IGOR'S GIFT STICKS WITH HOT SCOTT

Rock

IGOR'S GIFT STICKS WITH HOT SCOTT

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/61477.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

March 26, 2006 -- LEAFS at DEVILS Tonight 7:30 - FSN

WFAN (660)

Another man's trash has become Scott Gomez's magic wand.

Gomez has become finisher as well as feeder this season, and he credits now-retired Igor Larionov for giving him sticks that put more zip in his shot.

"I used to use more of a heel curve, but when Igor was here [in 2003-04], he received a load of sticks that weren't his pattern. I tried them, and I liked them, and he said I should keep them," Gomez said.

Armed with his new weapons, Gomez has reached the 25-goal mark for the first time as the Devils face the Maple Leafs at the Meadowlands tonight (7:30, FSN, WFAN).

"I just like a stick that's light. Ever since I was a kid, if I found a light stick, I was in heaven," Gomez said.

He opened Ken Daneyko Night by breaking up left wing and rifling the puck past Andrew Raycroft only 44 seconds into the Devils' 4-2 victory over Boston Friday.

Other years, he might have delayed on his open path for support. Not lately, although he says he still prefers passing to sniping.

"I still consider myself a set-up man. I'd rather pass the puck than shoot it," Gomez said.

"I'm probably just shooting when I get the chance now rather than looking first to pass the puck."

Gomez has credited therapist Tommy Plasko with enforcing a bike regimen this season that he says has strengthened his legs.

He stands 5-5-10 in his last 10 games and ranks second (25-39-64) in Devils scoring to linemate Brian Gionta (39-28-67), both having played all 70 games for New Jersey this season.

Gomez wouldn't hear of missing Daneyko Night, despite the scratched cornea he suffered the previous evening from the stick of Atlanta's Niclas Havelid.

Edited by Rock