can committ selfless acts of compassion, believes in God whether they have a mythology or not. Anyone who is unforgiving, unsympathetic unempathetic -- well they obviously don't believe in God no matter what mythology they say they buy into... I feel this is so self evident. When I hear Don's story I feel more like he's got to have a blank slate - in order to follow his path - in my mind plainly a good and virtuous path - he's got to let go of God because he's got some accountability issues. :P In order to walk with God he's got to deny God's existence. This makes perfect sense to me. If it makes sense to someone as in the dark as I then I think God's gonna get it too.

But this does lead me to ask a question Brodeurfanatic... which would God rather do you think - that someone NOT beleive in Him or that someone think he's an a$$hole? I'm sorry if that sounds blasphemous - I just can't think of a better way to put it. I figure both would be going to Hell in your opinion... but which do you suppose is worse?

religion says God forgives everyone... you have as much chance of meeting the Pope in heaven as you do Hitler...

:EDIT (Sorry Godwin  :argh: )

:lol:

No, I don't think it's :lol: at all. TK is always mentioning Hitler intentionally so that he can take a swipe at Puddy's references to Godwin's Law. It's yet another reason why he's one of the biggest a$$holes on the board. If I wasn't wholly entertained by his "I hate everyone who's not a white Republican" schtick, I'd have put him on my ignore list a long time ago.

No, this isn't political, it's just stupid. You guys wanna debate religion fine, but there's no reason to go and attack each other because their religion is different. If I was around four hours ago I would have had to lock the thread, but the horse is out of the barn now so to speak, so I'll let it stay up so long as no new attacks start.

Religion debates can stay in off-topic for now though personally I find religion just as divisive as politics (part of the reason I generally stay away from either gettting too emotionally involved or discussing both with too many people).

TK is always mentioning Hitler intentionally so that he can take a swipe at Puddy's references to Godwin's Law.

Nope, you're wrong again Mr. Know-it-all...

Then why do you keep mentioning Godwin's Law? I think Puddy only mentioned it twice even if you mentioned Hitler or Nazis more than that. :noclue:

Heh. Last year I started a new french class and the teacher started by stating that we would be having 1 hour discussions to start class, and the rest of the time would be spent doing the classwork. And for these discussions we could discuss anything we wanted. So he asked if anyone had a topic to discuss. Someone suggest the controversy of "Passions of the Christ".

"New rule. You can discuss *anything* except religion."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hrm. Usually when PK writes a bunch of meandering thoughts, I'll say "Okay, I could sit here and read this and try to make some sense of it.... or watch Law and Order and eat cheese nibs". Nine times out of ten, Law and Order/Nibs win. This time I'm interested. :) I love ethics/religious/spiritual discussions. Which was why all my humanities courses in university were all in religious studies. :)

PK - What did you mean by "accountability issues"? That I hold Him accountable for wars, disease, famine and other forms of suffering? And that I would prefer to not believe in God than the horror of the alternative - that the universe was created by a higher power that does not care about the suffering here on Earth?

On the other issue, mayhaps you are correct. As I've said before, I'm a utilitarianist (for the most part - the chopping up a baby exception is problematic, but otherwise it works). But a friend of mine pondered why I was utilitarianist. Why give any money to charity? Why not be Satanist (our time on earth is short, so we should spend it in whatever way gives us the maximum pleasure, even if it caused suffering for others - because others would do the same in similar circumstances)? I'm sure I could take the money I donate to charity and spend it on lap dances at the local strip clubs... yet I don't. And I don't know why. I countered my friend with a silly "well, I would hope that if I do good for others, others would do good for me" and "the world would be a better place if everyone was a decent person, so it why not start with me". Didn't believe it at the time that I said it.. truth of the matter is that I didn't know. And don't know. It's just who I am.

It's an odd existance when you haven't the foggiest idea what the motivation is behind all the actions you make.

Don, I'm thinking that you have a genuine care about other people. And thus donating money is a way to make you feel better.

Caring for others is not something that is neccesarily religous, and I don't really think anyone would donate money with the thought that "this $2.000 donation is sure gonna look good when i die".

Maybe we should get this away from me. I'm no Jesus. I know a lot better people than I.

Swede: I actually think that is why most people put money in the collection plate on Sunday.

I guess my question really is "Why care?" If there is no God, why not try to maximize pleasure than minimize suffering?

Swede: I actually think that is why most people put money in the collection plate on Sunday.

I guess my question really is "Why care?" If there is no God, why not try to maximize pleasure than minimize suffering?

I don't think so... people, I think, do it because they are supposed to do it. If they don't they will show themselves different...and you don't wan't to be doing that :o

Maybe that can be a source of ones religion... the fact that we (most of us) care about others and their wellbeing can be a sign that there is a god... ouch, that was deep :unsure: