Key RFA's

sundstrom

I was thinking about the Elias/Hejduk conversation some of us were having the other day and it dawned on me that the Devils really should get something worked out soon with Patrik (whether it be him accepting the qualifier or agreeing on a long term deal) because I think we're gonna see teams try to steal RFA's with big offers that teams close to the cap can't match. I think Columbus knew what they were doing getting Nash signed long term. Here's a list of some important RFA's that could get big offers:

Dany Heatly

Ilya Kovalchuck

Nick Boyton

Joe Thorton

Jay Bouwmeester

Stephen Weiss

Patrik Elias

Martin Havlat

Marian Hossa

Jason Spezza

Robert Esche

Martin St. Louis

Vincent Lecavalier

Pavel Datsyuk

Henrik Zetterberg

David Legwand

Patrick Marleau

Brad Stuart

Marco Sturm

It's not Lou's style AT ALL, but at the present time, the cap number is about $24M with truly important guys to sign (Gomez, White, Langenbrunner, Elias, Martin). Perhaps Lou presents an offer sheet to one of the young offensive players and steals a guy. I think it's one of the Ottawa kids, if anyone as Atlanta has plenty of room to match both Kovalchuk and Heatley. Of course, if we did it, we'd have to dump someone to make room, but Havlat or Hossa are upgrades over any of our forwards not named Elias.

Thoughts?

Edited by sundstrom

Don't you also have to give up a bunch of draft picks to sign a RFA (if the qualifying offer is high enough)? I know some RFA's like Esche have a qualifying offer that's low enough you can get him for a third-rounder but obviously ones that are higher, you're talking first-round pick(s). So that would be more like a trade than actually stealing a guy.

The Devils can't do anything like that this year anyway, they'd have to dump like two or three players to make room for one big offer sheet and they can't really afford to dump depth.

Edited by Hasan4978

Don't you also have to give up a bunch of draft picks to sign a RFA (if the qualifying offer is high enough)?  I know some RFA's like Esche have a qualifying offer that's low enough you can get him for a third-rounder but obviously ones that are higher, you're talking first-round pick(s).  So that would be more like a trade than actually stealing a guy.

The Devils can't do anything like that this year anyway, they'd have to dump like two or three players to make room for one big offer sheet and they can't really afford to dump depth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$660,000 or below --None

Over $660,000-$1 million --3rd-round choice

Over $1M-$2M --2nd-round choice

Over $2M-$3M --1st-round choice and 3rd-round choice

Over $3M-$4M --1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-round choices

Over $4M-$5M --Two 1st-round choices, one 2nd- and one 3rd-round choice

Over $5 million --Four 1st-round choices

Edited by Voros19

I like it on paper but in reality I think the GMs have a gentleman's agreement not to steal RFAs from one another - I don't know what the draft pick penalty is in this CBA and I'm sure it's less than in the previous one, still - Lou won't be doing that anytime soon.

It is an interesting thought, making your division or conference rival struggle to free up enough cap room to keep the guy. But the Devils really don't have that room to play around with.