Stars Vs Flyers & Devils This Week

Nieuwy25

This is going to be a really interesting week for Dallas. Tonight they play Hitch's Flyers, & Saturday they face Nieuwy & Langenbrunner for the first time (& in between they get the Red Wings!). It's going to be really emotional for them. There were good articles in a Philly paper & in the Dallas Morning News that make Hitch seem more nervous & emotional about tonight's game than he would like to admit. As much as I admire what Hitch did here, I gotta hope his team loses tonight.

Brenden Morrow has already said it's going to be hard to play against Joe & Jamie Saturday. And I imagine Elias feels the same way about Arnott. That game tape is definitely gonna be a keeper for me. I can't wait!

When Nieuwendyk gets a goal, he will get onto a streak. Elias will almost certainly get onto a hot scoring streak here in the next week. A 3 game in 4 night stretch is just what this team needs.

The trade talk will die down once Nieuwendyk gets a goal, except for (N)Єverson:

"Even though Nieuwendyk snapped his career-long scoring streak last night, there is still talk that his time has run out in New Jersey. One goal does not make up for his absolute failure to make an impact in more than half of New Jersey's games this season. Sources say that both St. Louis and Toronto are interested, and that the deal will be made before the holiday freeze, with the Devils paying some of Nieuwendyk's 5 million salary."

I should apply to the Post for (N)Єverson's job, I think..

Ohh, forgot about Elias & Gomer- these guys are MIA for too long now.

So if you don't see goals, they're not doing anything for you?

I disagree on both counts. I've seen each of them be the best guy on the ice in the past two weeks and one of the best guys on the ice in many of the past three weeks.

Both of their games are changing. Gomez is trying to finish and Elias is trying to playmake a lot more than they usually have. When their linemates get used to what they can do, EVERYONE will benefit.

I really don't consider them MIA at all. (Obviously we'd all love tons more goals.)

Agree with 16w. Let's get one goal before we think about 4.

This guy Joey N is dying on the vine.

You know, we're just having some fun here. I mean, a guy who's struggling we're not placing bets on him getting No. 500 against his former team. Just saying it would be nice and a pretty interesting storyline.

I don't really believe the trade rumors that the press are putting out there - but at the same time, I can't wait til the 19th has come and gone! I just can't imagine how he & his family would feel - getting traded again so soon. I know, I know - it happens; it's just part of hockey & all that. But it would still bite big time!

Ohh, forgot about Elias & Gomer- these guys are MIA for too long now.

So if you don't see goals, they're not doing anything for you?

I disagree on both counts. I've seen each of them be the best guy on the ice in the past two weeks and one of the best guys on the ice in many of the past three weeks.

Both of their games are changing. Gomez is trying to finish and Elias is trying to playmake a lot more than they usually have. When their linemates get used to what they can do, EVERYONE will benefit.

I really don't consider them MIA at all. (Obviously we'd all love tons more goals.)

Elias is supposed to be a scorer, not playmaker. Gomez is supposed to be the playmaker, not goal scorer.

Elias is not a Center, he is a natural LW. Why he plays C, I do not know, but for some reason, Lou Really Really Really wants him there. (Maybe to make things seem okay after dealing Arnott for Newy.)

Elias is trying to playmake a lot more than they usually have.

Elias leads the Devils with 76 shots on goal (And only 6 goals to show for it), that tells me he is shooting instead of passing. If he is "trying" to playmake more, he sucks at it. Please, Move him back to LW and let him score some goals from the same place he's always scored them. Unfortutanatly, I do not think Elias is trying anymore. Even in the beginning of this season, he looked like he had some heart. He was skating, scoring, playing defense, he was everywhere. Now, I don't even know when he's on the ice. Elias has no heart at all, the A on his jersey has to go to Kenny, Elias doesn't deserve it at all. Elias complained about Burns, complained about his ice time, complained about getting benched, complained that Arnott and Sykora left, complained he still hasn't shakin off the A-line syndrom. Well, if Elias had 14 goals by now, which he should've, then he could get away with coments like those. But Elias repeatly shoots the puck wide, fans on shoots, etc. He looks like absolutly NOTHING like he did in 2001. Where is the Elias of 2001? He is half in Dallas, and half in Anahiem.

. When their linemates get used to what they can do, EVERYONE will benefit.

We are about 1/3 into the season and there still ain't no chemistry??? :rolleyes:

Well thanks for telling me who everyone is supposed to be. I wasn't sure.

He sucks at it, does he? Let's talk about some goals from the past couple weeks (Gionta in Philly in OT, to Brylin in Ottawa last week). He does not SUCK at it. I've seen a lot of through the crease passes that Sykora woulda been there for last year. Guys are starting to get to them and know what he's up to and that's good.

Like I always say, what's there to argue about Elias' goals? He doesn't have them. It's a slump. Our bitching and moaning certainly won't make him score.

However, seeing him with his head up and looking for the play and the puck following him around like it did at the Ottawa game, well, I think he's coming out of it.

Contrast that with Nieuwy, whose head is down and who is gripping his stick very tightly. He is in serious need of a garbage goal to loosen them up.

And I've been through this before, but I'm not familiar with you, so I'll say it one more time. The media goes to Elias because he has the A, because he is the go-to guy. They ask him questions and he answers with what's on his mind. What he says is what he feels: he'd like to be on the ice more (he's getting paid for it so I think the majority here would agree with that), and that he's having trouble finding the same chemistry with his linemates (not that he's not trying to do it, just that it hasn't come through.)

If you listen to his actual quotes things like "they're gone... it's a business... and you find a way to go on" and you'd realize he isn't the kind to let a trade get to him.

I think he has great heart. He has great pride in his game and didn't have it quite as easy as the Euros who get tagged with a slacker tag.

Also, he is now a leader on this team by virtue of his paycheck. He has scored or been a crucial part a great deal of this team's game-winning goals of note (from postseason to OT) and so he is worthy of the A in my book.

There's no emotional tie linking him to Anaheim and Dallas. The rest of the league is just looking for him now, that's all. With less threats than Arnott and Sykora around, it really is easier to focus on him. And re: all the shots on goal, he puts them there, it will be nice if others are there for the rebound. All shots on goal are not attempts at scoring.

Elias leads the Devils with 76 shots on goal (And only 6 goals to show for it), that tells me he is shooting instead of passing. If he is "trying" to playmake more, he sucks at it. Please, Move him back to LW and let him score some goals from the same place he's always scored them. Unfortutanatly, I do not think Elias is trying anymore. Even in the beginning of this season, he looked like he had some heart. He was skating, scoring, playing defense, he was everywhere. Now, I don't even know when he's on the ice. Elias has no heart at all, the A on his jersey has to go to Kenny, Elias doesn't deserve it at all. Elias complained about Burns, complained about his ice time, complained about getting benched, complained that Arnott and Sykora left, complained he still hasn't shakin off the A-line syndrom. Well, if Elias had 14 goals by now, which he should've, then he could get away with coments like those. But Elias repeatly shoots the puck wide, fans on shoots, etc. He looks like absolutly NOTHING like he did in 2001. Where is the Elias of 2001? He is half in Dallas, and half in Anahiem.

Tell us how you really feel about him Nothing.

Actually Elias is a true center, that is the position he played before he was with the Devils. So its not to say this is a new thing for him.

He hasnt said anything about Burns(i dont remember when he did this at all so far), about ice time, and about the former A-Line in a while now. He is adjusting finally. Learning new teammates after over 2 years of playing with the same 2 guys takes time. For some guys more then others. He has been creating for his linemates of late and that is a good thing.

He is adjusting finally. Learning new teammates after over 2 years of playing with the same 2 guys takes time. For some guys more then others. He has been creating for his linemates of late and that is a good thing.

THANK you Sarge, at least someone else agrees with me on this.

Elias isn't the Elias of old because he's not with the same linemates that he grew comfortable with and played with for 2 years, and every one of them knew where the other linemates were at all times. To go from that into being on a line with one other person you've played with before is a huge change, and adjustments must be made.

Well, he's making them now. He's looking better with each game, I think, since this slump started.

I also think Elias is one player who wants Burns to put him on a line and keep that line together for a few games. I vote to either put him on a line with Nieuwendyk and Brylin or Brylin and Friesen.

I missed that and since then I've missed it ever since.

What I DID see was Hatcher leveling Roenick. Not the same as the Syk hit, but I got chills looking at him knocking him down at the blue line. And then I'm like, OK, Roenick.

It was a hit from behind on Modano?

And back to our convo...

I agree with Iggy. Whenever Elias is asked about his line he says something like "I think we're starting to get something going." And then the next game Burns changes it up. So I guess Patty prefers stability.

Both those line combinations sound very good to me. He works well with Gomez, but I don't think it's necessary to match them up since they can playmake for others and create more of a threat on TWO lines if they're split up.

What's Elias supposed to say when he has an 'A' on his patch? "Burns sucks and has no idea how to use me properly."

Because as good a coach as he is, he has totally misused Elias.

Maybe Elias should have some guts and have a closed door meeting with him. Leaders are supposed to be able to do that stuff.

I just got home and watched the 1st period on tape. I don't think it was a vicious hit on Modano, but Roenick did come in from behind him, and check him hard into the boards. Got a 5 minute major for it. Apparently the glass at FU is the old unforgiving kind. Modano looked really bad. After he finally got up and they were helping him off the ice, his legs gave out completely and he couldn't even hold himself up. They suspect a concussion. Man, I hope he's okay. He's really taken some bad hits over the years. He's really lucky he hasn't had worse concussions than he has had.

On the topic of slumping goal scorers & new linemates/systems, this is very much like the season Pierre Turgeon had last year when he came over to the Stars. He had a *22* game goal-less streak going at this time last year. He had a particular kind of game that the Stars forwards weren't used to. He liked to set up behind the net and pass the puck to a winger in front of the net. And he wasn't used to the Stars' system, either. It took most of the year for him & the other forwards to figure out how to play together. Hockey players aren't robots! They have habits and tendencies and strengths and weaknesses, and they all have to learn everyone else's. Sometimes it comes together quickly, sometimes it takes awhile. We just have to remain patient. The skill & heart are there. The scoring will come.

JR's hit was really bad. Completely from behind and had time to back out of the hit but decided to go for it and bash Mondano's head into the glass.

Really glad to hear Hatcher leveled that punk. He deserves to get hurt. JR and Theo are alike, except I would prefer Theo over JR anyday of the week.

Let's just go and check star players from behind, that's pretty legal. Oh well, picked the wrong team to sign with cause they will choke and I will be happy. I hate the Flyers more than the Rag$ at some points of the season just basically cause the Rag$ don't give us much threat in the standings anymore, even if they do play 6 more games. Flyers should be our #1 rival right now.

You know that JR & Dallas (that's appropriate!) have a history since his days in Phoenix. That, plus his recent hit on the Leaf (Svehla?) make this suspicious, but I just didn't think he was coming in with the intent to hurt. I don't think he hit anyone else the rest of the game. He seemed kind of shook up about it. But he could have avoided it, for sure.