2024 New York Mets Season Thread

27 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’d say I’m getting a Ryan Howard vibe from Alonso, but that wouldn’t be fair to Howard, who was an MVP and helped the Phillies win a World Championship.  Perhaps Richie Sexon or Ron Kittle is a better comparison.

Howard was plenty beastly from 2005-09:  .279/.376/.586 slash, .962 OPS, 50 HR and 144 RBI per 162 GP.  He was a big-time whiffer but when you can hit for a solid average AND drive in so many runs, you'll live with the Ks.  It is fair to point out that he played his home games in bandboxes.  

He was still good in 2010-11 (.265/.350/.497, .847 OPS, 35 HR and 127 RBI per 162 GP)...not as fearsome, but still a good solid power bat.  From his Age 32 season on he was a shell of himself...basically he looked then like Pete's starting to look now...a guy who could still hit some dingers and occasionally have a big day, but prone to way too many strikeouts and simply not able to get enough hits or get on base nearly enough.

Funny that you mention Howard, because honestly this is how I see Alonso's career winding down.  Howard slashed .226/.292/.427 over his final 545 games, played over 5 seasons...that encompassed his Age 32 - 36 seasons.  Sadly Alonso might turn out to be one of those guys who simply didn't have a very long prime...it's not that uncommon to see that with pitchers these days (just ask Matt Harvey and Noah Syndergaard), but occasionally you see that with hitters too.  What makes it doubly sad with Alonso is that it's not like David Wright or Don Mattingly's situation, where their bodies simply betrayed them.  Alonso appears to be plenty healthy...but fading fast.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Howard was plenty beastly from 2005-09:  .279/.376/.586 slash, .962 OPS, 50 HR and 144 RBI per 162 GP.  He was a big-time whiffer but when you can hit for a solid average AND drive in so many runs, you'll live with the Ks.  It is fair to point out that he played his home games in bandboxes.  

He was still good in 2010-11 (.265/.350/.497, .847 OPS, 35 HR and 127 RBI per 162 GP)...not as fearsome, but still a good solid power bat.  From his Age 32 season on he was a shell of himself...basically he looked then like Pete's starting to look now...a guy who could still hit some dingers and occasionally have a big day, but prone to way too many strikeouts and simply not able to get enough hits or get on base nearly enough.

Funny that you mention Howard, because honestly this is how I see Alonso's career winding down.  Howard slashed .226/.292/.427 over his final 545 games, played over 5 seasons...that encompassed his Age 32 - 36 seasons.  Sadly Alonso might turn out to be one of those guys who simply didn't have a very long prime...it's not that uncommon to see that with pitchers these days (just ask Matt Harvey and Noah Syndergaard), but occasionally you see that with hitters too.  What makes it doubly sad with Alonso is that it's not like David Wright or Don Mattingly's situation, where their bodies simply betrayed them.  Alonso appears to be plenty healthy...but fading fast.  

Howard was never the same after he ruptured his Achilles tendon running out of the batter’s box in the 2011 NLDS versus the Cardinals, so you could make an argument his body betrayed him as well, hastening his decline.  What happened to Wright and Mattingly was nothing short of tragic, as both had HOF-caliber peaks but couldn’t sustain their production due to their well-chronicled lower-back problems.  Wright also had the disadvantage of playing at Citi Field before the fences were moved in, whereas Mattingly played in a park perfectly suited to his swing.

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Howard was never the same after he ruptured his Achilles tendon running out of the batter’s box in the 2011 NLDS versus the Cardinals, so you could make an argument his body betrayed him as well, hastening his decline.  What happened to Wright and Mattingly was nothing short of tragic, as both had HOF-caliber peaks but couldn’t sustain their production due to their well-chronicled lower-back problems.  Wright also had the disadvantage of playing at Citi Field before the fences were moved in, whereas Mattingly played in a park perfectly suited to his swing.

I remember the initial Citi dimensions; they were absurd.  Wright hit just 10 HR during Citi's first season (and it's not like he was tearing it up on the road from a power standpoint that year, to be fair...he only had 5 HRs each at home AND on the road), but I read a story about an opponent who hit a ball that would've been a HR in a LOT of ballparks, but went for a deep fly ball out instead...as that player trotted back to his dugout, Wright muttered to him "Nice fvckin' ballpark, right?"

• Like 1

Kelenic has gone fully back to showing that he may never figure out how to hit in the majors with anything resembling consistency:

Last 18 games (15 starts):  58 PA, 8 hits, 4 BB, 23 K, .148/.207/.167 slash, .374 OPS (yikes).

When even the Braves can't find a way to get something out of you...

• Vomiting 1

Back to .500 for a night, and coming back from 3-0.  Alonso actually showed a pulse.

Another guy that I think of and worry about when looking at Alonso's age and trajectory is Chris Davis. He hit 30 and absolutely cratered

I'm totally torn as to what to do with him. Have to see where he is and where this team is once we get to the trade deadline. If he ends up having a .200 30hr 80rbi year...that's not a very good sign and not something that I am inclined to believe would be just a bump in the road before he picks up and hits 40+ with 110+ rbi's again in his 30s

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yeah Pete can ill afford another .210 year, even in a MLB world where batting average barely gets attention and Luis Arraez gets traded every year despite winning batting titles. You still can’t literally become a two true outcome player (HR-K) and expect a $250 million long term deal, especially with an OBP skirting under .300

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I absolutely trade Alonso by the deadline.  It sucks but it’s looking more and more like he’s one of those guys whose prime just wasn’t that long.  You still have your Benigno-types who are in love with Pete’s HRs and somehow completely ignore that Pete’s put up a .216 BA and .314 OB% over his last 190 games.  And it’s not like he’s ever consistently truly hit…prior to 2023 his career BA was .261.  You can obviously live with .260 or so because of his power, but trying to make do with a cleanup hitter who’s hitting .210 - .220…you just can’t do it and expect any consistency from your offense.

Nimmo finds a way to get on base (which of course is his primary job) even when his BA isn’t great…he’s only hitting .229 so far but he’s managed a .377 OB%…he’s one of those guys who can get away with a lower batting average better than many.  Pete HAS to hit at least .260…otherwise he’s just going to strand way too many runners and become a real offense killer.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Of course. No hit by the Braves who will rub it in our face and laugh and we'll do nothing. Just go down like the gutless pukes they are. And get swept that's a given

Edited by '7'

And elsewhere after a pretty solid first season as a starter, Seth Lugo is cranking it up a notch in KC. Not great K numbers but who cares with 6-1, a 1.96 ERA and .66 WHIP? How we had this guy for years and never even gave him more than half a chance is beyond me.

Posted (edited)

And suffice it to say that Diaz is fully back to the Diaz that we all wanted to run out of town a while back.  Hard to see the Mets winning much more than 80 games max if this is what he’s going to be in 2024.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Diaz this year reminds me a little of Vinny in 2000 after his Achilles injury, in the sense Vinny was a borderline MVP in ‘98, gets hurt in ‘99 then comes back and is pretty underwhelming in 2000 with 25 picks, and he only really functioned in the hurry up offense.

Diaz isn’t quite 3-4 years ago bad yet, but he certainly hasn’t come back to being the same guy at this point. Maybe he never will and his 2022 will go along Doc’s 1985 as a meteor through the sky, never to be repeated.

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Diaz this year reminds me a little of Vinny in 2000 after his Achilles injury, in the sense Vinny was a borderline MVP in ‘98, gets hurt in ‘99 then comes back and is pretty underwhelming in 2000 with 25 picks, and he only really functioned in the hurry up offense.

Diaz isn’t quite 3-4 years ago bad yet, but he certainly hasn’t come back to being the same guy at this point. Maybe he never will and his 2022 will go along Doc’s 1985 as a meteor through the sky, never to be repeated.

Yeah Diaz has actually been more Benitez-like, if anything.  You look at Diaz's numbers so far and overall they're not bad, really.

But he's given up 3 HR over his last 7 IP, and has blown two out of three saves.  Hopefully it's just a slump, but Diaz strikes me as a guy who loses his confidence a little more easily than many.  What sucks is that the Mets can't have him be just another closer...they're not good enough to overcome too many blown saves.  

Man, check out this slash from the start of 2022:

.223/.265/.346, good for an OPS of 71.

The Tigers signed up for 6 years and $140 million of Javier Baez.  Wow has that deal turned out to be as rotten as it gets.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man, check out this slash from the start of 2022:

.223/.265/.346, good for an OPS of 71.

The Tigers signed up for 6 years and $140 million of Javier Baez.  Wow has that deal turned out to be as rotten as it gets.  

He’s always been a streaky and high swing-and-miss player, but it’s amazing how badly he’s fallen off.  He still fields his position well, but that’s not why Detroit signed him.  The next three years are going to be rough.

15 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

He’s always been a streaky and high swing-and-miss player, but it’s amazing how badly he’s fallen off.  He still fields his position well, but that’s not why Detroit signed him.  The next three years are going to be rough.

At his peak (2017-21), he was still an extremely flawed bat, but at least brought some things to the table...yeah, his OB% for that stretch was absolutely not good enough (.312), with an insane amount of Ks (726 in 640 GP) to boot, but he hit a decent .271, and managed 34 HR, 97 RBI, and 16 SB per 162 GP.  His OPS+ was for those years was 111...not great, but definitely not rotten.

But he's basically turned into Rey Ordonez, with more power and a LOT more strikeouts.  For Ordonez's career, he slashed .246/.289/.310, with a OPS+ of 59...yes, that's really REALLY fvcking terrible, but at least he was pretty good at putting the ball in play...his K% for his career was a smidge under 10.  Since signing with Detroit, Baez of course is at .223/.265/.346, with a OPS+ of 71...and his K% is 23.5.  As flawed as Baez has always been, the fact that he can actually be mentioned in the same breath with Ordonez (who was NEVER expected to hit much)...that's as rock bottom as it gets.  

• Like 1

Lindor now down to .199 after going hitless in his first AB.  Goddamn I’m so fvcking sick of this guy just always being…LESS.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lindor now down to .199 after going hitless in his first AB.  Goddamn I’m so fvcking sick of this guy just always being…LESS.

When Lindor was in Cleveland, I thought he was the best offensive shortstop in the American League.  He looks like a shell of that player now.