Spector's trade rumors 08/01/2005

Rock

01 AUGUST 2005.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

BRUINS WORKING ON "HUGE" TRADE.

BOSTON HERALD: Stephen Harris reports Bruins GM Mike O'Connell is still working on what he claimed to be a "huge" trade, which he said will either happen or be dead by today.

Spector's Note: Hmmm, "huge" trade, eh? Wonder who that could involve? His initials wouldn't be "J.T." would they? We should probably find out by end of business today if anything comes of this.

STARS RE-SIGN ZUBOV.

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: reported yesterday the Stars have re-signed blueliner Sergei Zubov to a three-year contract. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. I'm posting this up because of the potential impact it may have to the Stars roster, particularly in re-signing Mike Modano.

PANTHERS TO PURSUE PRONGER.

PALM BEACH POST: Brian Biggane reports sources claim Florida Panthers GM Mike Keenan has held discussions with the St. Louis Blues regarding Chris Pronger, whom the Blues qualified this weekend but are thought to be shopping. Keenan denied he'd move promising young blueliner Jay Bouwmeester as part of a possible deal. Keenan is also expected to pursue a scoring forward in the UFA market, with Glen Murray, Ziggy Palffy, Peter Bondra, Alexei Kovalev and Gary Roberts mentioned as potential targets.

Spector's Note: The Blues simply aren't going to just give Pronger away. It'll cost any team, including the Panthers, at least one promising young player in return.

AUCOIN DECLINES ISLES OFFER.

NEWSDAY: Alan Hahn reports defenceman Adrian Aucoin rejected the four year, $13 million offer from the NY Islanders and is prepared to entertain offers from other clubs, although Isles GM Mike Milbury said he hopes to retain him. The Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers and Atlanta Thrashers are said to be interested in Aucoin. Regardless of Aucoin's status, the Isles are interested in adding another defenceman. Hahn cites Brian Rafalski or possibly Bryan Berard as possibilities, as well as Adam Foote or Mike Rathje. Milbury said he hopes to fill spots up front by re-signing Robert Nilsson and Petteri Nokelainen.

Spector's Note: Given the obvious gaps on the Islanders roster, it's hard to believe Milbury won't bring in some help at forward via free agency.

THE LATEST ON THE BLACKHAWKS.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Bob Foltman reports the Blackhawks are expected to make inquiries of Nikolai Khabibulin despite having qualified starting goalie Jocelyn Thibault yesterday. They're also in the market for a puck-moving defenceman after allowing Bryan Berard to become a UFA.

Spector's Note: The 'Hawks are a team with lots of cap space and should be one of the more active clubs in this summer's free agent market.

THE LATEST ON THE MAPLE LEAFS.

TORONTO STAR: Ken Campbell reported on what the immediate future might hold for Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts and Tie Domi, who became unrestricted free agents today. If the Leafs do re-sign Domi, they could either trade Wade Belak or send Nathan Perrot to the minors. Domi is reportedly seeking a two-year, $2 million contract and apparently wasn't impressed with the Leafs offer of one-year, $850K. There are reports the Pittsburgh Penguins could be interested in Domi, while the Florida Panthers, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Carolina Hurricanes and Ottawa Senators are said to be interested in Gary Roberts.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Wpramono". The Leafs may not be able to bring all three back. If the Pens are willing to pay Domi what he's seeking, the Leafs may not be able or willing to come up that high.

THE LATEST ON THE THRASHERS.

ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION: John Manasso reports the Thrashers could end up with a payroll in the low-$30 million range for this upcoming season. Manasso suggests that budget could put them in range to sign centers like Alexei Zhamnov and Bobby Holik and right wingers like Martin Lapointe and Darren McCarty.

Spector's Note: Splashy signings don't appear to be in the Thrashers future but rather those that can capably fill gaps on their second and third lines.

Would be nice to know Stevens Status, has not been talked about anywhere... worries me, if he was healthy and wanteds to play i think he would have done a deal in Nj already... I'm concernbed...

What does everyone think about Mike Rathje?? Alwasy inpessed me in SJ.

I like Rathje. I'd also like to see us take a shot at Aucoin if we can't work out a deal with Nieds. I've always been impressed by his play on the Isles, and he plays 28-29 minutes a night.

I like Rathje. I'd also like to see us take a shot at Aucoin if we can't work out a deal with Nieds. I've always been impressed by his play on the Isles, and he plays 28-29 minutes a night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Aucoin is a very capable defensman and would be a nice "replacement" for Nieds/Rafalski. While guys like Niedermayer and Pronger are getting all the press as to where they may wind up, I think Aucoin may fly off the radar and whoever gets him will be dancing in the streets. He'd be a great leader on any team.

If we don;t get Nieds we will need a D-man who plays 25 mins a night... or we'll be a team of 2nd and 3rd line d-men.

And as for Stevens.... as I said in a previous thread... he's entrenched in teh NJ community, his kid just enrolled in Delbarton, and he's going to complete the road ot hockey immortality by finnishing with the Devils.

Edited by msweet

Oh, I have no question that Stevens is "NJ or bust." My only concern at this point is "bust." Why don't we have a definitive confirmation that Stevens will be back, other than the point that MSweet is making?

And red -- in case you missed it he was cleared to play last November! I saw that in one of these articles somewhere. I thought Sheesh so he DIDN'T get cleared in October like he was trying but did in November. Or so that article said :noclue: