Fedorov Upping His Game

insanity_gallops

First of all, it's clear that he's stepping it up with the absence of Steve Yzerman, and that he's one of the main reasons the Red Wings are winning games.

Secondly, I just saw an episode of NHL Cool Shots where they interviewed Fedorov and he said that this season he wants to "play [his] best hockey," because the world has not seen him at his best... yet. Now if that's not a scary thought, I don't know what is.

Off the top of my head...top 5 talent guys in the league.

Lemieux

Kovalev

Jagr

Sundin

Kariya

Bure

Modano

Forsberg

Federov

Yashin

Obviously this is an impossible list to come up with. How do you rank guys like Kovalchuk, Comire, Iginla, and others? Even Lindros from a talent perspective. I remember someone said that if stuff made the Hall of Fame Eric Plunk would be there. How many guys are like that. Can do it all, just for whatever reason never put up the numbers.

Clearly Mario is on everyone's list. After that it is more preference than anything else.

Wow, nice Eric Plunk reference.. there's a former Yankee I had forgotten about.

Fedorov is a lot like Niedermayer in that people are disappointed with his numbers.. but like Niedermayer, there's a question as to whether Fedorov is being held back by coaching or by himself.. this is the same Fedorov who has been asked to play defense by Bowman on occasion, so it's not like he has the same opportunities as a Modano.

Fedorov sure is turning on the production in a contract year.. Niedermayer isn't.. maybe there's the difference.

Fedorov is a great player. He's solid in all facets of the game and this year, he's putting it all together. This is the best he's played in several years.

He always steps up when Yzerman's out.

I never understood why Feds doesn't do this all the time. I agree with the Niedermayer comparison.

But Feds is better.

Off the top of my head...top 5 talent guys in the league.

Lemieux

Kovalev

Jagr

Sundin

Kariya

Bure

Modano

Forsberg

Federov

Yashin

I was just checking out the league leaders stats, and clearly it's too early in the season to draw real conclusions. But, who would you rather have on your team, Alexei Kovalev with 11g 13a 24pts at -10, or Martin St. Louis with 11g 12a 23pts at +5? Sure, Kovalev probably has more raw talent, but it's really tough to pick out top talent guys. Fedorov is only ranked 28th right now with 18 pts and a +2.

Personally, I think stats are all well and good and can be used to support a player's greatness... sometimes. In the case of Fedorov, he's got a point a game and so he's on pace or 80+ points, and he hasn't done that in a long time. For St. Louis, I don't expect him to keep this pace up throughout the year. They got off to a really hot start, but I expect the Bolts to cool off for a while later in the season.

Also, I'd rather have Kovalev simply because of the intangibles the guy brings to the table. The other team focuses on shutting him down, and he still puts up those points. And he's a proven scorer, while St. Louis is kind of a shock thus far. Same goes for Fedorov. I don't care if he's got 15 points less than someone like Tony Amonte (clearly this is hypothetical), Fedorov brings so much more than his point total to the ice.

The distinction I made was based on talent. You cannot compare St. Louis and Kovalev. Based on numbers (this year only) you can make an arguement, but if your the GM of Tampa and Craig Patrick is on the other line offering AK for St. Louis you have to hold back from pissing yourself.

Also talent is a hard thing to judge, very subjective. How many Neidermyer types are out there that you just don't know about because they do not play in the metro area? Guys who for whatever reason just do not put up the numbers but skill wise are as good as they come?

Take a guy like Ozolinsh from Florida. How many defensemen are more talented that that guy? My guess is not too many, however there are many defensemen I'd want on my team over him. Same thing with a guy like Wade Redden, how do you jugde those guys?