El Diablo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.graphicghana.info/article.asp?artid=10643

Bird Flu Scare, Politician Wants World Cup Cancelled

(2/22/2006)

A German Green party politician said the football World Cup, which will be played in Germany from June 9 to July 9, should be cancelled because of the outbreak of bird flu in the country.

"The virus is here, and we have a giant sports event on our hands. I would be tempted to say let us be cautious and call it off," said Baerbel Hoehn, the leader of the parliamentary committee for agriculture.

The World Cup organising committee refused to comment but Hoehn found support from World Health Organisation expert, Klaus Stoehr, who said he did not think the suggestion amounted to "scare-mongering."

"We should think very carefully about what we are going to do if we have a human case of Avian Influenza," he said.

The 2006 World Cup is expected to bring some three million football fans to Germany, and the country has been preparing to host the event since 2000.

The dangerous H5N1 strain of bird flu reached German shores last week, and 103 dead birds have so far tested positive for the disease.

:rant:

http://www.graphicghana.info/article.asp?artid=10643

Bird Flu Scare, Politician Wants World Cup Cancelled

(2/22/2006)

A German Green party politician said the football World Cup, which will be played in Germany from June 9 to July 9, should be cancelled because of the outbreak of bird flu in the country.

"The virus is here, and we have a giant sports event on our hands. I would be tempted to say let us be cautious and call it off," said Baerbel Hoehn, the leader of the parliamentary committee for agriculture.

The World Cup organising committee refused to comment but Hoehn found support from World Health Organisation expert, Klaus Stoehr, who said he did not think the suggestion amounted to "scare-mongering."

"We should think very carefully about what we are going to do if we have a human case of Avian Influenza," he said.

The 2006 World Cup is expected to bring some three million football fans to Germany, and the country has been preparing to host the event since 2000.

The dangerous H5N1 strain of bird flu reached German shores last week, and 103 dead birds have so far tested positive for the disease.

:rant:

Hey I say Move the worldcup tothe USA!! What othe countyr could get it set up this quickly???

Yeah - well... then again you also like wrestling... :rolleyes:

*wishes the bird flu on you for dissing wrestling.....*** JK!! :ph34r:

*wishes the bird flu on you for dissing wrestling.....*** JK!! :ph34r:

you know.... there is a wrestling thread.....

anywho...

MARCH 1 TUNE-UP FRIENDLYs

USA - Poland Kaiserslautern (Germany) - Fritz-Walter-Stadion

Live on ESPN2 (Telemundo Delay)

03/01/2006 2:00 PM ET

Albania - Lithuania Tirana - Qemal Stafa Stadium

Algeria- Burkina Faso Rouen (France) - Stade Robert Diochon

Austria - Canada Vienna - Ernst Happel Stadium

Azerbaijan - Ukraine Baku - Tofik Bakhramov Republican Stadium

Croatia - Argentina Basel - St. Jakob-Park

England - Uruguay Liverpool - Anfield Road

France - Slovakia Paris - St. Denis

Italy - Germany Florence - Stadio Artemio Franch

Iran - Costa Rica Tehran - Azadi Stadium

Ireland - Sweden Dublin - Lansdowne Road

Israel - Denmark Ramat Gan - Ramat Gan Stadium

Luxembourg - Belgium Luxembourg - Stade Josy Barthel

Macedonia - Bulgaria Skopje - City Stadium (Gradski Stadium)

Mexico - Ghana Dallas (USA)

Netherlands - Ecuador Amsterdam - Amsterdam ArenA

Northern Ireland - Estonia Belfast

Russia - Brazil Moscow - Lokomotiv Stadium

Scotland - Switzerland Glasgow

Senegal - Norway Dakar

South Korea - Angola Seoul - Seoul World Cup Stadium

Spain - Ivory Coast Valladolid - Estadio Municipal Jose Zorrilla

Tunisia - Serbia & Montenegro Tunis - Rades - Stade 7 Novembre

Turkey - Czech Republic TBD

Venezuela - Colombia Puerto Ordaz - Estadio Polideportivo Cachamay

Wales - Paraguay Cardiff - Millenium Stadium

Some thoughts on USA -Guatemalas' game last week -

USA starting to roll over opponents even for friendlies..

Last 3 games 12 goals for.. that's an insane average.

A young squad-Arena looking over the depth. Eddie Johnson is a beast

Here are the new kits for Germany

75_316155_06USAhome.jpg

HOME

75_316154_06USAaway.jpg

AWAY

Next game vs POLAND March 1

and then vs host WC nation GERMANY March 22

Champions League action this week

Libertadores in action too.

:boogie::boogie:

Love the white jersey donot like the blue jersey that much

From MSNBC.com

Real Madrid boss falls on his sword, says he hopes his departure will help club

By CIARAN GILES

Associated Press Sports

Updated: 10:18 a.m. ET Feb. 28, 2006

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Florentino Perez, the man who turned Real Madrid from an old-fashioned soccer club into a star-studded global marketing project, says he stepped down because of the pitiful team spirit he had allowed to develop.

"We created a great team and maybe I educated them wrongly and they got things confused,'' Perez said Monday after the club's board accepted his shock resignation.

"Maybe because there was too much success and misunderstanding of my message,'' he added. "There are some players who are mixed up and I wasn't able to sort them out. Maybe accepting my responsibility and leaving the presidency we can straighten things out.''

Evidence of this appeared in at least one player's reaction to his resignation.

"I couldn't care less,'' Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos told sport daily Marca.

Fellow Brazilian Ronaldo, who last week complained that he wasn't appreciated by Madrid fans, told sport daily As: "It's a sad day for me. Florentino was the only one who stood up for me in Real Madrid.''

Midfielder David Beckham, one of Perez's most high profile signings, said the president's departure may affect his own future. The England captain's contract expires at the end of next season.

"The club have already expressed their feelings in wanting me to stay a few more years. I want to stay at Real Madrid - but we'll see,'' Beckham said.

"I want to thank Florentino, because he gave me the chance to play for such a huge club. I will always have fond memories of him. Some of the players he brought in are amazing, and he has to be congratulated.''

There was no immediate reaction from France's Zinedine Zidane. Captain Raul Gonzalez, who publicly lambasted Ronaldo for complaining, was also mute.

"It's sad and hard because Florentino Perez did so much for the club,'' Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas said. "I believe the ones most responsible are us the players.''

The resignation made the front pages of all Spanish papers and was the lead item on news bulletins.

"A Sad End'' read the banner headline in As, while Marca described Perez as "A Victim of His Own Stars.''

Perez, who took over as president in July 2000, said he decided to quit after Madrid lost 2-1 at lowly Mallorca on Sunday, leaving it third in the Spanish league, 10 points behind leader and arch rival Barcelona. The result left Madrid heading for its third successive season without a title.

"I was a cork that needed to be popped to shake up the club,'' Perez said.

Perez, who is also president of construction giant ACS, took over the powerhouse soccer club in 2000 and whipped it into a global brand, spending ?415.3 million (US$492 million) on 17 new players, including a record ?75.1 million (US$89 million) to acquire Zidane from Juventus in 2001.

Money from the sale of the club's training ground on prime real estate helped him acquire such talents as Beckham, Ronaldo and Portugal's Luis Figo, earning the collection of superstars the title of "Los Galacticos.''

Perez's pledge each season was that the world's best would play for Madrid.

Financial success ensued, based on clever exploitation of Madrid's huge marketing potential around the world, especially in Asia and the Far East.

The club recently replaced Manchester United as the world's richest soccer entity, according to an independent report released by accounting firm Deloitte.

Madrid increased its revenue by 17 percent to ?275.7 million (US$327 million) for the 2004-05 season.

Madrid enjoyed initial success on the field under Perez, winning a record ninth European Champions Cup in 2002 and the Spanish league titles in 2001 and 2003 - the latter for a record 29th time.

However, the team's performance quickly declined following Perez's surprise decision a day after winning the 2003 league title to sack Vicente del Bosque, the coach who had led the team to its most recent triumphs.

The next season, Beckham's first, Madrid failed to win a trophy for the first time in Perez's presidency.

Perez managed a landslide re-election as club president in 2004.

A centerpiece of his future projects was to refurbish the 80,000-seat Santiago Bernabeu stadium with a steel-and-glass sliding roof, which would be in place by 2008. A new training ground was also established near Madrid's international airport.

But the team remained starved of sporting success, despite the appointment of five coaches in less three years: Carlos Queiroz, Jose Antonio Camacho, Mariano Garcia Remon, Vanderlei Luxemburgo and Juan Ramon Lopez Caro.

Fernando Martin, another construction company owner, will replace Perez until the next election in 2008.

ESPN2/deportes has rights to Champions theyll be showing the big Spaniard teams this week

FSE has rights to Libertadores and they show a lot of those games nightly.

USA plays Czech Republic at 6pm (local time ) on June 12

coll i'll havr to check the Duece sched to see when the games are....

EXACTLY ! :boogie:

by the way... look at this goal : Fred from Lyon

I hate this team... but WOooo ! incredible squad this year... and what a goal ! (look at the replay at the end)

for the little story... the player was daddy few day before this goal...

Other goal are here : http://www.soccers.fr/index.php?showtopic=12163&st=0

Edited by moustic

EXACTLY ! :boogie:

by the way... look at this goal : Fred from Lyon

I hate this team... but WOooo ! incredible squad this year... and what a goal ! (look at the replay at the end)

for the little story... the player was daddy few day before this goal...

Other goal are here : http://www.soccers.fr/index.php?showtopic=12163&st=0

Watched som of the Revolution game on FSN last night...

1/4 final

28 & 29 march / 4 & 5 April

Arsenal - Juventus Turin (funny for the frenchies... funny too if Viera lost against Arsenal :whistling: )

Lyon - Milan AC ( Forza Milano :evil: )

Inter Milan or Ajax Amsterdam - Villarreal CF (Riquelme SupaSta :dance: )

Benfica Lisbonne - FC Barcelone (GREAT GREAT GAME ! :boogie: Bisca BARCA !!! )

I cant watch soccer.. it bores me..I dont know why.

I played soccer...indoor and outdoor, for 4 years..and then in High School I kept stats for the varsity boys, because i was interested but could no longer play.

But when I try to watch it on tv..i just cant get into it.

I remember how I used to love Lalas and Cobi jones and Ernie Stewart..and meola..i met Jones and Meola and got pictures..I mean..i dont get how my love of the game just disappeared.

But to be honest.. I played basketball for 8 years on 2 teams a year..and I pretty much dont enjoy that anymore either..unless Im playing with friends. I guess I really like playing and not watching.

I do like march madness...and I love watching hockey although ive never played...but It seems other than that if im not playing..im bored.

Sorry.. i think i just made this post not all soccer related in a soccer thread :)

I was just thinking out loud.