Man the shuttle is never going to fly

DevilMinder

Enterprise was still around, but last I heard most of her systems were gutted for parts. :noclue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Enterprise was never a fully functional ship and only a mock up which tested the guidance and gliding ability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. She was never fitted for spaceflight, but I remember when NASA was building and adding to its shuttle fleet some person or agency asked why couldn't they save money by upgrading the Enterprise over building another from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, 5,500miles and hour..after only taking off like 2 minute ago... i cant even think about that... scary

Edited by langsgirl

Enterprise was still around, but last I heard most of her systems were gutted for parts. :noclue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Enterprise was never a fully functional ship and only a mock up which tested the guidance and gliding ability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. She was never fitted for spaceflight, but I remember when NASA was building and adding to its shuttle fleet some person or agency asked why couldn't they save money by upgrading the Enterprise over building another from scratch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enterprise is now in the new Air & Space Museum over in Dulles, VA and you can walk around in it. So I don't think it is going out in space anytime soon.

It really, really bothers me that they're launching the thing without knowing what's wrong with the system that isn't working.  If they had any sort of sense they'd scrap the whole thing.  There has to be pressure coming from the higher ups to force something like this through.  And that scares me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what i read the AM, the sensor worked fine during tests today, they donot know whay it failed but have narrowed it down to 3 things form an original list of about 159.

they said that the only way to know which 1 of the 3 caused the failure is if it failed during flight. And if it failed during flight it would not be a big deal beacuase there are 3 other sensor for the same reason .

• 2 weeks later...

For any that may have missed it and want to watch the shuttle's return to flight: Clicky. Total playtime is around 21 minutes (obviously there's somewhat more to this than just actual launch :P). This download is produced by HDNet so it looks quite good (i.e., it's HDTV-quality - it's not as good as watching it live on HDNet does since the download's resolution is 720p instead of 1080i but still very good nonetheless). Also I'll warn you that it's very large and needs a relatively modern computer to keep up when playing it - on the order of around 1.3 GB, so people still on dial-up and / or with anything under, say a 2 GHz Pentium 4 need not apply. :D