How soon could the season start?

msweet

LINK

How soon is now?

By Paul Grant - SportingNews

The panel at Sportsnet's HockeyCentral in Canada figured out how long it would take for part of a season to be salvaged if the NHL and NHLPA were to sign a collective bargaining agreement:

Working out the economics of a salary cap or luxury tax: 4 days

Ratification of the CBA: 2 days

Notification of and travel by players: 3 days

Training camps: 5 days

Miscellaneous logistics, such as striking new deals with player feeder systems, such as the International Ice Hockey Federation: 4 days

That comes to 18 days, and that doesn't include time for teams to sign about 400 free agents.

Well, there's always next season.

Paul Grant is a managing editor for Sporting News.

So let's say they start negotiating tomorrow and include that in his 4 days of negotiating.

That means the season could start at the earliest on Feb 13.

That's ugly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless they want the Stanley Cup to be played in August.....it dosent make much sense.

They screwed up this sport...all of them....at this point, they can all go to hell.

Nice job by all, you players AND owners helped lose jobs for people that REALLY need them, not some 3rd line player makeing 1.4 million who will not have any trouble paying the bills.

What a joke.

Unless they want the Stanley Cup to be played in August.....it dosent make much sense.

They screwed up this sport...all of them....at this point, they can all go to hell.

Nice job by all, you players AND owners helped lose jobs for people that REALLY need them, not some 3rd line player makeing 1.4 million who will not have any trouble paying the bills.

What a joke.

That's quite misleading. People still had disposible income and people still spent it. Nobody said "Oh, that $500 that I used to spend on NHL hockey tickets can't be used this year, so I'll throw it in the fireplace". The study done in Winnipeg showed that losing the Jets was at worst a draw for the city and at best a boon. The reason is that for all the disposible income that WAS being spent on the NHL team, 80% of that revenue was leaving the community. It was going into bank accounts to be saved, it was going to the players home-towns, it was going everywhere EXCEPT back into the community. After the Jets left, that disposable income started going into local theatre, movies, restaurants, the Blue Bombers (where most of the players LIVE in Winnipeg).... so the money was spent IN THE COMMUNITY, meaning more jobs IN THE COMMUNITY.

They start on Feb. 13th, that's enough time to have a 24-30 game season. I tell you if there's only 24 games, how AWESOME would it be to just play our division?! Imagine playing the Rags and Flyers on a constant basis, how intense would the rivalry get?! Especially since Lou added a lot of muscle to the club, BRING EM ON!!

Man I just want hockey! I just want to sit on Scott Stevens lap and bounc... :unsure: nevermind :evil:

Yes I realise I take all of my hockey excitement and channel it toward this poor unsuspecting hockey player... :saddevil: See Mr. Stevens imagine taking all of the emotion that hockey evokes in you and transfering it to ONE SINGLE PERSON!!! How flipping SCARY is that to think about -- me unleashing my unbridled raw emotion oh oh... oh never mind again! :evil:

can we please just stop even THINKING about a "this season" ? Please can we just say it's not happening. I hate feeling how I feel today... :saddevil:

:evilcry:

Now it's time to hit the road and skid my stupid Volvo home... YUCK! The longer I wait the closer death comes to my door.... or the insurance guy... :(

Edited by Darwindog

Feb 13th would give us 11 weeks until "playoffs" (my cutoff was the 1st week of May). 3-4 games a week, that's 39 games. 28 of those could be against the rest of the Atlantic (7 games per), leaving 11 games for intra-conference (As close geographically as possible). I could live with that.

Personally I don't see a season happening, but we can always hope.

-Dan