DEVILS MIGHT NEED MOGILNY

Elias26

Link

DEVILS MIGHT NEED MOGILNY

By MARK (N)Єverson

March 22, 2006 -- Flyers 2 Devils 1

PHILADELPHIA - It's time. If it's really "Team First," Lou Lamoriello should bury the hatchet and bring back the guy who once buried 76 biscuits.

It worked 20 years ago, back in 1986. Rangers coach Ted "Darth" Sator banished Pierre Larouche to the Flyers' (!) Hershey farm, and had to eat humble pie to bring him back in the final weeks of the season to save a team dying for goals. The Rangers went to the semis in that season that looked lost before Larouche returned.

Outscored 19-7 in dropping four of five, the Devils' 2006 playoff berth is similarly slipping away because their offense has vanished. Last night's 2-1 loss to the Flyers was the second of 11 against teams now holding playoff berths in their final 15, and the Devils' second straight such loss.

The trade deadline is over, and Alexander Mogilny still languishes while receiving his $3.5 million salary in Albany, dispatched there in January. Whatever Lamoriello said about not bringing him back, he should eat those words. It's time to try anything.

Lamoriello made a drastic change last night, but breaking up his top line by separating Patrik Elias from Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta didn't work the necessary wonders. Lamoriello needs more offensive help, and should remember that when he demoted Mogilny, now 37, he was the Devils' third-leading scorer.

Whether the separation was nasty or not, the Devils need more offensive players, and Mogilny still ranks tied for eighth on the team in this season's scoring at 12-13-25 in 35 games, and has scored 474 goals in his career. He's been in and out of the lineup in Albany, but a recall, which would require re-entry waivers and cap room, might spark him and the team. The risk is that if claimed, the Devils would have to pay half next year's salary, which would count against their cap.

For the ninth time in 11 games, the Devils were held to two goals or less. Lamoriello, however, saw signs.

"I was pleased. That was our best game over the last couple of weeks once we got past the first couple of minutes," Lamoriello said. "The game could have gone either way."

But the offense failed again. The Flyers, who visit the Garden tonight, were buoyed by Peter Forsberg's return from a knee injury and moved within two points of the Rangers atop the Atlantic Division with a second straight victory.

Gionta, who scored the Devils' previous goal in Pittsburgh on Thursday, ended a drought of 126:29 at 3:55 of the third. Carrying up right wing, Gionta stick-handled the puck into the skates of Derian Hatcher and snapped his 37th under Niittymaki. But they failed to find another.

"We can't expect to get in playing like this and not scoring goals," Jamie Langenbrunner said.

Their cushion has shrunk and they need some help. They may already have some if they'll give it a try.

What, are they going to score less?

I'm still very confused on how anyone proposes bringing him back up without sacrificing next season?

Even if he wasn't playing lousy in Albany, I just don't see how we bring him up without SOMEBODY taking a flyer on him - even if it is the Blues just to spite Lou and the Devils.

From the article:

"The risk is that if claimed, the Devils would have to pay half next year's salary, which would count against their cap."

What exactly went on with Mogilny? Is he claiming injury? Did he just stop playing? I mean am I the only one that feels the CBA should have address vets who don't show to the minor leagues?? or did it? I know if I got demoted from job and didn't show for the new position my boss wouldn't be all "ok, that's fine you've been around for a while you can stay home and I'll pay you anyway."

Anyway, if he's faking an injury there has to be something Lou can do to null next season's contract...they have things in the CBA to prevent coaches and GM's from taking advantage of the cap system they should have the same for biotchy players doing the same...

ALmo isn't the answer to this team. Too much risk for next season in bringing him up, and he was banished obviously for some reason. He hasn't done a thing in Albany, in and out of the lineup as it says. No thank you.

The team will turn it around, they are in a slump..just like always...they don't score enough, but they'll put together some wins. And be out in the first round. :)

I was actually talking about this at the HS Finals, during one of the intermissions... why I think AlMo WOULD clear waivers.....

what playoff team would want to go pick up a guy who would be ineligible for their playoff roster? (that is the idea of the trade deadline after all isn't it ??)

what non-playoff team would want this dead money on their salary cap next year ?

That in mind and based on his NJ and the three times I saw him in Albany he's not the answer, but it's so hard to agure that Parise-Kozlov-Mogilny isn't better then 4th line B in Brylin-Parise-Marshall......

but hey this is why we're fans spewing on a message board and not making NHL Personell decisions :P

The guy quit playing in 2001.

Hey!! Lucky Lou was smart enough to know that Mogs was over. How would you like to be Pittsburgh? Gonchar is f**ing off every game and they haven't been able to find a way of getting rid of him. At least we're not "STUCK" with mogs.

GP G A Pts PIM

18 3 10 13 17

Nothing to write home about.

from hockeydb.com

3 goals? geez...the guy is finished. if he can't light up the ahl he won't do anything for the devils. he is not the answer. basically we just have to hope that the new lines mesh and they get some confidence. a blowout win against atlanta could go a long way.