Cbssportsline.com Rumor Mill

NJayDevil

Rumor Mill: Penguins looking to trade Kovalev

By Wes Goldstein

SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Tell Wes your opinion!

Despite being in a tough fight for a playoff spot, the Pittsburgh Penguins might deal high-scoring right wing Alexei Kovalev , one of the game's top offensive talents.

According to a rumor first reported this weekend in Pittsburgh's Post-Gazette, the Penguins have talked to as many as five teams about Kovalev, who becomes a restricted free agent in July and is eligible for salary arbitration.

Kovalev, 29, is completing a two-year deal that pays him $4.6 million this season, and is looking at a new pact worth about $9 million per season. He could conceivably get at least $7 million in an arbitration hearing, which is still more than budget-conscious Pittsburgh is willing to pay.

Alexei Kovalev is hoping to get a deal worth about $9 million per season.(AP)

As a result, rumors about Kovalev's possible departure have gained a great deal of attention the past few days. The Penguins, whose $31 million payroll ranks 22nd in the league, were turned down when they offered Kovalev a five-year, $30 million extension last summer, and the two sides haven't spoken since talks broke off at the start of the season.

Rather than pursue a situation that could throw his salary structure out of whack, Pittsburgh GM Craig Patrick is expected to try to gain something in return for what might be the hottest commodity available on the trade market.

And apparently, he has already started. The Post-Gazette said two sources, one described as close to the team and another as close to Kovalev, had confirmed active talks between Patrick and several deep-pocketed organizations including Dallas, Philadelphia, Toronto, the Rangers and the Islanders, with an eye toward completing the deal by the All-Star break.

The Penguins are said to be looking for some immediate help in the form of established players rather than the prospects they acquired when they traded Jaromir Jagr 18 months ago. Pittsburgh could use a puck-moving defenseman and a young NHL forward with some upside.

Patrick, who characteristically dismisses trade rumors as out of hand, didn't try to short-circuit the story when questioned by reporters. He responded by saying, "Not right now, no," when asked whether he was pushing to deal Kovalev, and offered a "no comment" when questioned about Pittsburgh's ability to afford the player over the long haul.

Kovalev, ranked third in the league with 20 goals and 35 assists in 45 games, was voted to start the All-Star Game.

From Russia with love

Maxim Afinogenov has nearly recovered from a concussion, but he can't seem to shake the lingering effects of rumors surrounding the cause of his injury.

The speedy Sabres forward hasn't played after getting hurt in September a few days before training camp opened. He has resumed skating and could be back in the lineup before January ends, but in the meantime, he continues to deal with speculation that his setback was not caused by anything that happened on the ice, as he has claimed.

Afinogenov told the Sabres he was injured during a pickup game in Moscow on Sept. 3, a day before his 23rd birthday, when he was supposed to sign a new two-year, $2.4 million deal with Buffalo. He said he was wearing a visorless helmet and was hit in the face by a slapshot.

However rumors that began shortly after the injury suggested Afinogenov might have been the victim of foul play, courtesy of the Russian mob interested in a cut of his big payday. Recently, the rumors have resurfaced and picked up steam as Afinogenov continues to suffer the effects of post-concussion syndrome.

"There have been whisperings," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff conceded.

While Ruff added that he believed his player's version of events, teammate Alexei Zhitnik, who claims to have been a victim of Russian mob extortion attempts in the past, said the issue should be left alone.

"A lot of rumors are going around, but lately it's gotten quiet," Zhitnik said. "It doesn't make sense to dig around and find out. We're just happy to have him back."

One-timers

With the Bruins quickly falling down the Eastern Conference standings, rumors have begun about the future of coach Robbie Ftorek. Six coaches already have been fired, and Ftorek has the unfortunate precedent of once being canned with only eight games left in a season. That was in 2000 by the Devils, who went on to win the Stanley Cup under replacement Larry Robinson.

Speaking of Boston, there are reports that the Bruins are trying to pry goaltender Arturs Irbe out of Carolina.

A report out of Edmonton says the Flames only wanted to rent Chris Drury for the season and will trade him over the summer. Drury, who is earning $2.5 million, has not produced the way Calgary expected when they acquired him from Colorado in a deal that cost them Derek Morris.

He's been named "Hockey God" He would be great on this team. Wouldn't take much to get him if they say that he's only there as a rental. Drury has great talent.

The Los Angeles Daily News says the Kings are looking to move right wing Ziggy Palffy and his $7.5 million contract before the March trade deadline.

According to the Arizona Republic, the Coyotes are close to a deal that would send defenseman Teppo Numminen, their team captain and the longest-serving player in franchise history, to the Red Wings.

Here's Drury again.

I don't want Drury on my team.

I hold grudges.

I am THRILLED he's wasting away in Calgary land. Watched him the other day... he's so out of it that he's off Iginla's line... making lots of turnovers and generally looking like a guy who gets free for important shots when people are taking care of bigger threats on the ice.

It does my heart good.

IMHO, I think Drury would be a great addition here, but what would it take to get him? He doesn't answer the "size" issue, but then again we're on top w/out it. Drury could be plugged in on either of the top 2 lines, and make them even better. I think he's toiling in Calgary because of his team/linemates. It'll take a lot to get him though, so, a doubtful scenario.

Vince

Shmeh... we have plenty of Drurys on this team. Don't need another.

Palfy would be a nice touch, but there are about 5 teams in the league that could afford to sign him - all listed above in the Kovlev rumor.

Trades rarely perk up a struggling team.. see also: Mogilny in 2000. But they will help a team playing OK play a lot better..

Devils aren't going to make anything close to a major deal until Tverdovsky gets back into the Devs' lineup.

Diminishing returns, sundstrom, no way Calgary accepts prospects and picks for a guy they just traded their best defenseman for.. Devils would have to give at least Berglund and Gionta, or possibly Friesen and Berglund to get Drury. Plus, he's too small for the Devils..

Well Nieuwy's a member of our team.

Drury's the guy who burned our team.

I see a difference.

Obviously you're entitled to your own opinion on Nieuwy. And all I'm gonna do when I hear it is spout what I know to be true in his defense.

If you hate Nieuwy the way I hate Drury though, something's really wrong and you're gonna have to see the shrink with me.

I HAAAAAAAAATTTTTE DRURY!!!!!!!!!