Amid canceled season, NHL faces financial meltdown

hattrick

This post is for '7' and Larry Brooks... :P

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/20...l-trouble_x.htm

In 1999, Ted Leonsis, an America Online officer worth hundreds of millions of dollars, knowingly made the stupidest investment of his life.

"(Commissioner) Bettman is the lightning rod for everything that's wrong with the sport," says David Carter, a USC professor.

By Paul Chiasson, AP/CP

He put his money into the National Hockey League, buying the Washington Capitals for $85 million

and that 3 o'clock on a saturday afternoon is a horrible time slot, especially coming out of winter/football season when people are getting stir crazy and just want to get out for a few hours on the weekend after having been locked inside for months. Better marketing (so you would know who is going to be on and when), as well as a better time slot (why not make a Sunday night at 8pm game - other than the simpsons, there's nothing worth watching on sunday night after football season is over) - advertise it heavily and give it a year or three to start to catch on - like hockey night in canada, or monday night football, it just becomes an institution, it's what you do, every week.

(although, i really just have no answer for nascar and its ratings)

The author also makes it sound as though the 2000 Devils were something other than the 2nd-highest scoring team in the league. They did not get there only by having good defense.

Other than that, I think the article was very very good.

Bettman deserves immense blame for the current state of the league. His management was extremely poor.

Vis a vis the current negotiation with the PA, however, I think Bettman deserves a lot of credit for wishing to implement a system that is grounded in reality. The players don't appear to have any sense of reality whatsoever, and I believe they deserve the lion's share of the blame for the failed negotiation.

The author also makes it sound as though the 2000 Devils were something other than the 2nd-highest scoring team in the league.  They did not get there only by having good defense.

Other than that, I think the article was very very good.

Bettman deserves immense blame for the current state of the league.  His management was extremely poor.

Vis a vis the current negotiation with the PA, however, I think Bettman deserves a lot of credit for wishing to implement a system that is grounded in reality.  The players don't appear to have any sense of reality whatsoever, and I believe they deserve the lion's share of the blame for the failed negotiation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:hail::hail::hail:

I read that article on the way back from a trip to St. Louis this weekend. Two things stick out for me:

1. Absolutely no mention of fighting. Anywhere. Am I the only one in the world who sees a decrease in interest in hockey paralleling a decrease in fighting?

2. I wonder why the NHL wouldn't allow Bettman to comment for the story, or why Bettman chose not to?

<JESTER>

supposedly game 5 of the 2000 cup finals was the most watched hockey game since game 7 in 1994, don't know about the rest of the ratings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's it. That's all you have. I thought since you are so pro player's union, you would have more than just a comment about a Game 5 of a SC final. I am very disappointed in you. C'mon. You can do more than that. :evil: It must be that this article is right on the money and that you agree with the other points. :P

I thought it was a good article. I don't know what else to say, guess I'm suffering from battle fatigue with this whole nhl/nhlpa thing. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since you are a GM, and your rank is much higher than mine, I have no choice but to let you slide this time. :D

1. Absolutely no mention of fighting. Anywhere. Am I the only one in the world who sees a decrease in interest in hockey paralleling a decrease in fighting?

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, you are not the only one. I believe the instigator should be rescinded or, at the very least, altered.

Melrose says it best, "No one ever leaves their seat when a fight breaks out...except to get a better view."