2/16 Mens Hockey Thread

Don

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:hail:

I never understood the player loyalty thing. I always root for the front of the jersey, not the back. I mean if a player you HATE is acquired by the Devils are ya gonna hope the Devils lose? If Brodeur is traded to Toronto or NYR, are you gonna follow him like you may have followed him to Team Canada? Please don't bring up "Oh that will never happen", that's not the point.

Bah.

First off there's a big difference between rooting for (or against) someone in a two-week tournament and doing it for years. Second of all there 'are' fans that root for players after they get traded, I'm not one of them but there are fans that think that way.

And I must be kinda jaded but I don't see the big deal in rooting for the flag only, not when you have more or less a mercenary feel to it anyway - players together only two weeks in basically an elongated All-Star competition. Yeah I'll root for Team USA in part cause of the three Devils on it and in part cause it's still the flag but other years, even '02 to an extent cause of Brodeur on the other side and him being the one to end Canada's schneid I was somewhat ambivalent towards losing by the end.

Edited by Hasan4978

:hail:

I never understood the player loyalty thing. I always root for the front of the jersey, not the back. I mean if a player you HATE is acquired by the Devils are ya gonna hope the Devils lose? If Brodeur is traded to Toronto or NYR, are you gonna follow him like you may have followed him to Team Canada? Please don't bring up "Oh that will never happen", that's not the point.

Bah.

Yes, I would. Marty is my favorite athlete in any sport. I'd become a fan of any team he joined. It would always be the following,

1. Devils

2. Marty

though.

First off there's a big difference between rooting for (or against) someone in a two-week tournament and doing it for years. Second of all there 'are' fans that root for players after they get traded, I'm not one of them but there are fans that think that way.

Yah but I hear people say 'I'm not rooting for Team USA because I don't like Richter and he's a Ranger', ok so because you don't like one player the rest of the players don't mean anything? Or 'I'm rooting for Team Canada because Marty and Niedermayer are Devils' so I guess the Devils on Team USA don't deserve support? Don't get me wrong, I was happy for Brodeur winning the Gold, but I rather he lost.

I know there are fans of players, but like i said, I don't get that concept. Just my opinion.

Yah but I hear people say 'I'm not rooting for Team USA because I don't like Richter and he's a Ranger', ok so because you don't like one player the rest of the players don't mean anything? Or 'I'm rooting for Team Canada because Marty and Niedermayer are Devils' so I guess the Devils on Team USA don't deserve support? Don't get me wrong, I was happy for Brodeur winning the Gold, but I rather he lost.

I know there are fans of players, but like i said, I don't get that concept. Just my opinion.

:clap: I agree 100%. When I watch the Olympics all I care about is the USA. When I watch the NHL all I care about is the Devils. Players on other teams are just the enemy. USA ALL THE WAY!

There are people that don't buy into all the rah rah jingoism associated with the Olympics and would rather see players they like win than players who just happen to live between the same arbitrary borders as they do.

I can like foreign athletes, but I usually can't actively root against US amateur athletes - I say usually cause I'm kinda starting to hope Bode Miller bites the dust :P To be a self-absorbed jerk is one thing but to totally act like you don't even care after you lose, in a way that's probably worse than Johnny Weir wearing the CCCP shirt - which he obviously did as a sort of 'hello my name is Johnny Weir and I want everyone to think I'm a p-ick' act :rolleyes:

Plus the way the coverage gets packaged, they usually spotlight the foreign athletes when the Americans don't have much of a chance so I don't have the problem of rooting for one I like over the other :lol: The coverage kind of caters to people like me and over half of Olympic watchers that don't watch any of these other sports, even figure skating other than in the Olympics.

Edited by Hasan4978

To be a self-absorbed jerk is one thing but to totally act like you don't even care after you lose, in a way that's probably worse than Johnny Weir wearing the CCCP shirt - which he obviously did as a sort of 'hello my name is Johnny Weir and I want everyone to think I'm a p-ick' act :rolleyes:

Wait I must have missed something. Did Johnny Weir seriously wear a CCCP shirt?

Why should Bode Miller care? He already banked a ton of money for those silly Nike commercials. He can go back to making money when the pro ski tour picks back up. Yes he probably makes a little more money if he had won some events but as you said, noone cares about skiing until the next Olympics.

Yeah during the profile of him the other night they showed him in a CCCP shirt during the montage.

Petey you're correct, Bode Miller has (partly cause of the well-timed headline-grabbing statements pre-Olympics) made more money than like 98% of the people competing in this Olympics, so I can't root for him with the same fervor that I can root for the kid Lidgety who upstaged him, or Chad Hendrick who though he's a big favorite is still a relative newcomer and at least seems pretty humble.

Edited by Hasan4978

Yeah, during his feature interview the other night, he was wearing a CCCP track jacket. I was cursing at the TV when I saw it, I thought it was disgusting to wear anything of a country you are not representing when you are in the Olympics of all things. Sure I can understand him wearing it at any other time, but I really think he did it for the F You factor, which is lame.

Yeah during the profile of him the other night they showed him in a CCCP shirt during the montage.

I'm very nationalistic and patriotic but when my one friend wheres that shirt to school I have no problem because I know its all in fun. But I can't believe an athlete representing the USA at the Olympics would do that.

As for me, I was fired up when Hasek took the 98 Czech team on his back and won Gold...and especially when they beat Canada....

I root for the USA and against Canada...one in the same really...

Honestly...I think the whole pros are playing in the Olympcis theme has lost a little zip...at least for me...Im really not that into it right now..thought I would be...but Im just not.

It wasn't noticed for three full periods after he stopped playing. It's so typical. The media didn't notice, the commentators didn't notice -- in studio and out. Even people here didn't notice.

Anyway, I just got the funniest image of Patrik being kept out because Lou went all Godfather on the Czech team powers-that-be.

I don't understand how something like that can be overlooked. I caught the third period of the Czech-Germany game the other day and picked up on it right away. It's unbelievable.

2-0 Russia now - a PP goal by Kovalev, then a rebound goal by Ovechkin on an odd-man rush. It's interesting that Kovalev barely moved a muscle after his goal, whereas Ovechkin had one of his typically exuberant celebrations.

Interesting observation. Kovalev's the team captain and experienced while Ovechkin is the new face. That's the only explanation. Other than that, the Russians dominated that game. I kind of expected them to win cause they had to bounceback. But 5-0? Sweden got completely outskated. If Russia plays like that (especially Nabokov and the D), they can beat anyone.

FVCK!!!12!!!! :argh::argh::evilcry:

This team is just not good enough to compete in this tournament!!!58!

:saddevil: oh, 3-0 at the end of a Swedish powerplay

I think you're jumping the gun here. Combine the fact that Russia lost in an ultracompetitive opening game against improved Slovakia while Sweden had an easy time of it playing their third stringer in a 7-2 win over Kazkhastan.

You combine those two factors and Sweden had almost no chance today. They'll bounceback.

I still love Gomer! :P

On another note, even though I do not like a lot of the players on the USA team, I will always cheer for them because they are my countrymen and they deserve my full support. I do not understand how Americans can not cheer for their own team. Its a disgrace. GO USA! USA ALL THE WAY!

I agree with your sentiment. But to each their own. Team USA will always be first in my heart. I could care less if three Devils and three Islanders and a Flyer comprise it. It's America and they represent our country.

I want them to win it all. P.S. I love your sig avatar.

I think some people take so much pride in who's representing their country first. They see a player from a hated rival and cringe. I will never approach it that way when it comes to these international tournaments because those players represent the country I live in. I am very proud of that and take a lot of pride in it.

USA!!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!!!

Petey you're correct, Bode Miller has (partly cause of the well-timed headline-grabbing statements pre-Olympics) made more money than like 98% of the people competing in this Olympics, so I can't root for him with the same fervor that I can root for the kid Lidgety who upstaged him, or Chad Hendrick who though he's a big favorite is still a relative newcomer and at least seems pretty humble.

I agree. It's much easier to root for an athlete who isn't self absorbed. It's nice to know there are still some athletes who can demonstrate that kind of sportsmanship.

Joey Cheek tops that list.

There are people that don't buy into all the rah rah jingoism associated with the Olympics and would rather see players they like win than players who just happen to live between the same arbitrary borders as they do.

Well why do fans become fans of a certain team? Is it not their location? Not sure about you, but my guess is most Devils fans are Devils fans because they live in NJ and the Devils are from NJ. Aren't state borders arbitrary too then? I guess we could be like bruins and just root for every team that has a liked player on it.

I heard on the Score that Hasek will announce tomorrow if he's staying or not, supposedly he has said there is a 30% chance of him staying. It would not be that major of a loss if he leaves..really, i mean their number 2 is pretty damn good as well. :boogie: Go home Dominic!! :boogie: Or no stay and injure yourself worse so the SEns will suck in the playoffs..yeah..you should absolutely stay in Turino!!

I like your thinking Anna, I like your thinking! :D

Well that's cuz great minds think alike... :D

Well why do fans become fans of a certain team? Is it not their location? Not sure about you, but my guess is most Devils fans are Devils fans because they live in NJ and the Devils are from NJ. Aren't state borders arbitrary too then? I guess we could be like bruins and just root for every team that has a liked player on it.

While that is true for diehard fans it is less true for casual fans. I mean you see tons of Yankee fans wherever they play and while some of them came out from the Tri-State Area for the games or have some other connection to area most don't; they root for the Yankees because they are good and will move on to the next hot team when the wind switches. Hockey is the same way. Look at all the Red Wings and Avs fans across the country. Football is probably the most blatant. Growing up I'd say 90+% of people at my schools rooted for a local team in baseball and hockey. Football was pretty split between Giants/Jets and Other teams (mostly Raiders and Cowboys but some Steelers and Dolphins too).

Announced on NBCOlympics.com:

Hasek is returning home. Vokoun is now the Czech's number one goalie for the games.

Well, that's too bad for them. Vokoun didn't play well yesterday but he did help lead them to the World Championship last year over Canada in Austria. This is a big chance for him to shine.