Met$ mght get Manny Ramirez

LOTCB

Met$ $ox and Ray$?

Report: Red Sox, Mets working on three-way deal for Ramirez

July 30, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com staff

The Boston Red Sox appear ready to grant Manny Ramirez his wish to be traded, with talks heating up for a three-way trade with the New York Mets and Tampa Bay Devil Rays, according to a report in the Boston Globe on Saturday.

he amount of money involved in the deal, especially the $64 million owed Ramirez over the final 3

Pedro would love Manny on the mets.  They are supposedly best buds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and both need to be thrown into padded rooms along with Fischler...

Mets seem cursed though, the second Manny gets here you'll see him hit .240

The Red Sox game is on inHD and they said that Manny just asked for another day off and not to read anything into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except for the fact that Manny's a KOOK and is probably taking another 'screw you Boston' day off because of the swirling trade rumors :lol:

Can the Mets just trade for Huff and Lugo? They could use both players longer-term. Forget Manny, the Mets aren't going anywhere this year anyway :P

Yeah the Mets turn cheap when it coms to A-Rod or Guerrero, but offer them Mo Vaughn? Fred can't get him fast enough :rolleyes: With the new network I thought that would change but apparently the Mets didn't want to assume all of Manny's deal (never mind that they're making up $15 million of the difference with Cameron).

And even the Mets' payroll is $70-80 million less than the Yankees, so I don't want to hear Yankee fans crying about other fans crying about their money :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Mets are doing their usual August disappearing act...I would welcome Manny as a reason to watch for the rest of the season..realistically were not winning the series for a long time, why not make as exciting as possible (tixxs will be going up wether they get him or not) IMHO

Personally, I'm tired of all the $ crap. Enough's enough. I am sick of Lupica writing the same recycled columns every week. And I'm just tired in general of seeing it.

Both teams aren't cheap. End of story.

LOL.. Manny now says he wants to stay in Boston. He's such a funny guy. He referrred to himself as a 'gangster.' :lol:

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=132061&hubName=main

Now Manny wants to stay in Boston

Associated Press

7/31/2005 1:58:00 PM

BOSTON (AP) - Boston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez broke his silence on the trade talks surrounding him Sunday, interrupting the manager's morning press briefing to say, "I want to be with this team and win another World Series."

In a bizarre scene - even for the ever-tumultuous Red Sox clubhouse - clubhouse clown Kevin Millar led Ramirez into manager Terry Francona's office before the game against Minnesota and said Manny had decided to talk.

While Millar mock-translated from Ramirez's easily understood English into gibberish, Ramirez said he had no problem with Francona, his teammates or the fans.

"I'm just here to play and win. I'm a gangster," he said about four hours before the non-waiver trading deadline. "I'm still here. I'm here to win. I'm here to help this team win for 2005."

Ramirez was not in the lineup for Sunday's game against the Twins - the second consecutive game he has sat out to "clear his head." Francona said he thought the time off was working.

"You see him. He looks OK," the manager said. "He looks like he's handling things he wasn't handling a couple days ago. I wasn't sure about that yesterday; that's why he didn't play.

"I wasn't sure he was in a position to help us."

Ramirez leads the majors with 92 RBIs, but he's also one of the leading headaches in a Boston clubhouse that credits its chemistry for ending an 86-year title drought.

Though both Francona and Ramirez denied there are any problems between them, the manager also acknowledged that he doesn't expect a 25-man roster to make it through a 162-game season without flareups.

"You can't have a perfect ballclub. You can't have a ballclub and not have raised voices. It's supposed to be like that," Francona said. "That's pretty much the way it's been every year. Have a couple fiascos and he drives in 140 - I hope it continues."

Francona said he didn't expect any more problems from Ramirez this season.

"They're done. You saw him," he told reporters. "I think it helped him" to have the time off.

Ramirez was booed by the Fenway Park crowd on Friday night and did not play on Saturday night. But when he came onto the field for the post-game handshake, a section of the crowd broke into a brief "Manny!" chant.

"It doesn't bother me, man," he said. "This is not my first time getting booed."

Added Francona, with a laugh: "It's not your first rodeo."

In a staged talk with sparks of spontaneity, Francona told reporters that Ramirez wanted to speak to the media with him to dispel reports that they didn't get along. The manager wasn't convinced it was necessary.

"Manny and I wanted to have an opportunity where me and him were together, so people don't think we're going to kill each other," Francona said. "He really wanted to speak to you guys with me. I think it was pretty cool."

Ramirez signed an eight-year, $160 million US contract during the baseball-wide spending spree after the 2000 season. Ramirez has produced, winning a batting title, a home run title and driving in 306 runs in the past two seasons while becoming the franchise's first World Series MVP.

But the contract has become a burden for a team trying to remain in contention and under budget. Under general manager Theo Epstein, the Red Sox have repeatedly tried to trade Ramirez, famously dangling him in an aborted deal for Alex Rodriguez after the '03 season.

For his part, Ramirez has complained that he has not been comfortable in Boston since leaving the spacious and relatively low-pressure Cleveland clubhouse. He has asked to be traded annually, but few teams are able to take on the $64 million remaining on his contract for the next three years.

The Red Sox had been in talks for a three-team deal that would send Ramirez to the Mets, but those talks stalled over New York's insistence that Boston take on a large part of the slugger's salary. This could be the last chance for Boston to unload him, because after the season he will have the right to veto any trade.

With rumours swirling as the 4 p.m. trade deadline approached, Francona met with Ramirez before Saturday night's game and gave him the weekend to clear his head; an off-day Monday gives him three days off. Francona said he would avoid using Ramirez as a pinch-hitter, but Ramirez said he's always willing to pitch in.

"It's good I'm getting the day off, but I'm here," Ramirez said. "If they need me, I'll play."

Both Francona and Ramirez seemed relaxed in front of reporters, but the scene left Francona shaking his head.

"This place," he said as the media began filing out, "it's not boring."

Personally, I'm tired of all the $ crap. Enough's enough. I am sick of Lupica writing the same recycled columns every week. And I'm just tired in general of seeing it.

Both teams aren't cheap. End of story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you criticizing me or Clown? Or both? Or neither?