OGT: Devils vs. Rangers, 7:30pm, MSG & FSNY

UnderDogX

GAME: New York Rangers (44-21-12) at New Jersey Devils (41-27-9).

njd_comp.gifnyr_comp.gif

The New York Rangers can extend their lead in the Atlantic Division and take a step closer to their first division title in 12 years when they wrap up their season series with the New Jersey Devils.

With 100 points, New York has a five-point lead over second-place Philadelphia and is nine points in front of the third-place Devils with five games to play. The Rangers and Flyers will finish their season series on Saturday in Philadelphia.

New York hasn't won a division title since 1993-94, when it went on to win the Stanley Cup and end a 54-year championship drought.

The Rangers won their third in a row and fifth in six games with a 4-3 overtime win Saturday over Boston. League scoring leader Jaromir Jagr had a goal and two assists, but it was linemate Michael Nylander's goal 40 seconds into the extra session that lifted New York.

Jagr's goal was his 53rd - eclipsing the Rangers' single-season mark of 52 set by Adam Graves in 1993-94.

"It's a little bit of a relief. I don't think it's just for me, it's for my linemates," Jagr said. "I think they feel the pressure too and sometimes they're giving me the puck too much.

"Maybe they should shoot it and I go for the rebound, but now we can just play hockey."

Jagr already had surpassed the club record for most points in a season, set by Jean Ratelle (109) in 1971-72.

Two of Jagr's three goals against the Devils this season came in a 4-2 win on Nov. 3 in New Jersey.

The Devils also have a player coming up on a single-season milestone. Brian Gionta extended his points streak to 10 games with his 43rd goal in New Jersey's 3-2 win Saturday over Montreal.

Gionta added an assist, giving him seven goals and seven assists during the run. He needs four goals in the final five games to top the single-season mark of 46, set by Pat Verbeek in 1987-88.

Gionta has six goals and an assist in seven games this season versus the Rangers.

Linemate Scott Gomez also has been on a scoring tear lately. He had two goals and an assist against the Canadiens, giving him three goals and four assists in his last two contests.

Gomez has two goals and an assist in his last two games against the Rangers after being held without a point in his previous four games against them.

---------------------LINK---------------------------

STANDINGS : Rangers - 100 points, 1st place, Atlantic Division. Devils - 91 points, 3rd place, 9 PB, Atlantic Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Rangers - Jagr, 53 goals, 65 assists and 118 points; Darius Kasparaitis, 97 PIM. Devils - Gionta, 43 goals and 77 points; Gomez, 46 assists; Cam Janssen, 91 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Rangers - Power play: 18.8 percent (79 for 420), 8th in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.5 percent (386 for 457), 5th. Devils - Power play: 17.4 percent (72 for 414), 21st. Penalty killing: 81.7 percent (273 for 334), 18th.

GOALTENDERS: Rangers - Kevin Weekes (14-10-3, 0 SO, 2.82 GAA); Henrik Lundqvist (30-11-9, 2, 2.18). Devils - Martin Brodeur (38-23-7, 5, 2.61); Scott Clemmensen (3-4-2, 0, 3.35).

SEASON SERIES: Rangers, 4-3.

LAST MEETING: March 4; Devils, 2-1. At East Rutherford, N.J., Brodeur made 26 saves to become the first goalie with 10 straight 30-win seasons. Martin Rucinsky scored for New York.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Rangers - 19-13-6 on the road; Devils - 24-11-3 at home.

Edited by UnderDogX

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to come out hard and fast, no silly penalties, and no bad icings, bombard weeks with a bunch of shots, get traffic in front of him, get in his face.

We need to skate fast with good sharp crisp passing.

We also need to finish our checks and be physical.

Jagr has 47% of the Rangers goals, shut him down and the Devils win.

We need to come out hard and fast, no silly penalties, and no bad icings, bombard weeks with a bunch of shots, get traffic in front of him, get in his face.

We need to skate fast with good sharp crisp passing.

We also need to finish our checks and be physical.

Jagr has 47% of the Rangers goals, shut him down and the Devils win.

I am guessing you mean he has points in 47% of their goals.